Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Dec 4, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 149
Look what arrived today :wink:
Really like what I hear, there's deep reaching bass with very good structure (could be a few dB more for my personal taste, but objectively its very well balanced with the rest of the spectrum), nice and detailed mids that don't have that slight shoutiness of the Hi-X55, and sparkling treble without sharpness. Had just a few songs played from my iPad through a 1. gen Hugo and the Apple USB-C to 3,5mm adapter, sounds good even on the latter with lots of dynamic reserve. Comfort is top notch, just as with the X55.

Passive isolation is again very good, and it still has that spacious sound like the X55 but sounds more even overall.

I noticed the pads now have holes... this might provide the damping of the upper mids, which were a bit too present on the X55 -- I always wanted to ad some felt inside its cups, but never came around to try that out.

Packaging is as with all past Austrian Audio headphones, i.e. a cardboard box with Velcro -- I still like it. The darker gray looks good with the red accents, and I like the fact that now both the 3m and the 1,2m cables are included -- I ordered the shorter one extra for my X55.

D058ED7D-0BA7-4820-AF2E-1DCC33A1D806.jpeg1D775BD4-1FB5-4DA8-8FAB-387718DD418E.jpegF4466827-60CF-46EE-9376-74DCFC72CE33.jpeg3B770E25-A8AE-4E33-9258-764E46FDDD99.jpegC19A6991-2D43-4A8D-A3AF-D5375A5024F1.jpeg
Super, thanks for this. Sounds promising. Can I ask you how they compare with the DT700 Pro X in the following respects:

1. Comfort, isolation, and leakage?
2. Technical performance - especially imaging and detail retrival?
3. Any other impressions on how they compare in terms of timbre would be welcome.

Clearly the X60 are far better suited for portable use. The design generally looks outstanding.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 149
Super, thanks for this. Sounds promising. Can I ask you how they compare with the DT700 Pro X in the following respects:

1. Comfort, isolation, and leakage?
2. Technical performance - especially imaging and detail retrival?
3. Any other impressions on how they compare in terms of timbre would be welcome.

Clearly the X60 are far better suited for portable use. The design generally looks outstanding.

Thanks!

I'll have a bit more time tomorrow (though then I'll get out my D9200 from its months long rest...), but as a short comparison I'd add the following points:
* Both are very comfortable, with the X60 having more spacious pads (just like the X55) but the ear pillows of the DT700 are just so comfortable... yet they offer less space (not a problem with my ears). The X60 has an indentation at the mid of the headband, which makes this a bit more comfortable than the straight headband of the DT700. It also spreads out more with two stripes.
* Isolation seems on a comparable level for both, although I only checked with my son as an external noise source.
* Leakage is low according to my wife sitting 2m away.
* The DT700 sounds more direct, with much less distance between driver and ear. It also has more sculpted sound, with stronger bass and a bit emphasized mids. It puts musical engagement first I'd say.
* The X60 seems more even, a bit more distanced and more committed to transporting the music as is than trying to actively engage.
* The X60 sounds more spacious, the greater distance between drivers and ears makes itself heard.
* Both have stable imaging, with the X60 showing a wider stage and the DT700 sounding more intimate.
* Both offer a god level of details, with the X60 a bit ahead I'd say.
* Voices sound a bit more natural to me on the X60
* The X60 is obviously much more compact
* I prefer the mini-XLR on the DT700 over the 2,5mm jack on the X60 (although it is well protected and locks).
* Both have easily exchangeable pads and headband, for both replacements are not yet available. Complete sets of headband, 2 pads plus 2 driver covers for the X55 cost about 60€, ear pads for the DT770 cost about 25,-. Beyerdynamic normally makes all parts available for repair, including drivers... I don't know how Austrian Audio handles this, bit I guess I'll simply ask them about this topic. I consider this really important for the longevity of a product, especially for headphones targeting the professional segment.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 149
I'll have a bit more time tomorrow (though then I'll get out my D9200 from its months long rest...), but as a short comparison I'd add the following points:
* Both are very comfortable, with the X60 having more spacious pads (just like the X55) but the ear pillows of the DT700 are just so comfortable... yet they offer less space (not a problem with my ears). The X60 has an indentation at the mid of the headband, which makes this a bit more comfortable than the straight headband of the DT700. It also spreads out more with two stripes.
* Isolation seems on a comparable level for both, although I only checked with my son as an external noise source.
* Leakage is low according to my wife sitting 2m away.
* The DT700 sounds more direct, with much less distance between driver and ear. It also has more sculpted sound, with stronger bass and a bit emphasized mids. It puts musical engagement first I'd say.
* The X60 seems more even, a bit more distanced and more committed to transporting the music as is than trying to actively engage.
* The X60 sounds more spacious, the greater distance between drivers and ears makes itself heard.
* Both have stable imaging, with the X60 showing a wider stage and the DT700 sounding more intimate.
* Both offer a god level of details, with the X60 a bit ahead I'd say.
* Voices sound a bit more natural to me on the X60
* The X60 is obviously much more compact
* I prefer the mini-XLR on the DT700 over the 2,5mm jack on the X60 (although it is well protected and locks).
* Both have easily exchangeable pads and headband, for both replacements are not yet available. Complete sets of headband, 2 pads plus 2 driver covers for the X55 cost about 60€, ear pads for the DT770 cost about 25,-. Beyerdynamic normally makes all parts available for repair, including drivers... I don't know how Austrian Audio handles this, bit I guess I'll simply ask them about this topic. I consider this really important for the longevity of a product, especially for headphones targeting the professional segment.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Simply outstanding, thank you! (And may I suggest you cross post this at the closed back thread, as I'm sure many people will find ot beneficial [cc. @Malevolent]).

