Available Now: The Element by JDS Labs
Jun 19, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #61 of 124
Is the price going up after the pre-order?

I've been considering buying a used Predator, but the price of the Element is around the same, and it's new.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #62 of 124
I want this. Surprised to see an analog INPUT as opposed to an output which is more common for amp/dacs. That to me is a BENEFIT, not a detriment as I feel one would have more sources to hook up to this.

While it is indeed a benefit, I would have liked an output as well, to connect active speakers and such. I wonder if you would still be able to do that via a 1/4" to dual RCA cable connected to the headphone jack.

Is the price going up after the pre-order?

It better not!
eek.gif
angry_face.gif
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #63 of 124

While it is indeed a benefit, I would have liked an output as well, to connect active speakers and such. I wonder if you would still be able to do that via a 1/4" to dual RCA cable connected to the headphone jack.

It better not!
eek.gif
angry_face.gif
frown.gif

in the other element thread jds says it can be configured as an output and the price is the same now or later.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/75#post_11691856

http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/75#post_11692045

Jun 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #64 of 124
  in the other element thread jds says it can be configured as an output and the price is the same now or later.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/75#post_11691856

http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/75#post_11692045

I'm going to quote that here to make it more visible.

The Element can be configured with DAC line output at no additional cost. We placed jumpers on the bottom of the board for this purpose. This configuration disallows analog input, and you'll need to turn the volume knob to 0 to "mute" your headphones. Simply mention your special request during checkout and we'll accommodate.

@jseaber

So with this configuration, do you mean that the analog input will be converted to an analog output in order to use it with active speakers? If not, please describe in detail how it would be different from the standard version. Also, many active speakers do not have volume knobs; you would need to control the volume with this. So I'm assuming I would just unplug the headphones, then connect the speakers and use the volume knob on The Element to control the volume of the speakers.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #66 of 124

I'm going to quote that here to make it more visible.

@jseaber

So with this configuration, do you mean that the analog input will be converted to an analog output in order to use it with active speakers? If not, please describe in detail how it would be different from the standard version. Also, many active speakers do not have volume knobs; you would need to control the volume with this. So I'm assuming I would just unplug the headphones, then connect the speakers and use the volume knob on The Element to control the volume of the speakers.

Please see here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/90#post_11698963

Converting the RCA jacks to serve as DAC line-output means you can control volume at the PC to adjust speaker level. The Element's DAC has a wide dynamic range, so impact on the noise floor will be insignificant.
32ohm : 1.1W, nice!!!!!!

Random music during pre-production "testing":

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #67 of 124
  Please see here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769643/jds-labs-element/90#post_11698963

Converting the RCA jacks to serve as DAC line-output means you can control volume at the PC to adjust speaker level. The Element's DAC has a wide dynamic range, so impact on the noise floor will be insignificant.

Here's a more straightforward question: if I get the alternate version with the outputs and connect the speakers to The Element via the outputs, will I be able to control the speakers' volume with the volume knob on The Element? Or will adjusting the PC's volume be the only option? I'm just confused why the volume knob might not be an option in this case. (This is all assuming headphones are not plugged in in the first place.)

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #68 of 124

Here's a more straightforward question: if I get the alternate version with the outputs and connect the speakers to The Element via the outputs, will I be able to control the speakers' volume with the volume knob on The Element? Or will adjusting the PC's volume be the only option? I'm just confused why the volume knob might not be an option in this case. (This is all assuming headphones are not plugged in in the first place.)

Using the amplifier's knob is only an option when using the amplifier. A DAC line-output bypasses the amp, so The Element's knob is bypassed. Yes, you must use PC volume when using a DAC line-output. This logic applies to all DACs, by the way.

Powered speakers could be connected directly to the headphone jack via 1/4" to RCA cable if you wish to use the amp's volume knob. Just be sure to operate at low gain.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #69 of 124
This part of the "science" kind of confuses me being a newbie. If I listen primarily through an iPad or iPhone they already have a built in DAC correct? So would having the JDS with it's own DAC not work? Or would it work & the DAC not be of any use or any sound difference? I presently use a FiiO Mont Blanc & looking to move up a bit in my amp. So I'm debating between the Shiit Asgard 2 or maybe something like this JDS?

