Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Dec 10, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #31 of 149
Hi folks, retrieved the DT700 Pro X, so now have them both at hand.

In short:

1. Comfort is fairly similar, though I prefer headband and pads on DT700 (pads especially). Clamp pressure is also similar, though again I would say Beyer is slightly lighter, though really depends on your head size.
2. Portability - no contest, HX60. I have taken the DT700 out and about, used as portable cans and putting them in the standard Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro case. It works, but it's nowhere as ideal as the HX60. On the other hand, in terms of power, I think the DT700 require less power to be driven from a portable source (although both can easily be driven from any modern DAP).
3. Sound - I'm afraid my hunch was right, the DT700 suit my kind of taste more than HX60. There's a sub-bass elevation in the DT700 that renders metal/rock more engaging. The overall profile is indeed, as @plakat says, more forward and more engaging. I would say the HX60 are probably more refined with greater fidelity to the source. You could also argue that the sub-bass and bass in general is cleaner/clearer on HX60, but less "fun" (though again neither headphone are strictly designed for this purpose). The HX60 does have a more airy slightly diffused quality, whereas the DT700 is more intimate. Technically, I don't hear any notable differences in terms of imaging, detail, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either headphone. If HX60 released a headphone with same build/design but with DT700 tuning, it would be the ultimate portable headphone. But for now, my own taste leans toward the Beyerdynamic overall (sorry to betray the locals :))

P1100218.JPG

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 149
Hi folks, retrieved the DT700 Pro X, so now have them both at hand.

In short:

1. Comfort is fairly similar, though I prefer headband and pads on DT700 (pads especially). Clamp pressure is also similar, though again I would say Beyer is slightly lighter, though really depends on your head size.
2. Portability - no contest, HX60. I have taken the DT700 out and about, used as portable cans and putting them in the standard Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro case. It works, but it's nowhere as ideal as the HX60. On the other hand, in terms of power, I think the DT700 require less power to be driven from a portable source (although both can easily be driven from any modern DAP).
3. Sound - I'm afraid my hunch was right, the DT700 suit my kind of taste more than HX60. There's a sub-bass elevation in the DT700 that renders metal/rock more engaging. The overall profile is indeed, as @plakat says, more forward and more engaging. I would say the HX60 are probably more refined with greater fidelity to the source. You could also argue that the sub-bass and bass in general is cleaner/clearer on HX60, but less "fun" (though again neither headphone are strictly designed for this purpose). The HX60 does have a more airy slightly diffused quality, whereas the DT700 is more intimate. Technically, I don't hear any notable differences in terms of imaging, detail, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong with either headphone. If HX60 released a headphone with same build/design but with DT700 tuning, it would be the ultimate portable headphone. But for now, my own taste leans toward the Beyerdynamic overall (sorry to betray the locals :))

P1100218.JPG
This reflects my impressions quite well. Actually I'm badgering Beyerdynamic for a foldable portable over-ear headphone with oval cups for several years now. Just mentioned that again in (unsolicited) feedback on the DT700. So if there's that model available some time in the future, you all know whom to thank :wink:

I listened to the X60 again today, and it definitely grows on me. It has this certain airy quality that makes music levitate around my head... yet it still offers that deep bass I don't want to be without, very nice. I also verified with Austrian Audio that replacement pad sets (includes ear pads, filters and headband) will be available, just as with their other models (Hi-X50, Hi-X55, Hi-X65).

I'll just sell my X55, so headcount doesn't increase and I can keep the X60. The DT700 was a positive surprise, and I sold my Hi-X25 for that one. Problem solved...

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #33 of 149
Coming back to Vienna I took out both the X55 and the X60, using the Hugo for a short comparison. Interestingly the X60 seems just a bit more quiet in direct comparison, which leads me to thinking that at least some of the changes are related to damping.

Bass sounds a bit more pronounced on the X55, but more even on the X60. The still a bit strange upper midrange of the X55 is gone on the X60, which, overall, sounds more refined to me.

