Balanced Source, Single Ended Amp
Nov 3, 2009 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I read a lot of the balanced threads but this question didn't come up that I could find. I have a DAC with balanced outputs. Is there any benefit to using the balanced outputs to the RCA inputs of my amp?

My eventual upgrade path will probably include going to a balanced amp and headphones but that is a while away.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Higher voltage output signal. I have some inexpensive Hosa XLR->RCA adapters that you can try. If you can wait 'til the meet, I'll bring 'em.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Higher voltage output signal. I have some inexpensive Hosa XLR->RCA adapters that you can try. If you can wait 'til the meet, I'll bring 'em.

Yes, that would be great. No rush, I'm just curious.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Higher voltage output signal.

Since going from XLR to RCA only uses the output from pin 2 (i.e. just half of the balanced output), you wouldn't get any higher voltage output than you'd get from the unbalanced output.

se

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Nope. Some designers may tweak the outputs however so they sound different. In any other cases there should be no difference in sound.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Make sure your source will be okay with the XLR to RCA conversion mechanism you use. No load on the cold pin but load on the hot may be undesirable. Shorting cold to ground may be undesirable. Best to ask the manufacturer what will work okay.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 7
I've checked with the manufacturer and there should be no problem running the xlr output to the rca input of the amp. As to any sonic benefits this may provide, that is another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back