Will definitely be ordering a pair of the X60 to try myself next week. Based on your description, they seem like fantastic and genuinely portable pair of headphones with a very appealing tonality. Promising!

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 149
Simply outstanding, thank you! (And may I suggest you cross post this at the closed back thread, as I'm sure many people will find ot beneficial [cc. @Malevolent]).

Will definitely be ordering a pair of the X60 to try myself next week. Based on your description, they seem like fantastic and genuinely portable pair of headphones with a very appealing tonality. Promising!

I'll copy that text over to the closed back thread, that seems like a good idea and relevant.

Of course taste varies but while the X55 was a bit rough around the edges sonically, the X60 sounds much more finished to me, and I'd recommend it for evaluation without hesitating at this time. I do know about brain burn-in (but do not believe in driver changes), yet I'm quite confident that my first impressions generally hold at least for me personally. I think one can get used to almost any headphone (for me with exception to Grados I guess) by using it exclusively for longer, which makes a first impression so interesting to me. So I'm looking forward to your assessment -- Klangfarbe.at seems to still have them in stock

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 149
I'll copy that text over to the closed back thread, that seems like a good idea and relevant.

Of course taste varies but while the X55 was a bit rough around the edges sonically, the X60 sounds much more finished to me, and I'd recommend it for evaluation without hesitating at this time. I do know about brain burn-in (but do not believe in driver changes), yet I'm quite confident that my first impressions generally hold at least for me personally. I think one can get used to almost any headphone (for me with exception to Grados I guess) by using it exclusively for longer, which makes a first impression so interesting to me. So I'm looking forward to your assessment -- Klangfarbe.at seems to still have them in stock
Marvellous thanks. I just put in an order through Klangfarbe.at.

I'm very impressed with the DT700 but if the HX 60 can offer a similar presentation in a more portable package, that would be ideal.

Will let you know my impressions early next week.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 149
Have received myself. First impressions: the build is outstanding. Seriously impressive. Kudos to Austrian Audio on their engineering. Everything feels very robust while also quite nimble. They're smaller than I expected, which is a good thing. The design itself is also very appealing; very unassuming but also aesthetically spot on. Love the logo, which somehow reminds me of the Half-Life 2 logo.

