bass boost: does it hurt cans?
Feb 12, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
it probably won't hurt your cans, but it'll definately hurt your audiophile credibility.

I wasn't gonna say anything about that as I took no offense, but since everyone else has made some points, I'll say that IMO audiophiledom differs from person to person. I have reached mine.

In the end, I'll have spent less money than that guy has, while still enjoying myself.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

it probably won't hurt your cans, but it'll definately hurt your audiophile credibility.

Hahah, good stuff. Who doesn't love good humor?!

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 31
If I turn the volume on my 770s up fairly loud (but within reasonable listening levels mind you!!), and I turn up the bass on my Marantz, the bass can become overwhelming you can hear the drivers clicking as they bottom out!

Definetly if you hear distortion like that, its time to back off a bit.

The other thing however, is *properly* powering the headphones with adequate power. Less power kills phones more easily that too much (the same goes for speakers). The amp is more likely to clip, which causes a flat out DC current and voltage to spike through the voice coils, heating them up, and potentially burning them out. No doubt a PPA would exceed at this
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

You people wouldn't know a joke if it came up and kicked you in the face.

A bit harsh that.

Satire, especially self-satire, isn't all that common in daily discourse. The reference to "audiophile credibility" works because we are invited to smile at ourselves and our own pretensions. Been there, done that, and I can laugh about it.

Not everyone appreciates the ironical. Peace.

BW

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
The amp is more likely to clip, which causes a flat out DC current and voltage to spike through the voice coils, heating them up, and potentially burning them out. No doubt a PPA would exceed at this
wink.gif

A PPA excdeeds in heating up my cans and burning them out? OK, I'm just being paranoid here. I thought a PPA was plenty of juice for the DT 770.

Quote:

Originally posted by minya

- Chris

Notice my prior reply, that I didn't take offense to his comment? He was sigged because I found it quite funny.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 31
Just something I've noticed about "audiophile quality." A lot of people who have really great systems don't seem to enjoy the music much. It's almost like they're too analytical, trying to find fault in their $1K power cable or Cardas speaker wire. What's weird is, I don't think I'm the only one who sometimes has more fun cranking Led Zeplin through my stock car speakers than listening to my home rig. Sometimes, we just need a little perspective.

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by minya

- Chris

Unfortunately that wasnt a joke
smily_headphones1.gif
If you construe anything and everything moronic as a joke then you must be in a fit of laughter 24/7

Gradofan, that is so true. Ive observed before that many serious audiophiles on headFi seem to forget that it is the music component that they should be enjoying. It seems as if they derive enjoyment from analysing their new cans and coming up with faults and strengths and relegating music as a sidenote.

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #24 of 31
No.

As long as you aren't using a ridiculously high amount of bass boost and causing distortion and then cranking the phones WAY up, you'll be fine. If you can't hear someone next to you shouting to you it's way too loud.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

I probably don't have any of that already! I just want the music to sound good to ME
rs1smile.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Jodiuh
Alright all the jokers on this side and the purists over there on the small ledge of the canyon...

Mary Poppins Soundtrack Lyrics

I Love To Laugh

Uncle Albert:
I love to laugh
Loud and long and clear
I love to laugh
It's getting worse ev'ry year

The more I laugh
The more I fill with glee
And the more the glee
The more I'm a merrier me
It's embarrassing!
The more I'm a merrier me!

Mary Poppins:
Some people laugh through their noses
Sounding something like this "Mmm..."
Some people laugh through their teeth goodness sake
Hissing and fizzing like snakes

Bert:
Some laugh too fast
Some only blast - ha!
Others, they twitter like birds
Then there's the kind
What can't make up their mind

Uncle Albert:
When things strike me as funny
I can't hide it inside
And squeak - as the squeakelers do
I've got to let go with a ho-ho-ho...
And a ha-ha-ha...too!

All:
We love to laugh
Loud and long and clear
We love to laugh
So ev'rybody can hear
The more you laugh
The more you fill with glee
And the more the glee
The more we're a merrier we!

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

A PPA excdeeds in heating up my cans and burning them out? OK, I'm just being paranoid here. I thought a PPA was plenty of juice for the DT 770.

Oh shiot! Erm....

What I meant to say was that the PPA no doubt exceeds at *powering* the beyers...no clipping there.

:: cowers in the corner ::

rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Oh shiot! Erm....

What I meant to say was that the PPA no doubt exceeds at *powering* the beyers...no clipping there.

:: cowers in the corner ::

rolleyes.gif

Thanks for clearing that up. Finally, back on topic too.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Hey! Those are DT 770s in your avatar picture. But, what is all that orange crap on top of the headband? And, that looks like Mandy Moore.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back