I also noticed that the color scheme was extended to the cables: the cables that come with the X60 sport black connectors

046D1672-2230-49A2-AC00-8FFFB613584D.jpeg1D94AB8B-5086-470C-8446-436C09C0E3EA.jpegD6D630FD-3565-45B0-BE82-296D7F3A256E.jpeg9926D156-AE04-4B6A-8B68-D949B9009FD3.jpegC60578CA-C6FE-40BC-8D51-B76EE5DCBFA1.jpeg

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #34 of 149
SequencerTalk 113 - Mikrofone + Kopfhörer Austrian Audio Hi-X60 + CC8 etc.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #36 of 149
Just listening to one of my playlists collecting some titles with rather vivid (low) bass... and the X60 does very well. It may need a tad higher volume setting to come into life, but its presentation is musical, reaches deep without covering other parts of the spectrum and still makes music sound like floating around my head (while still having a very stable soundstage). Comfort is top notch.

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #38 of 149
How about the analytical power and transparency of the 60, comparable to 55 or even better?? I enjoy these 2 features of the 55 which is also v musical when played with right sound levels..
The X60 is a bit less analytic, but more musical to me. According to Austrian Audio they follow slightly different philosophies / use cases, and the X55 is not replaced by the X60: both will continue to be sold alongside each other.

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #39 of 149
@plakat
What's the difference between X60 (closed) and X65 (open)? I own X55 and X65. For home listening X65 sounds for me better. X55 is better to hear voices in TV.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #40 of 149
@plakat
What's the difference between X60 (closed) and X65 (open)? I own X55 and X65. For home listening X65 sounds for me better. X55 is better to hear voices in TV.
Hi Fritz,

unfortunately I've not yet heard the X65, so I'm unable to compare them to the X60... purely from looks (pads and lining in front of the driver) I guess they might be rather alike, more so than with the X55. I don't have time to drop by at Klangfarbe, and since I don't want an open back headphone I don't want to order the X65 purely for testing and sending them back -- that seems unfair when I already know I won't keep it.

The X55 sure has more pronounced upper mids than the X60, and I can understand why this may be of help in a studio environment or when listening to TV etc. focusing on voices.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #41 of 149
These interest me. Being an owner of the HI-X65 and what that headphone can do after a little eq. The HI-X60 has extremely peaked my interest. I'd easily take the HI-X65 over the OG Focal Clear after eq. I'm very curios to hear how the HI-X60 compares. Basically a closed back HI-X65 with some slight tuning changes. Detail retrieval and dynamics should be very impressive though.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #42 of 149
I own these headphones now since mid of December. I would like to share my impressions with you.

For now I tested using an RME ADI DAC-2 FS (main device), Scarlett 816 3rd (two headphone amps, used for direct comparisons, the line out is somewhat shrill but the headphone amp seems to be fine to check the level of detail and stereo imaging of headphones), and Apple Lightning Dongle. I burned them in for about 30 hours.

These headphones were imho made for a certain purpose: recording and monitoring. This is exactly what I bought them for: during live sessions I do need good sound isolation, a more or less flat sound signature, I need to be able to detect muddy bass and midrange humps, and I need a tool to detect whether a De-Esser is needed to deal with ugly sibilances. I do not need at all a Hi-Fi headphone that turns bad music into something beautiful.

I have a relativly large head, and I am sensitive to aggressive highs.

They feel comfortable on my head. When I start using them I always think it could be a little less clamping force, but after a while it is kind of ok. The good thing is that you can move around, and the headphones will stay whereever you placed them. I can even lay down on my couch to some extend.

I do wear glasses, and it is no problem at all for me with the headphones on. The sound also does not change with or without glasses for me.

The headband is comfortable. I do not like the headband of a Denon 9200 for example.

My left ear touches the inside of the earcups slightly. This never happened to me before.

The sound signature of the Austrian Audio completes my collection of Audio-Technica ATH-R70X (open headphones), Audeze LCD-2 Classic Closed and Apple AirPods Max. I use all of them for a reason. The Apple APMs are only acceptable to me when they are EQed with a special iOS profile.

The headphones sound neither too dark or too bright to me. Bass is rather on the neutral/dead flat side, as written above. Voices sound balanced. The heights are ok - personally I prefer neutral or dark headphones (no Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser).