I've not had a serious chance to listen yet, but my first impressions are positive. I don't have my DT700 Pro X on hand - in my office and I won't be able to collect until Thursday - but I look forward to comparing them. The X60 seems to me to have a linear profile - studio tuning, but not overly dry. I basically agree with what @plakat says here. They seem to strike a nice balance between being analytical and musical. Treble is airy but nowhere near to old-school Beyer style crispness. Mids are very well defined here, and certainly have the upper hand when compared to some aspects of Beyerdynamic tuning. Bass in interesting. It's not exactly far reaching, but it's very well controlled, tight, and quite impactful when needed. The overall tuning is absolutely to my taste. So "colour me impressed," as they say.

In terms of comfort and clamp, spot on, I'd say. Passive isolation is excellent, as is the seal. The portable factor - 100%, top marks. The folding cups works exceptionally well and generates a sense of confidence. I also love the little coiled wire that connects the cables from one cup to another. Small touch, but so, so much more preferable than Beyerdynamic style wires that can be caught on bits of furniture etc. The cable itself is also very nice - robust with no microphonic. I wouldn't see any need to upgrade or change it.

Will provide update when I've spent more time with them and also had the chance to A/B with DT 700 Pro X. Thanks for bringing these to my attention, @plakat The fact they're made in Vienna - even though I'm a Brit in Vienna (albeit here for several years now) - is a nice bonus.

P1100169.jpgP1100178.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #22 of 149
Have received myself. First impressions: the build is outstanding. Seriously impressive. Kudos to Austrian Audio on their engineering. Everything feels very robust while also quite nimble. They're smaller than I expected, which is a good thing. The design itself is also very appealing; very unassuming but also aesthetically spot on. Love the logo, which somehow reminds me of the Half-Life 2 logo.

I've not had a serious chance to listen yet, but my first impressions are positive. I don't have my DT700 Pro X on hand - in my office and I won't be able to collect until Thursday - but I look forward to comparing them. The X60 seems to me to have a linear profile - studio tuning, but not overly dry. I basically agree with what @plakat says here. They seem to strike a nice balance between being analytical and musical. Treble is airy but nowhere near to old-school Beyer style crispness. Mids are very well defined here, and certainly have the upper hand when compared to some aspects of Beyerdynamic tuning. Bass in interesting. It's not exactly far reaching, but it's very well controlled, tight, and quite impactful when needed. The overall tuning is absolutely to my taste. So "colour me impressed," as they say.

In terms of comfort and clamp, spot on, I'd say. Passive isolation is excellent, as is the seal. The portable factor - 100%, top marks. The folding cups works exceptionally well and generates a sense of confidence. I also love the little coiled wire that connects the cables from one cup to another. Small touch, but so, so much more preferable than Beyerdynamic style wires that can be caught on bits of furniture etc. The cable itself is also very nice - robust with no microphonic. I wouldn't see any need to upgrade or change it.

Will provide update when I've spent more time with them and also had the chance to A/B with DT 700 Pro X. Thanks for bringing these to my attention, @plakat The fact they're made in Vienna - even though I'm a Brit in Vienna (albeit here for several years now) - is a nice bonus.

P1100169.jpgP1100178.jpg

Glad you like them — recommending headphones is always a bit of a balancing act Especially comfort is hard to judge… but yes, I think their (Austrian Audios) design works really well, giving a good balance between robustness, compactness and portability.

I did some more listening yesterday and today. At times I was also missing a bit bass — but it’s actually there. Just coming forward only when the recording requests it… and I do think it reaches deep down, but the same applies here, it does not emphasize bass yet responds well to input.

Initial shipment seems to have been rather small… Klangfarbe already run out of stock. But I guess in their capitalistic greed they will build more soon :wink:

Looking forward to your impressions vs. DT700

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 149
Glad you like them — recommending headphones is always a bit of a balancing act Especially comfort is hard to judge… but yes, I think their (Austrian Audios) design works really well, giving a good balance between robustness, compactness and portability.

I did some more listening yesterday and today. At times I was also missing a bit bass — but it’s actually there. Just coming forward only when the recording requests it… and I do think it reaches deep down, but the same applies here, it does not emphasize bass yet responds well to input.

