Best android music player app?
Jun 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #451 of 633
Oh god.. Can't say anything else but Thanks for your dedication for this.. Will do check this thread again later when the need arise.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #453 of 633
Guys now that Foobar is out on Android is it better than USB Audio Player Pro? I can't tell a difference but I like the simplicity of Foobar's menu.

If you don't hear anything displeasing, don't worry about it. When sound is no longer a concern, the next most important facet is UI. Use what you like.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #454 of 633
If you don't hear anything displeasing, don't worry about it. When sound is no longer a concern, the next most important facet is UI. Use what you like.

After some heavy listening, I believe Foobar sounds better by a little bit. I like the UI and efficiency of Foobar more than UAPP too. I will be ditching UAPP for Foobar now and I excitedly await the changes Foobar has for it's updates.

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #456 of 633
I really liked the UI of foobar as well and the only thing that holds me from using it is the lack of EQ.

Some useless info:
24bit/192khz or worse yet 32bit/384khz used for listening is one of the biggest jokes the industry.  Somebody is making money and enjoying their time in the Bahamas while people are gobbling it all down and burying themselves in cables and big and heavy equipment in their basements looking for the meaning of life "listening" to things that they cannot hear.  No, Hi-Res audio source does not make any audible difference whatsoever, and neither do digital filters in most typical audio systems nowadays.  Internally they upscale to 24/96 or 24/192 anyways.  Hi-Res gives sound engineers more flexibility during mixing, that is it.  After a sound system is presented with a properly mixed 16bit/44.1Khz lossless audio there are about a million things that contribute to to the sound quality that reaches the ear, but the resolution of the audio source beyond 16/44.1 is not one of them.  It's just that numbers 32/384 are more than 16/44.1, therefore they MUST mean something, especially since they go with the catchy words High Resolution Audio.  See how I used all capital letters there.

Edit:  BTW using a high quality DAC is a great idea, and the info above does not make high resolution DAC useless at all.  It just means that there is no need to feed them audio above 16/44.1 in order to reap the benefits.

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #457 of 633
Well. Just listening to the Foob on the S S3 and S4 intially I was not impressed. Soundstage is more narrow than either Neutron or Hiby. Put Viper4android in the mix and all of a sudden it becomes a contender.
They need to get on with porting the plug ins for format support and all the other goodies Foob is known for. Elsewise it may well just be a flash in the android pan.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #460 of 633
  Well. Just listening to the Foob on the S S3 and S4 intially I was not impressed. Soundstage is more narrow than either Neutron or Hiby. Put Viper4android in the mix and all of a sudden it becomes a contender.
They need to get on with porting the plug ins for format support and all the other goodies Foob is known for. Elsewise it may well just be a flash in the android pan.

I agree that the foobar android needs some work.  Seems to be upsampling my FLAC files to 192kbps(without my permission)  and also seems to be a CPU hog on my phone (Sony Z3C) which was having a hard time keeping up.  And not nearly as many choices of settings as the PC app (and I'm a sucker for lots of settings! :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #461 of 633

I agree that the foobar android needs some work.  Seems to be upsampling my FLAC files to 192kbps(without my permission)  and also seems to be a CPU hog on my phone (Sony Z3C) which was having a hard time keeping up.  And not nearly as many choices of settings as the PC app (and I'm a sucker for lots of settings! :)

Where the foob wins here is simply its file handling. Point and shoot at its very best. No scanning or other overhead nonesense just point it at the right folder and go. Sadly that does not make up for what it lacks in format handling and other areas. But it's new and they have time (I hope) to get it together.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #464 of 633
I can't choose only one player by now.
Poweramp 3 Alpha good for jazz and instrumental but heavy genres lacks some power. And those annoying errors of 24-bit output (need "restart" of 24-bit output) on my HTC 10.
Neutron better (only) with heavies but only 48 Khz.
foobar2000 - good sound, 96 Khz output works for HTC 10 but I can't stand interface and format support. No cue, no ape, too much taps in menus and library.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #465 of 633
The only big difference I found that Poweramp 3 Alpha less loud than Neutron and foobar2000 mobile. I believe ~10% difference. Not sure who is wrong here but we're all know what they say about 10% loud = 50% "better". Set pre-amp in Neutron -6-6.7 dB to compensate it and the difference between Poweramp 3 Alpha (Build 703) and Neutron (1.89.5-ARM64) becomes very subtle. Poweramp just a little softer in my opinion but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back