Because of mp3 you have purchased ______ cds since
Feb 8, 2003 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
IMO, I have purchased a lot more music cds because of mp3. I simply don't like & wouldn't buy cds I have never heard of before. But because of the internet, I can download the whole album to sample it before I go and buy it. What about you?

Feb 8, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 34
Oh yeah this is a multiple choice question. Feel free to select more than on answer if you must.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 34
It really didn't turn me into an addict (I already was), but I buy 2-3 times more than I used to (partly from finding new artists through mp3s and the security of knowing the album you're getting is one you'll like).

Feb 9, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 34
I buy a heckuva lot more cds because of mp3s.

Feb 9, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 34
Hmmmmm......this is a common rationalization for illegal copying of music, "I do end up buying some Cds because I can hear the whole CD".

If that were true there is no need to burn the album for repeated playing on CD is there? After all you just want to know what it sounds like to decide if you want to buy it.

I don't think anyone should illegally copy a CD for any reason. If the artist provides MP3 on thier site for copy that is different, otherwise just use short legal samples available from many places that sell the CD.

Feb 9, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 34
I didn't start buying CD's until I started downloading mp3's. Heck, I didn't even own a CD player until high school. They also allow me to hear music from different genres that I wouldn't have heard before and exposes me to a lot more bands than listening to the radio. But being serious about hifi, I do all my serious music listening with CD's. It's my guess that I'd be a hell of a lot wealthier if mp3's did not exist.

Feb 9, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Hmmmmm......this is a common rationalization for illegal copying of music, "I do end up buying some Cds because I can hear the whole CD".

If that were true there is no need to burn the album for repeated playing on CD is there? After all you just want to know what it sounds like to decide if you want to buy it.

I agree somewhat, people who actually do use MP3s as a way to preview method (or listen to them until they can get their hands on the CD) don't need burn the MP3s to disc that they obtained illegally. But if they own the CDs, I see no reason why a person shouldn't be able to burn mix CDs of tracks. Also, I really don't think anyone is willing to give up burner technology because of the many legal reason you use it for. Unfortunately, this technology allows people to illegally obtain music then use it as they would a legal copy..... negating their will to buy the music and show a lack of respect for the artist.

Quote:

I don't think anyone should illegally copy a CD for any reason. If the artist provides MP3 on thier site for copy that is different, otherwise just use short legal samples available from many places that sell the CD.

Thos short samples are woefully inadaquate I think. I personally like the idea of streaming half an album for preview (which you can't copy or manipulate). I think that is something artists should consider.

Feb 9, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 34
All the music I've ever bought was because of MP3s. I really doubt I'd know much any of the artists that I love to listen to if not for electronic music. It's the best way to explore new music and test out music that I've found. Basically, it's allowed my music tastes to develop, and now that I know what I like, I do purchase CDs.

Streaming samples suck. It's like letting you preview a movie, but you can only watch it from 20 feet away underwater for 5 minutes. It's really hard to judge listening to those things.

I still go through phases of using MP3s to find new music, and then buying CDs based on that and listening to them, and repeating. I've said it more than once, that I don't think I'd be on this board right now if I never downloaded MP3s and developed an interest in music to begin with.

Feb 9, 2003 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 34
I once or twice tried out Napster when it was around. It was a major pain in the butt. Back then all I had was 56k modem, and I would wait and wait and then about three forths of the way through I would lose the connection. I finally gave up.
I was on a private ftp program with a handful of other folks. I still had the 56k then. So I did get a few songs from the server I had access to. But with the slow speed of my connection I didn't get many. That server was destroyed in the great California power disaster. I will say that I would see a song that would remind of how much I liked a particular band. Then I would go buy the cd.

I once tried out E Music. They offered the 50 free downloads. I found they were all 128 bit rate so I elected not to subscribe.

Now the only time I get mp3s from the web is from a cd retailer site or artists sites. In this context I would say I buy more cds since I can preview them with the mp3. I am tight with my money and I don't like to take chances on wasting it on music I may not like.

Feb 9, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 34
I buy a lot less cds since MP3s. I used to buy CDs based on what I hear on the radio...... yet the radio plays one song off a CD.... the most popular song. Most of the CDs i've bought, i've regretted because I am never able to hear the whole album and often the whole album sucks outside of the one or two exceptions.

Since the dawn of MP3s, I've been able to hear all the unknown songs on an album and figure out whether or not the album is worth my money. It has given me much more freedom as a consumer and has definitely helped me.

Feb 9, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 34
I can think of several cd's that I actually went out and bought because of MP3's that I'd downloaded. The one that sticks out the most was Courtney Love's Hole...I would have NEVER considered buying anything from this band if not for having downloaded an MP3 one day.

I do have to question the premise of this thread, however. The implication is that, before MP3's, there was no "theft" of copyrighted works. Speaking as someone who is old enough to have owned an 8-track tape RECORDER ( EEK!!
eek.gif
), I can assure you that it has been going on for a LOOOOONNG time.

Feb 9, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 34
I buy way more cds because of mp3s. And I can honestly say I've never burned a copy of a cd I downloaded off the net (in fact, I don't think I've ever downloaded a complete album, or even most of an album). If I like it, I buy it. Just in the past 2 weeks I've purchased 10 new cds, 5 of which were based on mp3s or audio clips off the net.

Unfortunately I know I'm in the minority. I was just talking about this with some guys at work yesterday, and pretty much all of them buy less cds now that they've got a cd burner.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
I was just talking about this with some guys at work yesterday, and pretty much all of them buy less cds now that they've got a cd burner.
rolleyes.gif

You're talking about two different things here - burning CD's from CD's vs burning CD's from MP3's. To my way of thinking, the drop in quality burning a CD from MP3's make it much less desirable. Burning CD's from a the real deal...that's a different story.

Feb 9, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
You're talking about two different things here - burning CD's from CD's vs burning CD's from MP3's. To my way of thinking, the drop in quality burning a CD from MP3's make it much less desirable. Burning CD's from a the real deal...that's a different story.

indeed, but the point is that a lot of people who are usually just "casual listeners", who buy only a handfull of CDs a year and don't listen all that much, nor care too much (and even less about soundquality), but like to talk about it with friends/colleagues, tend to download or copy from friends more nowadays. and copy-ing is not new, but it is easier, quicker, even cheaper, and undeniably bigger than it used to be.

but lets not go there.

for me, it two-fold. a couple years ago I downloaded a lot, cause I was just getting into some new music, totally different from what friends of mine were listening too, and MP3s allowed me to explore some genres and get into bands. if theres hundreds of CDs you might be interested in, but don't know who or what to look for, MP3 is so much saver..

nowadays tho, I know more bands and artist I can just follow, I got a pretty good idea of what I want from my music, and which recommendations I can follow. and I don't have broadband anymore. so I just buy, a heck uf a lot compared to my income, and listen a heck uf a lot, and download nothing at all. I would download some to explore classical or obscure bands or something, if I had speedy internet, but not to check new CDs. I like the excitement of listening to a brand-new CD for the first time. don't listen in the store either, spoils it. and I've yet to be dissapointed.

Feb 9, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 34
I don't think I've bought a singe cd due to MP3. Maybe one or two out of print lps after I heard the mp3s (and found the quality of them inadequate).

If I was the type of person who isn't paranoid about admitting to anything illegal on-line, I might say something about the ability to copy borrowed CDA>CDA as being the far greater pull towards, er, non-retail music acquistition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back