Available Now: The Element by JDS Labs
Jun 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 124
Hmm I wonder how it would compares to my hp-4a especially as a dac only. Certainly it will have gobs more power.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 124
I want the fifth element made by JDS Labs. Get it? The Fifth Element? Teehee!
Anyway, one must really wonder how it compares to the O2+ODAC(RevB) combo, as it shares the ODAC(RevB) topology.
That volume knob really is cool though. Reminds me of something you'd see on desktop speakers.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 124

It.  Sounds.  Amazing.  
smile.gif

What have you heard it with so far? What sort of sound signature does the amp section seem to have?

Would like to second this.

Third here

I'm not sure which headphone it was as @namizich set-up the audition for me.  It was either an LCD-2 or LCD-3, but I'm not sure which one, nor whether it was pre or post Fazor.  That said, it was exceedingly clean with pristine macro detail, had plenty of power and headroom, and bass control was excellent as it kept the LCD's low frequency response in check nicely.  Though balanced with good extension at both ends, it was not at all dry or sterile like the O2 that I have here.  If I had to summarize it in a brief statement thus far, I would say that it is not unlike a baby Studio Six.  I was very impressed.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 124
I wonder how this would compare to my concero hp. Definitely has more power... hmmm good price to!

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 124
I'm not sure which headphone it was as @namizich
 set-up the audition for me.  It was either an LCD-2 or LCD-3, but I'm not sure which one, nor whether it was pre or post Fazor.  That said, it was exceedingly clean with pristine macro detail, had plenty of power and headroom, and bass control was excellent as it kept the LCD's low frequency response in check nicely.  Though balanced with good extension at both ends, it was not at all dry or sterile like the O2 that I have here.  If I had to summarize it in a brief statement thus far, I would say that it is not unlike a baby Studio Six.  I was very impressed.

That's a good mini review. It sure is good looking. I was never a fan of the original jds stuff, but this intrigues me. I need a small unit , and this looks perfect. Waiting for the dac reviews.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #27 of 124
Ooooo, it looks stunning. Wonder what kind of synergy it would have with the HD650 compared to other solid states like Project Polaris, which is said to be one of the few solid states that matches beautifully with it.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 124
Looks very cool, but after investing some $ in some dsd and 24/192 files, I probably wouldn't go with a usb 1 only device. Thank god. My wallet just breathed a sigh of relief.

Ignoring DSD, I find it especially odd that they ignored 192KHz. Plenty of HDTracks content is 192KHz. If you assume a $175 price point for the dac in this unit (for comparison purposes), Schiit, HifimeDIY, and the ODAC all include 192 support. I'm sure there plenty more in that price range that offer 192 as well.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #29 of 124
Ignoring DSD, I find it especially odd that they ignored 192KHz. Plenty of HDTracks content is 192KHz. If you assume a $175 price point for the dac in this unit (for comparison purposes), Schiit, HifimeDIY, and the ODAC all include 192 support. I'm sure there plenty more in that price range that offer 192 as well.

Pretty sure even ODAC rev.B doesn't support beyond 24/96, and it is $150. I'll assume the DAC inside the Element is probably very similar to the one in ODAC rev.B

No support for 192kHz is a slight bummer, but by no mean a total turn-off. I'll venture a guess that the choice (of 24/96 max, a.k.a USB Audio Class 1) is to keep it more compatible to smart devices (iOS, Android, etc).

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #30 of 124
192k and higher is not audible anyway, and no one has ever been able to prove otherwise.

Gimme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back