Best amp for Beyerdynamic T1
Jan 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #167 of 214
Hi guys.

Have recently been lucky enough to get the wonderful T1s and they are sounding extremely good with a new tube amp that I have been the first to trial since Christmas - the Feliks-Audio Elise.

Although full production units won't be ready for a few weeks yet, you might be interested in having a look at it sometime. Here's a link to the first post that I am updating with relevant info as things progress...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #168 of 214
  Hi guys.

Have recently been lucky enough to get the wonderful T1s and they are sounding extremely good with a new tube amp that I have been the first to trial since Christmas - the Feliks-Audio Elise.

Although full production units won't be ready for a few weeks yet, you might be interested in having a look at it sometime. Here's a link to the first post that I am updating with relevant info as things progress...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

i would want say something without the animosity, you should describe the characteristic of sound, cuz the audio isn't like computer or sports car that can measure the performance, in some way yes, but not totallity. I didn't listen the Feliks-Audio Elise, but there are people that don't like colored sound and viceversa, i mean you can't say they are extremely good Elise amp paired with T1s but maybe there are people that don't think like you or haven't the same sound taste.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #169 of 214
  i would want say something without the animosity, you should describe the characteristic of sound, cuz the audio isn't like computer or sports car that can measure the performance, in some way yes, but not totallity. I didn't listen the Feliks-Audio Elise, but there are people that don't like colored sound and viceversa, i mean you can say they are extremely good Elise amp paired with T1s but maybe there are people that don't think like you or haven't the same sound taste.

Hi atistatic...no offence taken.

I deliberately did NOT post a comprehensive description of sound signature/performance/strengths/synergy etc. because in the past certain member(s) have criticised (and reported) my postings of similar material in more than one thread - so-called "multi-posting" -  and have been admonished by the moderator...and so as I have no desire whatsoever to be humiliated (unjustifiably as far as I'm concerned!) in this way again, this is why I supplied the link to the appropriate thread and post which contain in-depth impressions and assessments with the T1s in place....

Hopefully this explains the situation 
redface.gif

Now any specific questions that are not answered by the thread I am sure would not get me into hot water, lol! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #171 of 214
  Hi,

the unavailability here in Germany is the main reason for not trying it. If a reseller would offer it here, I would try it within the 14 days and return it, if it doesn't satisfy me. If I would need to return it to the US, it would also take longer to get the money back and try another device. Same goes for repairs.

Since I am looking for a combined device, there are not much choices left than the ASUS Essence One or Oppo HA-1 in that price range (~ 500 - 1600 EUR). I tried the Cambride DacMagic Plus, however the sound didn't convince me. Maybe a Violectric V281 would be another option.

If you're in the homeland, you're right next door to one of the best amps for the T1 on the planet - the Meier Corda Classic. Dr Meier is a madman who relies strictly on word of mouth in order to keep costs as low as possible for us, the consumer. I swear by his stuff, and his gear is perfect for the T1. I've been using this pairing for over two and a half years. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #172 of 214

If you're in the homeland, you're right next door to one of the best amps for the T1 on the planet - the Meier Corda Classic. Dr Meier is a madman who relies strictly on word of mouth in order to keep costs as low as possible for us, the consumer. I swear by his stuff, and his gear is perfect for the T1. I've been using this pairing for over two and a half years. 

I know one Meier Corda Classic owner that listed their amp after listening to a hot rodded Bottlehead Crack after I sold it to him! 
A Bottlehead Sex replaced it for me and it made quiet a noticeable improvement with my T1's, resolution, sound staging, separation, tone and timbre are all much more refined and taken to a noticeably higher level.

The Crack was pretty awesome with the T1's and a amazing amp for the money but the Sex amp really is in a different league altogether.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #173 of 214
Hi,

I've been owning  the Icon audio HP8 MkII for few days and I must say it's a fabulous pairing with the T1 !

