Beginning of some DIY speakers ***DONE!***
Apr 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #31 of 112
That sawstop tech is really cool. I wish my wood shop had that for that extra piece of mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #32 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh yes I see, now I am a bit less scared :p , but then again I am used to school table saws where if you touch the blade it will stop only giving your finger a little nick and a few stiches, and we had a huge guard on top too :p.

MASantos I dont think there is an "April Fools" he is only stating that there was a large update on April Fools, that way people can keep track of previous updates and if it is worth looking at.

Sorry if I missed it on your first page but what are you planning on finishing them with, I was half thinking of building some speakers and putting some burl veneer on them if i can find it cheap.

Interesting you guys dont wear goggles either? , I guess it may be because I live in america where you need the best protection against suing :p we cut mdf a few times in our class for our cabinet, we used it as the base for our cabinet and used some particle board in the drawer and back, then again we have a ventilation system on every tool in our woodshop to pull the dust into a huge collector.

I meant the ones like the chemistry goggles where your eyes are totally sealed from outside elements. We have safety glasses regularly.
tongue.gif
. Regarding the MDF, it really isn't my decision, as I can't convince the school board otherwise. A workaround would be to cut everything afterchool, but I don't really like to stay afterschool. BTW, I'll be using many many coats of clear varathane/polyurethane/varnish to finish it. Didn't feel like using veneer, as I'm liking the birch grain more and more.

Oh, and since you guys love my pics...here's a couple more for a semi-update:

I finish cutting all the cabinet pieces today, all that's left to do is to mitre them and give them a roundover. Also in the process of redoing my Xover layout. Chance are I'll finish mid to late April (hopefully).

dsc00178rx2.jpg

Brendan

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #33 of 112
Ahh, we only ever wore standard safety glasses not goggles. However we had the huge dustcollecter as I mentioned earlier so we didnt have to worry about dust.

I may have to talk to my woodshop teacher when i go to pick up my cabinet after spring break about using the tools for another thing, if they have woodworking club or something.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Markham District HS.

Cool, what grade? Ive been there on a few ocasions but ive never been in the shop. Its very nice of your tech teacher or whoever that allows you to use the equipment.

BTW, i just graduated from markville last year

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #38 of 112
11, and my wood shop teacher rocks. I am doing quite well that course, so he basically lets me do anything I want. I hear that some schools have CNC machines. Is Markville one of them?

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #39 of 112
Sorry for the crap pictures...every single on of them were taken by my cell phone. Soldered maybe half of the Xover together...will get some Masonite to mount the components to tomorrow.

dsc00198wa5.jpg

Brendan

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #40 of 112
Very nice work so far, every time I look here i want to build a set of speakers more and more :p

I think we have a CNC router at our school but they mostly just use it to cut handles for cabinets in advanced woodcrafting with one layout, though you probably could cut other stuff, we also have a laser engraver/cutter which i imagine could cut wood too, i think it is good for up to 3/8inch :p

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #43 of 112
No, your eyes are fine, this is a same-day update...One Xover done...several sticks of hot glue and a couple zip ties later. Will start on second one tonight.

dsc00205hz5.jpg

dsc00201no6.jpg

dsc00202pb8.jpg

dsc00204pp0.jpg

Brendan

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #44 of 112
Nice work on the crossovers, very clean looking.

You should post your build on the HTGuide Forums. Lots of awesome projects going on there designed by some very smart people.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 112
I just did, thanks Operandi

UPDATE!!!!

April 10, 2008
-Finally finished both Xovers, they are guaranteed no to fall off...REMINDER TO PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BUILD XOVERS, DO NOT DO WHAT I DID AND ROUTE THE WIRES ABOVE EVERYTHING...IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SOLDER AND GLUE TOGETHER. MOUNTING IT USING THE TYPICAL PCB MOUNTING METHOD (IE. DRILLING HOLES LIKE A PERFBOARD) IS MUCH, MUCH EASIER. Some pics, along with my naked speakers & tweeters.

dsc00210ff4.jpg

dsc00211fa7.jpg

dsc00212bq7.jpg

dsc00213hp4.jpg

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back