Some feelings with tracks that I know pretty well:

„44/876“ (Sting/Shaggy): bass is present, the voice are clearly to be heard, heights are just a tad before getting too bright (which is perfect for me)

„El Cuarto de Tula“ (Buena Vista Social Club): stereo effect is there, it‘s not a super-comfortable leather chair that you sink into, it‘s not an analytic sound, it just sounds ok

„Comfortably Numb“ (David Gilmour, Live at Pompeji): everything is there, again it‘s just close before getting too bright, the intro voice (before David starts to sing) has some artifacts inside that I can hear clearly

„On the Road Again“ (Katie Melua): the voice is rather on the bright side (as it should be), some artifacts in the voice around 01:30 are clearly exposed as expected, the following part until 02:00 is super relaxed

There is a comparison between a Neumann U67 and a Microtech Gefell microphone on the german site Bonedo - through the Austrian Audio headphones I can hear that the Neumann fits just right to the singer‘s voice, while the Gefell has a slight mid hump.

Comparing to the LCD-2, it‘s impossible to resolve the super-subtle differences from listening to classical recordings that I know. I excluded chamber orchestra recordings or large orchestras in my comparison, and also did not dive into Jazz music. „Love Song“ from Melody Gardot was rather lifeless in direct comparison, but of course everything is there and I can check the reverbs. „Tokyo Dance“ from Tingvall Trio shows all the instruments and their perfect tonal balance, but is also lacking the „wow“-effect. Maybe I could try to EQ the bass.
Please notice that the LCD-2 resolves details in classical music in a way that I never heard before. The Austrian Audio HI-X60 is neither better or worse compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X when it comes to orchestras, and I am lacking details here.

Alternative, Rock or Metal sounds really good, as long as the recordings are good. This is superior to the LCD-2, of course.

Stereo imaging for me is on the larger side, but still natural. The LCD-2 offers a giant sound stage to me, in the Austrian Audio headphones it‘s a little more relaxed. Voices are never inside my head.

Build quality is outstanding. The black and red look is appealing, but I have to admit that the look is more like „made for the road“ (or studio) rather than „made for the high-end living room“.

The original carrying case is a little bit large. I do have a pouch case from f-stop which is a little bit smaller, and where these headphones fit in when folded with cable attached. The headband adjustment does not change when folded.

The isolation of pink noise is comparable to the Apple APMs with ANC, which is imho spectacular.

My ears get warm when wearing the headphones, of course it‘s a closed design, and probably because of the larger headband pressure to my large head. Maybe things get better here over time.

Finally I am looking forward to use these headphones during live performances. To me it‘s also a complement to my main headphones, the LCD-2 (for Hifi listening, and also checking reverb effects and transients) and the ATH-R70X (for long sessions, or stuff to be done in summer).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #43 of 149
Does anyone have any idea when these phones are likely to become available in the US? The usual American retailers all seem to list some variant of "new item - coming soon" on their websites. Also, are there any reliable frequency response charts posted anywhere yet?

Jan 25, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #44 of 149
I own these headphones now since mid of December. I would like to share my impressions with you.

For now I tested using an RME ADI DAC-2 FS (main device), Scarlett 816 3rd (two headphone amps, used for direct comparisons, the line out is somewhat shrill but the headphone amp seems to be fine to check the level of detail and stereo imaging of headphones), and Apple Lightning Dongle. I burned them in for about 30 hours.

These headphones were imho made for a certain purpose: recording and monitoring. This is exactly what I bought them for: during live sessions I do need good sound isolation, a more or less flat sound signature, I need to be able to detect muddy bass and midrange humps, and I need a tool to detect whether a De-Esser is needed to deal with ugly sibilances. I do not need at all a Hi-Fi headphone that turns bad music into something beautiful.

I have a relativly large head, and I am sensitive to aggressive highs.

They feel comfortable on my head. When I start using them I always think it could be a little less clamping force, but after a while it is kind of ok. The good thing is that you can move around, and the headphones will stay whereever you placed them. I can even lay down on my couch to some extend.

I do wear glasses, and it is no problem at all for me with the headphones on. The sound also does not change with or without glasses for me.

The headband is comfortable. I do not like the headband of a Denon 9200 for example.

My left ear touches the inside of the earcups slightly. This never happened to me before.

