Balanced vs. ?
May 13, 2022 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

geek707

100+ Head-Fier
If there's a thread discussing this already feel free to link, or just tell me what to look for.
My question.
I'm seeing balanced (XLR) being very popular for everything from headphone to amp to interconnects. Even a CD player offering XLR connections. Is there a audible advantage to using a balanced vs traditional? (i.e. 1/4" headphone, RCA interconnects.)

May 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 49
It's technically better, it offers more less noise and more power. It is not always audibly better.

May 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 49
May 13, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 49
I'm seeing balanced (XLR) being very popular for everything from headphone to amp to interconnects. Even a CD player offering XLR connections. Is there a audible advantage to using a balanced vs traditional? (i.e. 1/4" headphone, RCA interconnects.)
All else being equal, unbalanced has the slight advantage in most consumer environments. However, it’s not an audible advantage. Most audiophiles believe balanced has an audible advantage because a balanced topology typically yields a higher signal level and they don’t compensate for that.

In pro-audio applications (recording studios for example) we almost exclusively use balanced signalling but that’s because we have to deal with signals that can differ hugely in level, typically have cable runs of many tens and sometimes even hundreds of metres and there’s usually a great deal of interference from all the equipment we use. So the noise rejection of a balanced topology outweighs the very slight disadvantage.

As far as consumers/audiophiles are concerned, balanced is mostly just snake oil, although there might be some extreme consumer scenarios where there could be some benefit.

G

May 13, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 49
All else being equal, unbalanced has the slight advantage in most consumer environments. However, it’s not an audible advantage. Most audiophiles believe balanced has an audible advantage because a balanced topology typically yields a higher signal level and they don’t compensate for that.

In pro-audio applications (recording studios for example) we almost exclusively use balanced signalling but that’s because we have to deal with signals that can differ hugely in level, typically have cable runs of many tens and sometimes even hundreds of metres and there’s usually a great deal of interference from all the equipment we use. So the noise rejection of a balanced topology outweighs the very slight disadvantage.

As far as consumers/audiophiles are concerned, balanced is mostly just snake oil, although there might be some extreme consumer scenarios where there could be some benefit.

G
Thanks. I was inclined to believe "snake oil", but felt it was worth exploring with more knowledgeable people.

May 13, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 49
Here's more applicable to balanced headphones scenario article.
Quote in reference to previous comment:

The most common use of balanced audio signal transmission has actually little to do with driving headphones in balanced mode.

In many professional audio applications, signals are routed from place to place via balanced cables in an effort to reduce common mode interference from radio frequency (RF) noise sources like fluorescent lights and motors.

. . . <read the rest>

May 13, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 49
Not “snake oil”… I have both XLR and 4.4mm balanced. I never noticed less noise, but they definitely bring more punch.

May 13, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 49
While this helps, I have another question.
In the Headphones.com article, it appears they are talking about a headphone cable where the left and right channel are separate XLR plugs. That's what the picture shows at the end of the article. My Audeze LCD is available with either 1/4 unbalanced or a single XLR. Most output devices that have XLR available for headphones also appear to have just one XLR for both channels, not a right channel XLR and a left channel XLR.
What am I missing?

May 13, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 49
In the Headphones.com article, it appears they are talking about a headphone cable where the left and right channel are separate XLR plugs. That's what the picture shows at the end of the article. My Audeze LCD is available with either 1/4 unbalanced or a single XLR. Most output devices that have XLR available for headphones also appear to have just one XLR for both channels, not a right channel XLR and a left channel XLR.
What am I missing?

You probably didn't finish FAQ section
You have 4 pin XLR which is sufficient and is more common in HP applications.

What Type of Connector is Used in Balanced Drive?

balanced-connection-standar_large.jpg

There is no official industry standard for balanced headphone connections, and a handful of balanced connector configurations exist. One method uses two (stereo) male 3-pin XLR connectors, each carrying the normal and inverted audio channels, and shielded connections to their respective earpiece. This unique connection scheme uses a "combo" jack which includes both XLR and standard 1/4" stereo headphone jacks, so one amp that can drive both balanced and standard headphones. Additionally, a single 4-pin XLR plug can also be used to deliver a fully balanced signal.

May 14, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 49
What am I missing?
Dual 3 pin was an early method , wiring is the same (ie only four wires) as 4 pin xlr , 4.4 looks to be gaining dominance in the market but I think 4 pin xlr is the better connector

May 14, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 49
I've had a lot of headphones with both types of cables and never could hear the difference. Now I have the SMSL SP20O and Topping d10b just so I'm never limited to getting balanced headphones to get the amps full power like when I had the Drop THX789.
Also if you get something like a Magni Heresy, you can use an XLR female to 6.5mm male adapter to use balanced headphones. You just can't ever do it the other way around or you will short out the amplifier.
If Reference and Chord don't make balanced products it should speak volumes as to their lack of benefit. For speakers, sure...but not headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back