Initial shipment seems to have been rather small… Klangfarbe already run out of stock. But I guess in their capitalistic greed they will build more soon :wink:

Looking forward to your impressions vs. DT700
I will do more listening over the next few days (busy days here before the Christmas break), but certainly the more I listen, the more I like. I think indeed you're right about the bass - I ran a few test tracks through them, and it doesn't fall short in terms of reproducing sub-bass at an audible level. Of course, it's not exaggerated much less bloated, but it's there when needed without any bleed whatsoever into mids. I think the tuning in general is really well done. I tried another similar headphone recently - the Tago T3-01 - which I think aims for a similar presentation, but it's nowhere as engaging as the X60.

Interesting to hear Klangfarbe are already out. I only ordered yesterday, so maybe they're catch of the month.

Very curious myself to hear how they compare to DT700. Wish I hadn't left them in my office.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #24 of 149
I will do more listening over the next few days (busy days here before the Christmas break), but certainly the more I listen, the more I like. I think indeed you're right about the bass - I ran a few test tracks through them, and it doesn't fall short in terms of reproducing sub-bass at an audible level. Of course, it's not exaggerated much less bloated, but it's there when needed without any bleed whatsoever into mids. I think the tuning in general is really well done. I tried another similar headphone recently - the Tago T3-01 - which I think aims for a similar presentation, but it's nowhere as engaging as the X60.

Interesting to hear Klangfarbe are already out. I only ordered yesterday, so maybe they're catch of the month.

Very curious myself to hear how they compare to DT700. Wish I hadn't left them in my office.
Oh yes, the busy quiet time leading up to Christmas...

Listening to the X60 a bit more over the past few days I both like its comfort and its tuning. I also like the effect of the rather large distance between driver and ear, which results in a nice, airy presentation. Being able to use it with even the small Apple Lightning or USB-C dongle is nice as well. I'll be back in Vienna on Sunday, and I'll try to contrast it a bit with its predecessor X55 before selling that one. But so far I don't hear anything strange in the upper midrange, which is a good thing.

Both Klangfarbe and Thomann now seem to have stock (again). Still nice that Klangfarbe had a few units available when word got out.

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #25 of 149
Oh yes, the busy quiet time leading up to Christmas...

Listening to the X60 a bit more over the past few days I both like its comfort and its tuning. I also like the effect of the rather large distance between driver and ear, which results in a nice, airy presentation. Being able to use it with even the small Apple Lightning or USB-C dongle is nice as well. I'll be back in Vienna on Sunday, and I'll try to contrast it a bit with its predecessor X55 before selling that one. But so far I don't hear anything strange in the upper midrange, which is a good thing.

Both Klangfarbe and Thomann now seem to have stock (again). Still nice that Klangfarbe had a few units available when word got out.
I've also been listening to the X60 a lot since I got them. Sadly, still don't have my DT700 Pro X at hand. I was planning to get them today, but it's snowing hard in Vienna and as a feeble Englishman, I'm unable to face the epic trek to my office.

I continue to like the X60 a lot, too. I would say, though, that they are exceptional studio headphones and they serve this function very well. They have a very precise clarity without any exaggeration. Very natural and I can't find anything to fault in the tuning. However, in terms of actual musical enjoyment, I don't always find them as engaging as other headphones. Of course, this is a credit to their success, I think, given that monitoring is where this headphone's skills lie. In a sense, they're not here for my listening pleasure. I can enjoy them in other ways, but I need to step outside of my habitual listening practices to do so.

Curious what you think about this. I know - remember - you listen to a lot of EDM style music. My thing is either ambient/classic metal & rock [dad rock]/or classical music. Certainly for jazz/fusion/classical/ambient, they work well in terms of combing musicality with a level of analytical refinement. However, for metal/rock (circa 1981 to 1992), they have a limited appeal. Having not heard my DT700 Pro X for quite some time now, I'm very curious to revisit them to see how musical they are for these genres. From recollection, I found they worked very well with metal/rock.

