Best budget chair available in Canada?
Aug 24, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I decided to make my own thread:

I am a short person (5'2 maybe, 5'3.) I went to Ikea about a year back and picked up some cheap $129 chair. After using it for some time now (and probably getting several hours of use on it daily), I have come to hate it. Ontop of that, it's ripping and falling apart on me. I can't sit down and relax to music in it, it is just awful.

I am becoming intriuged in an new chair. The thing is, I am a kid, and I am not about to spend $800 for a Herman Miller or something. The chair will come out of my own money. To be reasonable, I figure I'de like to spend under $400-500 (Canadian preferabley) probably (the less the better), but I want something built solid, and not really a lounge chair (unless the foot part will fit under my ikea jerker which approx is maybe 2.3 feet in clearence and the chair itself is not too big.) If the lounge chair meets these requirements, I will consider that too. I am looking for something I can loft in, tilt back in, and sit in for several hours, maybe even just sit in it and listen to music.

So my first problem is, who sells these chairs in Canada (Greater Toronto area, I am in Thornhill)? What should I know before buying? Is this like buying a computer or a pair of headphones where there is a lot to learn and do your research on? If so, are there any links that may explain some features or what I should look for in these chairs?

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 49
I am considering more and more a Herman Miller aeron. I see all these different options that can drastically modify the prices. Do any large stores in Toronto like staples sell them?

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie
If you do buy a chair from Staples, make sure to use a $20 off $150 or $20 off $200 coupon. Up to 2 coupons can be stacked. www.pricenetwork.ca for coupon info.

Hehe, I visit RFD a lot, I know.

I fear I will either get a bulky chair if I buy something from staples like the executive one linked, or something like what I have already.

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 49
I don't believe Staples and office stores like them have the Aeron in their inventory. May want to look into office furnitures located in your area as they may carry them or can order it for you. If you want one, be ready to pay close to $800 if not more depending on the options you want.

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 49
Dude, you're 13. Tough it out.

01.jpg

rotfl.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I don't believe Staples and office stores like them have the Aeron in their inventory. May want to look into office furnitures located in your area as they may carry them or can order it for you. If you want one, be ready to pay close to $800 if not more depending on the options you want.

So what are all these options, what is the bare minimum, etc? I'm about 130/135 pounds and 5'3 (gotta stop eating damnit, haha), so I probably fit best into size B as my body is not done growing and I may end up 5'5 or 5'6. I want some recommendations for furniture stoers in the GTA that sell Herman Miller and other good brands, unforteuntly I don't know of any. I want to try out some of these chairs before purchasing of course. I'de really prefer to go to a B&M store then risk buying one online.

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Okay, so I decided to make my own thread:

I am a short person (5'2 maybe, 5'3.) I went to Ikea about a year back and picked up some cheap $129 chair. After using it for some time now (and probably getting several hours of use on it daily), I have come to hate it. Ontop of that, it's ripping and falling apart on me. I can't sit down and relax to music in it, it is just awful.

I am becoming intriuged in an new chair. The thing is, I am a kid, and I am not about to spend $800 for a Herman Miller or something. The chair will come out of my own money. To be reasonable, I figure I'de like to spend under $400-500 (Canadian preferabley) probably (the less the better), but I want something built solid, and not really a lounge chair (unless the foot part will fit under my ikea jerker which approx is maybe 2.3 feet in clearence and the chair itself is not too big.) If the lounge chair meets these requirements, I will consider that too. I am looking for something I can loft in, tilt back in, and sit in for several hours, maybe even just sit in it and listen to music.

So my first problem is, who sells these chairs in Canada (Greater Toronto area, I am in Thornhill)? What should I know before buying? Is this like buying a computer or a pair of headphones where there is a lot to learn and do your research on? If so, are there any links that may explain some features or what I should look for in these chairs?

I plan on buying a nice comfy chair for $59 USD at Staples. I really doubt you need to spend that much on a chair, considering the age group. I only want a chair because I have a wooden chair, and it can be quite uncomfortable and cold in the winter. I really suggest you save most of that money for something else.

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
ROFLMAO
biggrin.gif
, almost choked on my soda. Jag, check the link below to answer some of your questions:

http://www.aerons.com/compare.html?h...hly_Adjustable

Thanks, it looks like the $200 usd difference is worthwhile, are those both models that will be available in the store?

I checked herman millers site for dealers near me. I got very lucky (unusual), and there are 3, all about 20-30 minutes, but the good part is they line eachother up, so if I drive t one and have no luck, or want to see what the competition has to offer, I just drive south another 5 minutes (or my parents for that matter.)

Pyro, I think I have a comfort problem due to my weirdly shaped body. I have this huge curve thing going on in my back (especially lower back). I'de rather blow some of my barmitzvah money on an chair considering I sit in it many hours a day and comfortability can affect how well I think and am relaxed, then something like a new headphone amp, hehe.

Speaking of which, because of the curve in my back, should I be looking for chairs with a curve or something? Or is the aeron a good "all around" chair for everybody where you just need to find the right size and adjust it to your likings?

PS, on these chairs, I'm a bit confused. Can you tilt back in them and have them bend out sort of? Or is it one fixed position (except on the davanced model with the 5 degree computer thing) like my current chair?

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Thanks, it looks like the $200 usd difference is worthwhile, are those both models that will be available in the store?

I checked herman millers site for dealers near me. I got very lucky (unusual), and there are 3, all about 20-30 minutes, but the good part is they line eachother up, so if I drive t one and have no luck, or want to see what the competition has to offer, I just drive south another 5 minutes (or my parents for that matter.)

Pyro, I think I have a comfort problem due to my weirdly shaped body. I have this huge curve thing going on in my back (especially lower back). I'de rather blow some of my barmitzvah money on an chair considering I sit in it many hours a day and comfortability can affect how well I think and am relaxed, then something like a new headphone amp, hehe.

Speaking of which, because of the curve in my back, should I be looking for chairs with a curve or something? Or is the aeron a good "all around" chair for everybody where you just need to find the right size and adjust it to your likings?

PS, on these chairs, I'm a bit confused. Can you tilt back in them and have them bend out sort of? Or is it one fixed position (except on the davanced model with the 5 degree computer thing) like my current chair?

The back thing you are looking for is lumbar support I assume. Look for that on the chairs. Some have adjustable, some have fixed size, and so on..

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 49
Back issues? You're 13!

At least you're getting a nice chair...

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Back issues? You're 13!

At least you're getting a nice chair...

For the last 3-4 years I've made a bad decision in my life by not spending the time to research and get a perfect napsack for me, so I was lugging 30+ pounds on my back in an bag that was not fit for me, so I am doomed to think I have some sort of back problems. Until recently i was 100 poundsa nd under, so that weight was WAY too much for my back.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 49
If the office furniture store you're visiting carries the Aeron, they should be able to order either model if they don't have them in stock. There are many office and computer chairs that offer a curve back rest to support your back. The Aeron and a few other just go a little further by offering ajustable back support to better fit one's posture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back