Balancing Act Tube Rolling
Jan 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #212 of 471
It sounds like that this particular vt52 cant be used without modifying the BA
    I also do not think now that they are  drop in replacement and we need some modification.
    It will be more complicated as different VT 52's may have different electrical properties.
    Trying to do too much may not be a good thing as I will make an error using wrong settings for the
tubes used.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #213 of 471
I have not used these Philips but I have the equivalent 6SN7's.
They come with Blue and Green logos and are US made.

I don't expect they will be as good as the Mullard ECC35.

As for the VT-52, best stay clear of them just in case.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #214 of 471
As for the VT-52, best stay clear of them just in case.
      @Stavros : Thanks,  Yes,  I think I will wait for KingStyles or other experience on this as I may not be good
enough to do the modification , test and use this VT52 although they may be very, very  good.
      Are these Mullard ECC35 's are the one that have the best sounding : short bottle brown base.?
From the picture I am not confident whether they are short bottle or medium bottle

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #215 of 471
Here is Craig's response concerning the VT52 with the BA
The VT52 can be made to work in the BA. It is not a drop in replacement for the 300B. The heater voltage is too high and will require one, or two more turns of wire on the heater transformer, or a new amplifier that will go past 7 volts to drive the existing transformers. The other curious thing about the VT52 is the electrical parameters are different between manufactures. Western Electric has a different bias requirement than Sylvania. So one gets the amp to work with the Sylvania, and now it won’t work with the W.E.. Where does this end, most likely with the TTA

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #216 of 471
Here is Craig suggestion to incrase the output to drive the more difficult phones: AKG K1000

If you want max driving power replace the 24k plate resistors in the BA driver with 47k. By pass the cathode resistors, replace the 6SN7 with the 6C8G, and re-bias for the PX25. This configuration will drive the K1000. It will have too much gain for the more sensitive headphones, and will loose some of the magic. Everything is a trade, or compromise. Take a deep breath and consider what you really want. Then pursue that goal.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #217 of 471
Those are the tall brown base ecc35. They are also very good. They are just a little less warm than the short brown base.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #218 of 471
Those are the tall brown base ecc35. They are also very good. They are just a little less warm than the short brown base.
   Are they the same as Philips Miniwatt ECC35 because I also have those.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #221 of 471
BTW, I have asked Craig specifically that can we try the Sylvania VT52 with 5V filament voltage setting?
 One of the site of VT 52 also said that we can use the VT52 at 5V and it can also save the tube life and with some
type of transformer it may have the output at 8W

Here is his answer : thay you may try VT 52  , so if you have received the VT52, can you try and share us your experience?
You can try the VT52 at 5V. It won’t hurt the BA. No idea how they will sound

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #223 of 471
That is a short brown base. I havent tried the black base yet. They are a couple years newer than the brown base. They also come in a short black base also. Rosgr I think has tried the black base ones.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #224 of 471
I have tried all 4 types of ECC35 with different type getters so really there are more than 4 variants.
Wire getters, inverted pan getters and so on.
I like them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back