It provides impressive power to drive the Beyer super easily, fantastic transparency & clarity, superb bass & trebles and wonderful midrange.
It's really a big step up in comparison with my ss amps Teac HA-501 and Schiit Asgard.

Before I got the Icon, my favourite combination was Teac HA-501 + fidelio X2, now it's clearly Icon + T1, even if the Icon is extremely good with the X2 and my closed AKG K550, since it is equiped with a 3 positions impedance selector.

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues and classical music, and the Icon + T1 does perfectly for both styles.
The sound of the guitars is super razor & crunchy, the bass is strong providing body and weight to the sound, the music is simply full with great depth and wide soundstage.
As an example, even the very average sound of the last deep purple In rock remasters becomes great.
With classical music, it's perfectly clear and transparent, very delicate when needed and powerful for orchestral explosions !

Till now I was a bit disappointed by the T1 performance, I was completely wrong.

Hope it'll help

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #174 of 214

I know one Meier Corda Classic owner that listed their amp after listening to a hot rodded Bottlehead Crack after I sold it to him! 
A Bottlehead Sex replaced it for me and it made quiet a noticeable improvement with my T1's, resolution, sound staging, separation, tone and timbre are all much more refined and taken to a noticeably higher level.

The Crack was pretty awesome with the T1's and a amazing amp for the money but the Sex amp really is in a different league altogether.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I now ordered a Bottlehead Crack, since I bought a Weller soldering station, which became obsolete after Beyer offered me to mount the Neutrik XLR connector while keeping the full warranty. So it serves at least some purpose in short term :) Next to the fun building something myself, I also have a good alternative then to the Oppo HA-1. Seems that a lot of people think the Crack is a good combination with the linear T1, I am eager to find out myself. It will just take a few weeks till it arrives here in DE I guess.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #175 of 214

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I now ordered a Bottlehead Crack, since I bought a Weller soldering station, which became obsolete after Beyer offered me to mount the Neutrik XLR connector while keeping the full warranty. So it serves at least some purpose in short term :) Next to the fun building something myself, I also have a good alternative then to the Oppo HA-1. Seems that a lot of people think the Crack is a good combination with the linear T1, I am eager to find out myself. It will just take a few weeks till it arrives here in DE I guess.

Congratulations and welcome to the Bottlehead community the Crack is a blast and has good synergy with the T1's its also capable of scaling well with a few simple mods that can help your T1's really shine.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #176 of 214
Hi folks,

I am new to head-fi and not entirely sure if l am posting this in the correct location but I was wondering if you experienced Head-Fiers could possibly pass on some advice?

I recently bought a Yulong DA8 to pair with my Beyer T1 and Denon D7100 and was wondering, am l getting the most out of the T1 and for that matter the DA8 by using the built in headphone jack? Should l be looking to invest in a dedicated headphone amp?

If it would be beneficial, what might be considered the most versatile and reasonably affordable solid state amp to invest in that has XLR as well as RCA inputs? By versatile l mean an amp that will play well with high impedance T1, low impedance D7100 or anything in between, has the juice to drive power hungry orthodynamic headphones and sounds great doing any of the above (not had the pleasure of hearing an ortho yet but you never know
tongue_smile.gif
).

Perhaps my lack of knowledge in this area has made me delusional
eek.gif
, but if at all possible, l would rather buy one great sounding, reasonably affordable, versatile headphone amp, and then use the rest of my hard earned saved up cash to purchase and experience more headphones
happy_face1.gif

l think the following may fit the bill but l have no idea what they sound like, whether they will pair nicely with the Yulong DA8, or if they are at all capable of what l mentioned above. 

Lake People G109p £330
SPL Phonitor Mini £430
Violectric HPA-V200 £580 (V220 & V281 form factor is to tall and deep) 
Auralic Taurus MKII £1600 (Taurus would absolutely smash my current budget and probably end up with me getting served divorce papers or waking up to find my matrimonial peacemaker peaking at me from atop the pillow)

Your thoughts, opinions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated and well received (apologies if l should have posted this elsewhere).

