Bellari HA540 ?
Oct 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

USAudio

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard the Bellari HA540 tube headphone amp?  http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=HA540

It's an affordable tube amp and is made in USA but I haven't heard much about it.  Stereophile has raved about their phono amp.
I did however find a YouTube review here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78DIpVArBYQ&feature=youtube_gdata

It has a ton of power, but how does it sound?

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 32
Maybe no one has tried the HA540 yet as it's still too new, not sure when it first became available?

According to the website it has 35db of available gain! 
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 32
I have the Bellari HA540. I really like how it sounds. The stock tube (Ruby) is not very good IMO. I put in a re-issued Mullard 12AX7 and it made a world of difference. The sound is fast and smooth. It is well worth the $219 investment. Got on eBay, new.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
I have the Bellari HA540. I really like how it sounds. The stock tube (Ruby) is not very good IMO. I put in a re-issued Mullard 12AX7 and it made a world of difference. The sound is fast and smooth. It is well worth the $219 investment. Got on eBay, new.

Thanks DjAmTraX.
How's the background noise in comparison with other tube amps?  Any experience?
Also, Bellari touts the power, have you found it indeed does have plenty of useful/clean output?

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 32
For what it's worth, I recently purchased the Bellari and am very pleased with it.  The background noise is very low and it has plenty of power.  I ordered a couple of other tubes from Tube Depot which should be here tomorrow (the tracking said it is actually at the local FedEx warehouse but they are holding it because it isn't scheduled for delivery yet - what a lame policy), including the reissued Mullard so I am curious to hear how the sound is affected.  But even with the stock tube this is a very nice unit.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 32
The stock tube is no comparison to the Mullard I put in. The Mullard sounds open and dynamic with a bit of sweetness. Not soft like the stock tube. I also tried factory McIntosh tube and JJ Telsa Gold Pin. Both sounds a lot better than stock. The amp is so good, you can hear the difference in each tube.

Noise level is very very low through my Denon AH-D7000. I'm pretty happy with it's performance for the price.

I paid $219 shipped, new.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:
The stock tube is no comparison to the Mullard I put in. The Mullard sounds open and dynamic with a bit of sweetness. Not soft like the stock tube. I also tried factory McIntosh tube and JJ Telsa Gold Pin. Both sounds a lot better than stock. The amp is so good, you can hear the difference in each tube.

Noise level is very very low through my Denon AH-D7000. I'm pretty happy with it's performance for the price.

I paid $219 shipped, new.

Wow, $219 is almost as much as a new Bellari HA540 costs.  But it sounds like it's well worth it.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Wow, $219 is almost as much as a new Bellari HA540 costs.  But it sounds like it's well worth it.

It's what I paid for a new unit from Rolls. I think it retails for $299. IMO, it is a fantastic amp. The fact that I have a box of different 12ax7 tubes in the garage is a plus.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
It's what I paid for a new unit from Rolls. I think it retails for $299. IMO, it is a fantastic amp. The fact that I have a box of different 12ax7 tubes in the garage is a plus.

Ah, I'm with you now.  That is a great price, I'll have to keep my eyes open but even at $299 it sounds like a decent deal for this little amp.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 32
You know it's a good amp when you can clearly hear the difference in different branded tubes.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 32
Here are some info on it.

http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back