The sound signature of the Austrian Audio completes my collection of Audio-Technica ATH-R70X (open headphones), Audeze LCD-2 Classic Closed and Apple AirPods Max. I use all of them for a reason. The Apple APMs are only acceptable to me when they are EQed with a special iOS profile.

The headphones sound neither too dark or too bright to me. Bass is rather on the neutral/dead flat side, as written above. Voices sound balanced. The heights are ok - personally I prefer neutral or dark headphones (no Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser).

Some feelings with tracks that I know pretty well:

„44/876“ (Sting/Shaggy): bass is present, the voice are clearly to be heard, heights are just a tad before getting too bright (which is perfect for me)

„El Cuarto de Tula“ (Buena Vista Social Club): stereo effect is there, it‘s not a super-comfortable leather chair that you sink into, it‘s not an analytic sound, it just sounds ok

„Comfortably Numb“ (David Gilmour, Live at Pompeji): everything is there, again it‘s just close before getting too bright, the intro voice (before David starts to sing) has some artifacts inside that I can hear clearly

„On the Road Again“ (Katie Melua): the voice is rather on the bright side (as it should be), some artifacts in the voice around 01:30 are clearly exposed as expected, the following part until 02:00 is super relaxed

There is a comparison between a Neumann U67 and a Microtech Gefell microphone on the german site Bonedo - through the Austrian Audio headphones I can hear that the Neumann fits just right to the singer‘s voice, while the Gefell has a slight mid hump.

Comparing to the LCD-2, it‘s impossible to resolve the super-subtle differences from listening to classical recordings that I know. I excluded chamber orchestra recordings or large orchestras in my comparison, and also did not dive into Jazz music. „Love Song“ from Melody Gardot was rather lifeless in direct comparison, but of course everything is there and I can check the reverbs. „Tokyo Dance“ from Tingvall Trio shows all the instruments and their perfect tonal balance, but is also lacking the „wow“-effect. Maybe I could try to EQ the bass.
Please notice that the LCD-2 resolves details in classical music in a way that I never heard before. The Austrian Audio HI-X60 is neither better or worse compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X when it comes to orchestras, and I am lacking details here.

Alternative, Rock or Metal sounds really good, as long as the recordings are good. This is superior to the LCD-2, of course.

Stereo imaging for me is on the larger side, but still natural. The LCD-2 offers a giant sound stage to me, in the Austrian Audio headphones it‘s a little more relaxed. Voices are never inside my head.

Build quality is outstanding. The black and red look is appealing, but I have to admit that the look is more like „made for the road“ (or studio) rather than „made for the high-end living room“.

The original carrying case is a little bit large. I do have a pouch case from f-stop which is a little bit smaller, and where these headphones fit in when folded with cable attached. The headband adjustment does not change when folded.

The isolation of pink noise is comparable to the Apple APMs with ANC, which is imho spectacular.

My ears get warm when wearing the headphones, of course it‘s a closed design, and probably because of the larger headband pressure to my large head. Maybe things get better here over time.

Finally I am looking forward to use these headphones during live performances. To me it‘s also a complement to my main headphones, the LCD-2 (for Hifi listening, and also checking reverb effects and transients) and the ATH-R70X (for long sessions, or stuff to be done in summer).
Thank you very much to all of you, for your detailed reports, very useful.
My question is: I own a pair of DT770 80 ohm and I like their bass/sub bass section very much, and the overalll balanced mix of musicality/warmth + detail /spaciousness. Now, anyone have a take on the differences with the Hi-x60?
If I got it right, the HI-x60 should lack in bass when compared to the 770, but my question is how much (approximately) in terms of dB?
How much correction should I apply with the Hi-x60 to be able to retain alla the details but get a bass/sub bass performance smilar to that of the DT770?

Or... your answer might also be (TL;DR) "Keep the 770, forget about the Austrians" : )

Thank you!

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #45 of 149
Atm I cannot find any chart for the 60, but for the open 65 headphonedatabase.com states -1,5 db in bass compared to the low mids.

Guessing that the 60 is more or less comparable, and looking at this, it means…

https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones?ids=148

10 db :wink:

Well, Beyer is V-shaped, if you prefer the sound, fine. Not my taste, sorry…

Maybe somebody else could jump in who knows the details in the 770 zoo…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back