Kind regards,

BangforBuck.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #178 of 214
Thanks for the reccomendations JamieMcC.

I have just taken a look at both the Marrantz HD-DAC1 & Oppo HA-1, both very attractive units in their own right. The DAC1 being quite retro while the HA-1 taking the sleek modern approach. They both appear to have headphone outputs that out perform the Yulong DA8 and certainly tick the adaptability box due to their variable gain.

Unfortunately the DAC1 lacks XLR output and l wouldn't know myself but would the DAC stage of the DAC1 actually improve on that of the DA8? Although the DAC1 has the variable Headphone adjustment it doesn't tick all the boxes and l think pairing my DA8 with a suitable dedicated SS Head Amp would serve me better in the long run.

The Oppo HA-1 on the other hand looks like an entirely different animal. With it's plethora of inputs and outputs all of my needs are covered and then some. Again the variable headphone gain is present and its high / low adjustment would allow for a certain amount of headphone adaption. Yeah!! This is an eye opener and may merit a change in DAC/Amp rather than an SS Head Amp addition. Have you any idea how the HA-1 sounds and performs when compared to the DA8? In particular would the HA-1 sound as good or be as versatile as a DA8 set to DAC only with any one of the SS Head Amps mentioned above at the end of the chain? 

You have certainly given me food for thought. Thanks again for your recommendations, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

BangforBuck.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #179 of 214
Sorry no idea what either of them sound like, I am firmly in the tube amp camp for giving the best bang for the buck with the T1's
atsmile.gif

If you are UK based another possibility might be the NJC Monitor 2  which comes with a 3 year warranty!

http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/headphone_amplifier.html 

These are hand built to order and use quality components so there might be the option to include the XLR connections.  Nick is great to deal with, shoot him a email and enquire.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #180 of 214
  Hi folks,

I am new to head-fi and not entirely sure if l am posting this in the correct location but I was wondering if you experienced Head-Fiers could possibly pass on some advice?

I recently bought a Yulong DA8 to pair with my Beyer T1 and Denon D7100 and was wondering, am l getting the most out of the T1 and for that matter the DA8 by using the built in headphone jack? Should l be looking to invest in a dedicated headphone amp?

If it would be beneficial, what might be considered the most versatile and reasonably affordable solid state amp to invest in that has XLR as well as RCA inputs? By versatile l mean an amp that will play well with high impedance T1, low impedance D7100 or anything in between, has the juice to drive power hungry orthodynamic headphones and sounds great doing any of the above (not had the pleasure of hearing an ortho yet but you never know
tongue_smile.gif
).

Perhaps my lack of knowledge in this area has made me delusional
eek.gif
, but if at all possible, l would rather buy one great sounding, reasonably affordable, versatile headphone amp, and then use the rest of my hard earned saved up cash to purchase and experience more headphones
happy_face1.gif

l think the following may fit the bill but l have no idea what they sound like, whether they will pair nicely with the Yulong DA8, or if they are at all capable of what l mentioned above. 

Lake People G109p £330
SPL Phonitor Mini £430
Violectric HPA-V200 £580 (V220 & V281 form factor is to tall and deep) 
Auralic Taurus MKII £1600 (Taurus would absolutely smash my current budget and probably end up with me getting served divorce papers or waking up to find my matrimonial peacemaker peaking at me from atop the pillow)

Your thoughts, opinions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated and well received (apologies if l should have posted this elsewhere).

Kind regards,

BangforBuck.

Of your listed choices the Taurus is certainly the best. I own one and have used it with various headphones including my T1. It is in my opinion an end game amp which bests most solid state and tube amps. It is worth the price and then some. You won't feel that you have compromised anything it you get the Taurus. In the budget category the Gustard H10 is a remarkable budget amp that I would suggest. It has balanced input but only single end output. Still at it's bargain price it is very hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back