Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,936 of 5,854
I was especially talking about Hifiman... I would never say that Hifiman's products are for everyone. I wouldn't say this about Audeze either.

I agree..some prefer the sennheiser's or grado's or fostex's or beyer's. Everyone has its own preferences..BUT..imho the he500 comes close to everyones favorite..if that could exist..it maybe isnt the best phone in any area... But also doesnt have big faults also. So its safe bet with every music u throw at them..but u do need the right amp! Imho :wink:

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,937 of 5,854
Quote:
I agree..some prefer the sennheiser's or grado's or fostex's or beyer's. Everyone has its own preferences..BUT..imho the he500 comes close to everyones favorite..if that could exist..it maybe isnt the best phone in any area... But also doesnt have big faults also. So its safe bet with every music u throw at them..but u do need the right amp! Imho
wink.gif

That's the main reason why I didn't like the HE-500, and why I sold it so quickly. It's a $700 jack-of-all-trades headphone (plus amp)... "pretty good" at most things (except weird cave-like rendition of voices), but leading in none. I joined Head-Fi to explore the boundaries of what is possible in audio, not play it safe. 99% of the headphones on the consumer market can fulfill that requirement.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,940 of 5,854
Quote:

That's the main reason why I didn't like the HE-500, and why I sold it so quickly. It's a $700 jack-of-all-trades headphone (plus amp)... "pretty good" at most things (except weird cave-like rendition of voices), but leading in none. I joined Head-Fi to explore the boundaries of what is possible in audio, not play it safe. 99% of the headphones on the consumer market can fulfill that requirement.

I'd say they're a contender for the best treble on any headphone. Also the best allrounder ;D

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,941 of 5,854
Quote:

Hmmm, I guess I should give HE-500 an extensive listen... But I am a bit scared as I have a phobia of words like "sparkling", "zingier" or "shiny" in terms of treble. I guess it's just my ears.
redface.gif

If I find the treble of LCD-2 rev2 (the newest) to be ideal (definitely do not want it to be more present, a very little boost could be "alright"), should I bother with HE-500 (I do not listen to classical and this sort of)?

Maybe not.  Maybe the LCD-3 is the next step up for you.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,942 of 5,854
It's all good. The usual advice is the best... try 'em before you buy 'em.

The Head-Fi consensus is fairly supportive of the HiFiMans, so hey, perhaps me and my local headphone posse are too high on 'stat/HD800 fumes to relate. Come to think of it, I do light my bong with vacuum tube filaments... ;p

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,943 of 5,854
Quote:

Hmmm, I guess I should give HE-500 an extensive listen... But I am a bit scared as I have a phobia of words like "sparkling", "zingier" or "shiny" in terms of treble. I guess it's just my ears.
redface.gif

If I find the treble of LCD-2 rev2 (the newest) to be ideal (definitely do not want it to be more present, a very little boost could be "alright"), should I bother with HE-500 (I do not listen to classical and this sort of)?

I find the LCD2 treble to be a little harder sounding. The HE500 is indeed brighter at the top but smoother. Thats why the treble is so special IMO, its bright "zingy" but also smooth and none fatiguing.

I'd say if you already like the treble of the LCD2, I wouldn't bother with any other can!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,944 of 5,854
I'd say they're a contender for the best treble on any headphone. Also the best allrounder ;D

+1 i agree totally! And they are lots of others who agree with us :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,945 of 5,854
Quote:

If you're talking about cans under $1,000, I'd definitely call it one of the front-runners for best overall.  If any price range is included, then I personally prefer HE-6, SR-009, HD800, and the LCD-3 (not the 2).  I also personally prefer the treble on all of these.  That being said, the HE-6 and HD800 are definitely more finicky with amplification, and the LCD-3 and SR-009 are pretty damn expensive.  If you add value into the mix, then it deserves it's place at the top of David's value rankings.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,946 of 5,854
I find the LCD2 treble to be a little harder sounding. The HE500 is indeed brighter at the top but smoother. Thats why the treble is so special IMO, its bright "zingy" but also smooth and none fatiguing.

I'd say if you already like the treble of the LCD2, I wouldn't bother with any other can!

Once again i agree with lugbug! Stick with it if u like it. :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,948 of 5,854
Quote:

If you're talking about cans under $1,000, I'd definitely call it one of the front-runners for best overall.  If any price range is included, then I personally prefer HE-6, SR-009, HD800, and the LCD-3 (not the 2).  I also personally prefer the treble on all of these.  That being said, the HE-6 and HD800 are definitely more finicky with amplification, and the LCD-3 and SR-009 are pretty damn expensive.  If you add value into the mix, then it deserves it's place at the top of David's value rankings.

Ah - well said there buddy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,949 of 5,854
Ah - well said there buddy.

I couldnt say it better..well said and so true also..i wish i had the money to buy me a pair of sr009 or lcd3's..but then again i needed to buy new amp also..damn..wish i had lots of money to spend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back