Beginning of some DIY speakers ***DONE!***
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #46 of 112
I imagine your speakers are lacking a bit in Bass at the moment because they arent in an enclosure so nothing for the air to bounce off of
tongue.gif
, I am really loving your day by day updates, if i consider building i might have to consult you about crossovers.

Very nice so far.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can feel and see the bass moving the woofer, except I ain't hearing it...that's crucial! LAWL...hopefully I can knock out a finished enclosure soon...

That's typical when you don't have anything backing the speakers up. I did the same with my setup to hear how it sounded; putting the speaker in a cardboard box with an opening that's about the size of the flange will help some, but really you won't know until your enclosure is finished
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #49 of 112
That amp is really sweet looking. Were did it come from?

(note- I would not let my player get close to the speaker magnets, even if they are shielded. Could be risky.)

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #50 of 112
Hehe, works fine still, so I guess I got lucky. As for the amp, I found it in my basement, no joke. Pretty decent and compact.

Another update! (God, don't you just love them?)
April 11, 2008
-One enclosure done, and mocked-up with baffle & Xover as reference; the other one will be completed on Tuesday, as I don't have class until then. Oh, and a small change in plans...originally I was aiming for varnish, but after trying it out on a scrap piece, I can safely say that it looks like crap. So, no varnish, but staining is the next option. Going to pick up some of this Golden Oak stuff next time I go to Home Depot, as well as my carpet padding.

262741front50020ce02gs7.jpg

dsc00216jy7.jpg

dsc00037aq7.jpg

dsc00214wd3.jpg

dsc00215cn5.jpg

dsc00038pa9.jpg

I'd say it turned out pretty nice (for a 16 year old), all the mitres came out perfectly, everything is square...all that's left is to route the roundover/chamfers and drill out the holes.

Brendan

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #51 of 112
Wow, nice joints! Very tight. Are you going to allow the laminations to show on the corners? (I think that would look great!)

(found the amp in your basement?? how mysterious!)

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #53 of 112
Well, regarding the DAP near the magnet - remember that the drive heads are only a couple micrometers away from the spinning disk. I have heard that for a bit to be flipped, the applied field strength must be quite high - in the several gauss range, and it's only the close range of the head that makes it possible. Anecdotal, but I've never had any problems with hard drives used near magnets. Obviously it's still smart to keep them apart, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Beautiful looking speakers. I'm impressed, and they're really making me want to build some of my own with virtually nothing but hand tools.

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #56 of 112
woo... someone living close to where I do.
amazing built, cant wait to see the final final product!

I live in Scarborough, used to go to ACCI... we have like 2-3 CNC machines.
Maybe when you have time, u can build me a pair!!! =D=D=D

how much is the total right now for you? without the wood price

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

about 130ish...costed me more than 200 due to the ffing shipping costs...

damn, i would wanna check them out!
maybe when we have like a toronto headfi meet, u can bring them in =D

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #60 of 112
Quote:

Sure, definitely...but be aware, I'm probably the youngest guy there...(only 16...)

There is no age discrimination in appreciation for music =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back