Best Budget Headphones
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Shahi

New Head-Fier
I literally have no clue about Headphones, so hoping you guys can help! I need a pair of headphones, my budget is tiny at about £40-50. So far I've found only the Koss Porta Pro which is pretty cheap and the [size=1.1em][size=1.1em]Panasonic RP-HTX7. Anyone have any ideas? :D Thanks![/size][/size]

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 37
Without knowing the headphones that are available in your area, and your listening tastes, we'll be shooting blindly with our suggestions.  Do you need closed back headphones that don't leak sound out, and have good isolation, or is that not a consideration? 

Take a look through the Budget and Entry Level headphones in this buying guide and see if any of them are available for you:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:
Without knowing the headphones that are available in your area, and your listening tastes, we'll be shooting blindly with our suggestions.  Do you need closed back headphones that don't leak sound out, and have good isolation, or is that not a consideration? 

Take a look through the Budget and Entry Level headphones in this buying guide and see if any of them are available for you:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Hey, thanks for replying so quickly. xD I'll be getting the headphones online if that's what you mean. Hmm, I sort of listen to everything, I enjoy classical, but when I'm gaming I like to listen to fast paced heavy bass stuff, big fan of rock too. Not so much RnB and Poppy music. Isolation isn't really a problem, it's just for the confines of my bedroom :D Thanks!

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 37
x3 CAL !!!

or if u want a good seal.......philips uptown. and cut your macdonalds/starbucks for a month.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 37
(1) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, $30-$45. Deep punchy lows, slightly recessed mids, bright highs. #1#2
(1) JVC HARX700, $30-$65. "A poor mans A700." Thumpy/muddy bass, decent mids, decent highs. #1
(1-B) Sony MDR XB500, $45-$75. Comfortable. Strong bass, recessed mids, decent highs. #1#2

Could someone explain this terminology please? Bright highs, Muddy bass, recessed mids? :/

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:
(1) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, $30-$45. Deep punchy lows, slightly recessed mids, bright highs. #1#2
(1) JVC HARX700, $30-$65. "A poor mans A700." Thumpy/muddy bass, decent mids, decent highs. #1
(1-B) Sony MDR XB500, $45-$75. Comfortable. Strong bass, recessed mids, decent highs. #1#2

Could someone explain this terminology please? Bright highs, Muddy bass, recessed mids? :/

Muddy bass? It sounds like those car stereos that all the wannabe gangstas drive. You know, the ones where all you can hear is BUH-BUMP-BUH-BUMP. The XB-500s are said to sound like that, but less extreme. "Bright" highs just mean that high-pitched sounds (like hi-hats, cymbals, and Justin Bieber) are going to be loud. Recessed mids (things like pianos, guitars, and normal human voices) are a little bit quiet in comparison to the bass and the treble of the XB500s.

Truthfully, and I'm biased towards them, I'd reccomend the Jaycar Pro Monitor Headphones. They're £27.25 plus shipping and are completely identical (same factory, same drivers, same carrying case, same earpads, different name) to the £84 Brainwavs HM5, which gets a lot of love around here.

Edit: The Jaycars are out of stock right now, but it's worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back