Quote:

this item is a dac/amp combo unit. you will connect it via usb to your laptop/computer and use its headphone jack to connect to headphones.

A dac is a digital to analog converter. you can think of it as a "sound card" if it makes it easier to understand its function. A "sound card" has a dac in it. your computer and smartphone will already have a dac in it as well. The reason to purchase a nicer dac is primarily for sound quality benefits. the scaling up of your sound quality will depend on how nice of a dac is already in your current source device and how nice the external dac that you are adding on. relatively speaking, external components (like dac/damps) generally have a lesser impact on sound quality than headphones.

A amp provides additional power for your headphones. the majority of consumer-level headphones do not require additional power. high impedance dynamic driver headphones (250ohm+ to 600 ohms) and most planar magnetic driver headphones will always require an dedicated headphone amplifier. If your headphone's impedance is somewhere around 35ohms with a efficiency at least in the mid-90s or above, you will not need an amplifier. however, there are people who say that an amplifier also improves the sound quality of easily-powered headphones to a degree as well.

From my personal experience, YMMV and other people may disagree: for easy-to-drive headphones, I've noticed more sonic improvements with a nicer dac and not much of a difference with amps. with harder-to-drive headphones, I've notice more scaling of sound quality with a nice amplifier but the addition of the dac at the entry-level price point usually makes a bigger sonic difference for me.

Hope this information is helpful.

ps: was joking about the glowing lights affecting SQ in my previous posts for anyone new around here =P hahah

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #70 of 124
This part of the "science" kind of confuses me being a newbie. If I listen primarily through an iPad or iPhone they already have a built in DAC correct? So would having the JDS with it's own DAC not work? Or would it work & the DAC not be of any use or any sound difference? I presently use a FiiO Mont Blanc & looking to move up a bit in my amp. So I'm debating between the Shiit Asgard 2 or maybe something like this JDS?

You connect the dac/amp like so: iPhone/iPad > camera adapter kit > lightening cable > jsd element > headphones. note that there is two different camera kits (one for the old pin layout and one for the new lightening port). You will need that adapter for usage with most dacs.* When the Element (or any other external dac) is connected to your device, the external dac will be used instead of the internal dac of the iPhone/iPad.

*There are some nice dac/amps that allow you to just plug in via a lightening cable (such as the $129 cozoy astrapi and $299 oppo ha-2). both are portable devices, but can be used in desktop set-ups as well.

Whether you need an external dac is up to you. The Asgard 2 is an amplifier only. It outputs 1W RMS per channel at 32 ohms & 190mW RMS/channel at 600 ohms, so power-wise it is quite similar. JDS Element has 1.1W RMS/channel at 32 ohms and 140mW at 600 ohms. Both should provide ample power for most dynamic headphones.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #71 of 124
  Using the amplifier's knob is only an option when using the amplifier. A DAC line-output bypasses the amp, so The Element's knob is bypassed. Yes, you must use PC volume when using a DAC line-output. This logic applies to all DACs, by the way.

Powered speakers could be connected directly to the headphone jack via 1/4" to RCA cable if you wish to use the amp's volume knob. Just be sure to operate at low gain.

Ah. I guess I'll just get the normal version then. I won't have active speakers until later anyway.

Is that button on the back next to the power button a gain switch or what?

So when we talk about the product, should it always be called JDS Labs The Element, JDS Labs Element, or JDS Element? hehe

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #72 of 124

Ah. I guess I'll just get the normal version then. I won't have active speakers until later anyway.

Is that button on the back next to the power button a gain switch or what?

So when we talk about the product, should it always be called JDS Labs The Element, JDS Labs Element, or JDS Element? hehe

Yes, tactile buttons on the rear side are Power and Gain. In practice, you'll find the buttons are easy to use with the vertical knob layout. Your fingers will reach to the right spot without looking.

The official title is The Element by JDS Labs.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #73 of 124
  The official title is The Element by JDS Labs.

I was aware, but just didn't know if it was one of those things where it is shortened in places other than promo materials and the like. Products with "The" at the beginning are sometimes awkward to say in certain sentences. But I like to be proper, so I'll refer to it as JDS Labs The Element or The Element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back