Dec 9, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 149
I've also been listening to the X60 a lot since I got them. Sadly, still don't have my DT700 Pro X at hand. I was planning to get them today, but it's snowing hard in Vienna and as a feeble Englishman, I'm unable to face the epic trek to my office.

I continue to like the X60 a lot, too. I would say, though, that they are exceptional studio headphones and they serve this function very well. They have a very precise clarity without any exaggeration. Very natural and I can't find anything to fault in the tuning. However, in terms of actual musical enjoyment, I don't always find them as engaging as other headphones. Of course, this is a credit to their success, I think, given that monitoring is where this headphone's skills lie. In a sense, they're not here for my listening pleasure. I can enjoy them in other ways, but I need to step outside of my habitual listening practices to do so.

Curious what you think about this. I know - remember - you listen to a lot of EDM style music. My thing is either ambient/classic metal & rock [dad rock]/or classical music. Certainly for jazz/fusion/classical/ambient, they work well in terms of combing musicality with a level of analytical refinement. However, for metal/rock (circa 1981 to 1992), they have a limited appeal. Having not heard my DT700 Pro X for quite some time now, I'm very curious to revisit them to see how musical they are for these genres. From recollection, I found they worked very well with metal/rock.

Especially as an Englishman you should classify it simply as frozen rain, take out an umbrella and go out :wink:
But yes, snow in the city always results in major chaos, which makes any trip an expedition. And the day after its only dirt on the streets... To me its especially funny how there seems to be a separate snowplow awaiting any single snowflake in Vienna as soon as it *might* snow. They always seem to ride across the city well ahead of the actual snowfall.

Yes, the X60 does sound more distanced than e.g. the DT700, so I can imagine that 80s/90s rock might sound better (i.e. more engaging, not necessarily more correct) on the Beyer. To me that difference is less pronounced, since EDM and other electronic genres simply have different requirements.

I also think that in the 80s with digital slowly encroaching on studio work many sound engineers used to the warmer sound of vinyl were mastering CDs too cold (at that time many, including me, thought it was the medium, but nowadays CDs definitely sound just fine). These mixes that might miss just a bit in the lower mids while having a bit too much treble still sound not that good today, and the X60 might just expose that -- which is its purpose as a studio tool, of course. It's just not that welcome for private listening...

Plus I do have the feeling that the X60 likes a slightly elevated level, where it comes into life more. But of course the direct comparison always exaggerates and character differences,

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 149
Especially as an Englishman you should classify it simply as frozen rain, take out an umbrella and go out :wink:
But yes, snow in the city always results in major chaos, which makes any trip an expedition. And the day after its only dirt on the streets... To me its especially funny how there seems to be a separate snowplow awaiting any single snowflake in Vienna as soon as it *might* snow. They always seem to ride across the city well ahead of the actual snowfall.

Yes, the X60 does sound more distanced than e.g. the DT700, so I can imagine that 80s/90s rock might sound better (i.e. more engaging, not necessarily more correct) on the Beyer. To me that difference is less pronounced, since EDM and other electronic genres simply have different requirements.

I also think that in the 80s with digital slowly encroaching on studio work many sound engineers used to the warmer sound of vinyl were mastering CDs too cold (at that time many, including me, thought it was the medium, but nowadays CDs definitely sound just fine). These mixes that might miss just a bit in the lower mids while having a bit too much treble still sound not that good today, and the X60 might just expose that -- which is its purpose as a studio tool, of course. It's just not that welcome for private listening...

Plus I do have the feeling that the X60 likes a slightly elevated level, where it comes into life more. But of course the direct comparison always exaggerates and character differences,
I did try to venture out again, but having already been out on the school run, I'm afraid I revealed myself as too much of a "snowflake." But you're right - they're very cautious here about plowing the snow before it's fallen. Having said that, it looks nice. Here's a photo from this morning, passing by Sound Company, and then Lifelike Hifi, and finally Longtone - all of which I'm sure you know. I'm thankful that my son's kindergarten lies in the "audiophile quarter."

