Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #167 of 179
I got a pair of XB800's a while back, and I posted a youtube review of them today:

To summarise / elaborate on some of the review though:

- Earpads are soft but clamping pressure is quite high. The whole thing is a little stuffy.
- Bass is quite tight on the XB800, and very powerful. Overwhelmingly so I would say. Sub-bass and mid-bass seem about equal.
- Vocals sound wooly because of the treble roll-off.
- Reducing the bass with EQ (lol) makes it an okay headphone but still too wooly compared to other headphones at their price point.
- Build quality is okay but for $149 USD not as good as say, the Audio Technica ES7 / ES700 which actually uses metal parts and is made in Japan. The XB800 is plasticky.
- The way it folds up is great

My pair will probably go up on the FS forum soon unless someone in this thread is super interested heh.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #168 of 179
These finally got in... after taking forever to clear customs and being routed to the wrong post office, etc. These are my wife's so I won't be trying them out until she's had the opportunity to enjoy them first.

Sony MDR-XB400/RED (Imported from Japan):

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #170 of 179
i have the old xb700 and the hinges on the right side of my headphone is loose so basically the adjusting band move back and forward. Any way to fix this? I can kind of make it stay still but it doesn't take much to make it loose like this.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #171 of 179
Quote:
i have the old xb700 and the hinges on the right side of my headphone is loose so basically the adjusting band move back and forward. Any way to fix this? I can kind of make it stay still but it doesn't take much to make it loose like this.

Try a cable tie wrapped around it to hold it from swiveling.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #172 of 179
w

Try a cable tie wrapped around it to hold it from swiveling.

well of course thats the obvious way to do it but is there was i can fix it without using any outside material such as tape/wire. Basically make it look its new

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #175 of 179
Quote:
Isn't the XB800 and XB900 the same headphone, different model number? The US doesn't have an XB900 and Japan doesn't have an XB800.

Some solid confirmation would be nice though.

That's what I want to find out by getting the XB900 as well.  Stay tuned.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #176 of 179
So I've been enjoying the XB900 all day today.  If they are the same as XB800 then there is something wrong with my XB800.  The XB900 sounds like the X10.  It's awesome!  I'm gonna get another pair of XB800 just to see if there is something wrong with my XB800 because the XB900 is 10x better.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #177 of 179
Quote:
I got a pair of XB800's a while back, and I posted a youtube review of them today:

To summarise / elaborate on some of the review though:

- Earpads are soft but clamping pressure is quite high. The whole thing is a little stuffy.
- Bass is quite tight on the XB800, and very powerful. Overwhelmingly so I would say. Sub-bass and mid-bass seem about equal.
- Vocals sound wooly because of the treble roll-off.
- Reducing the bass with EQ (lol) makes it an okay headphone but still too wooly compared to other headphones at their price point.
- Build quality is okay but for $149 USD not as good as say, the Audio Technica ES7 / ES700 which actually uses metal parts and is made in Japan. The XB800 is plasticky.
- The way it folds up is great

My pair will probably go up on the FS forum soon unless someone in this thread is super interested heh.

Thanks for the review.  The XB800 in your video looks like my XB900.  My XB800 has a glossy finish on the ear cups while the XB900 has a brushed look with the Sony logo raised.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #178 of 179
Quote:
So I've been enjoying the XB900 all day today.  If they are the same as XB800 then there is something wrong with my XB800.  The XB900 sounds like the X10.  It's awesome!  I'm gonna get another pair of XB800 just to see if there is something wrong with my XB800 because the XB900 is 10x better.

This is very interesting. Looking forward to your findings!

May 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #179 of 179
has anybody tried the new xb920 yet 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back