bass boost: does it hurt cans?
Feb 12, 2004 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
I've been playing around with my sound cards bass boost on my DT 770(I'm nuts). But, now I'm afraid, could bass boost potentially blow the cans? I don't use it much...just to impress friends.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 31
If it helps, I run a DT 770 on a PPA with an Audigy 2 ZS(upgraded op-amps to AD 8620/10).

The default bass boost when you check the box for the Audigy 2 ZS in the control panel places it at 40% at 50 Hz. Sure this is fun for occasions, but I really am afraid that I may blow the drivers of my cans.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
it probably won't hurt your cans, but it'll definately hurt your audiophile credibility.

ROFL..thats the funniest statement i have read yet.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 31
I do enjoy the sound.
wink.gif

So, my cans are safe? I didn't hear distortion or anything, but I'm still a bit afraid to touch that bass boost. ...before bass boost on, I could feel the drivers moving ever so slightly, but with the bass boost on, it's really like two freaking subwoofers strapped to my head. I can feel the excursion. It's crazy!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I'm afraid to use bass boost though.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I sigged that dude.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
What good are the headphones if you cant listen to them the way you want?

Really, an important point is that when the cans are on your head there's only one person that has to be happy!

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

it probably won't hurt your cans, but it'll definately hurt your audiophile credibility.

Thats just sad. Its about ENJOYMENT. If I were to listen to headphones in a certain way just to assure of my insecurity of being an "audiophile" Id rather just burn every can under my collection. Maybe you should burn yours?

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

The only thing that could hurt someone's so-called "audiophile credibility" (head cred?) is bagging on a product that someone else really likes. The most important point is that the person is happy with the product's sound (as gpalmer said), not whether we think he/she is suddenly uncool for using it.

D.

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ls20
if you even think it might hurt your drivers, have you considered the effect this volume is having on your ears?

That's a really good point that LS20 brought up. Don't ever crank them up.... ever.

Headphones lul you into a false sense of security an can literally produce ear splitting volumes.

Take it from someon who knows...... once your ears are damaged there is no going back and there are no fixes. Tinnitus is damned miserable. So by all means enjoy your phones but for your own sake be careful with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back