Backup Programs?
Mar 21, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I backup my music collection from my internal drive to an external drive via a program called "SyncToy," and it works great to automatically detect new changes and copy files over... it creates new files, moves files accordingly, etc. However, it doesn't delete the empty folders that are left behind!

eg. If I rename an album and transfer the files over to the new folder, the old folder is now EMPTY, but the program doesn't delete it! And with ~250gb of music, it's hard to keep track of this stuff...

So, do you guys have any wisdom to bestow me in my time of need?
biggrin.gif
I don't feel like going the old fashioned way of COPY+PASTE and selecting YES TO REPLACE ALL.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 8
What about finding a separate software that scan and delete empty folder. Run it once a week or once a month or whenever, daily if your paranoid, insane and like to watch your hard drive work uselessly.
biggrin.gif

I don't know any for now but It should not be too hard to find one.

Mar 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version of SyncToy are you using?

1.4.0.0... maybe a new one will help me? i go check soon

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm also curious about this. I've been using the longer method, of copy paste, rename, manually delete.

Gets confusing when I've updated the tags on one hdd, and not the other.
Also my external seems like it might fail soon...better backup some of the music (quite alot of it is my only copy)

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.4.0.0... maybe a new one will help me? i go check soon

I thought so. Find SyncToy 2.0 Beta - it solves the problem of deleted folders (use Echo or Synchronize mode). Works wonderfully for me!

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought so. Find SyncToy 2.0 Beta - it solves the problem of deleted folders (use Echo or Synchronize mode). Works wonderfully for me!

o yay! i saw the beta but was skeptical... thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back