20211209_074910.jpg

I did try what little EDM I have in my local Roon library - Prodigy, Massive Attack, Orbital, Fennesz, Murcof - and indeed sounds very good on the HX60. I think that because most of the music that I listen to is lacking sub-bass (80s rock/metal), without a slight peak in the sub-bass, this kind of music does sound flat - which is no doubt true to the source. Modern metal - Gojira, for example - doesn't have this problem; the bass is already elevated, so it works well with the HX60, as opposed to say, Toto (apologies for the lack of taste).

Will give final thoughts when I retrieve Beyer's tomorrow, weather permitting.

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #28 of 149
Looking forward to that! I have decided I do not need a 2nd closed-back so your review might decide which one of the two is not the one that will be dropped of next week (again if it favours the DT 700).

Oh and if you could throw in which one has the best comfort that would be the cherry on top. I sent the DT 700 back due to comfort issues but willing to give it a 2nd shot.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #29 of 149
Looking forward to that! I have decided I do not need a 2nd closed-back so your review might decide which one of the two is not the one that will be dropped of next week (again if it favours the DT 700).

Oh and if you could throw in which one has the best comfort that would be the cherry on top. I sent the DT 700 back due to comfort issues but willing to give it a 2nd shot.
Will do happily. I'm actually very keen to compare myself. Though @plakat has them on hand also, so he's input would be worthwhile.

From recollection, though, I would actually say the HX60 has a slightly tighter clamp. The passive noise isolation feels stronger, which might contribute to this impression. Pads on Beyer are more plush, though I have no complaints at all about the pads on the HX60 - pleather (I think) but quite deep and wide. Though just to reinstate my point above, both headphones (but especially HX60, I think) are studio tools rather than home-listening units, so there's a trade off in terms of comfort for noise isolation.

I'll do full comparison tomorrow!

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 149
I did try to venture out again, but having already been out on the school run, I'm afraid I revealed myself as too much of a "snowflake." But you're right - they're very cautious here about plowing the snow before it's fallen. Having said that, it looks nice. Here's a photo from this morning, passing by Sound Company, and then Lifelike Hifi, and finally Longtone - all of which I'm sure you know. I'm thankful that my son's kindergarten lies in the "audiophile quarter."

20211209_074910.jpg

I did try what little EDM I have in my local Roon library - Prodigy, Massive Attack, Orbital, Fennesz, Murcof - and indeed sounds very good on the HX60. I think that because most of the music that I listen to is lacking sub-bass (80s rock/metal), without a slight peak in the sub-bass, this kind of music does sound flat - which is no doubt true to the source. Modern metal - Gojira, for example - doesn't have this problem; the bass is already elevated, so it works well with the HX60, as opposed to say, Toto (apologies for the lack of taste).

That sounds like a very dangerous path you take every day (dangerous for your wallet especially). I had my office around the corner of Longtone Hi-Fi for many years... though I'm quite resilient against temptation from Hi-Fi toys nowadays (this was not always the case though :wink:

Yes, the upper bass focus of older rock might quite simply be what makes that sound a bit bland on the X60.
And no need for any apologies -- I know otherwise nice people who listen to mainstream pop :wink: I think it would be the completely wrong thing to select music by how equipment renders it. At least for me this is about the music, and having fun with music. Headphones are a tool to that end.

@Nostoi has already made some important points. Yes, the X60 has more spacious pads, that seal very well. Isolation seems very high, both in and out.
The DT700 pads are the most comfortable I've ever experienced, like pillows. Seal is very good, but they are not that spacious (a bit less so than e.g. the older DT770).

There is a difference on the headband (besides the split): the X60 has a slight indentation on the pads at the top of the head, which the DT700 has not.

To me both are very comfortable... but that is a very personal aspect that's really hard to transfer to another head. Where did your problems with the DT700 lie? If the pads were too small, the X60 pads offer much more room inside. If it was pressure on top of your head, that indentation as well as the split might help. But soundwise these are quite a bit apart, so that will play into your decision as well I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back