Aussie group buy for Starving Student
Jul 2, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #46 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I assume everyone who's in will be paying rjad for the valves, sockets and power supplies, and jarpy for the components and postage. Correct?

That's the way I see it. rjad?

Big thanks to both of you for keeping this monster under control with me.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #48 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it applies here, but I reckon the difference between a (2 prong) US cable and an Australian cable is 30 seconds with a pair of pliers.

The pins are the right distance apart, they just need a bit of persuasion to take on the characteristic Aussie V-shape.

Hmmm... sounds brave, but not a challenge that I would take.

IEC power cables are freely available - go to your local computer fair and pick one up for a few bucks.

But I do agree that if the difference between local and the US import is almost nothing - go the local option.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #49 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone else besides fordgtlover interested in another group order from mouser?

I'd bet money that we'll find someone else interested the day after we order
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #52 of 130
Ok, so I ordered tubes and sockets and power supplies. This simple task did seem to get more complicated than I thought, and probably I stuffed things up somewhere for someone. I ordered 9 power supplies, 24 sockets and a massive 40 tubes. Blame rds for the panic buying of tubes (will they really blow if you leave the amp on for extended periods?--we'll see).

Now, there seems to be a discrepancy between the power supplies and the tubes; this is how I worked it out:

Power Supplies:
1 - fordgtlover
2 - gz76
1 - rjad
1 - m0b1liz3
1 - Daveze
2 - Pandaman
1 - Jingo Lingo
Total of 9 power supplies.

tube/socket sets (2 tubes + 2 tubes per set)
3 - fordgtlover
2 - m0b1liz3
2 - Pandaman
1 - Daveze
1 - rjad
2 - gz76
1 - Jingo Lingo
Total of 12 tube/socket sets. This means 24 sockets, 24 tubes.
Note that fordgtlover has asked for 3 sets of tubes/sockets but only one power supply, and m0b1liz3 asked for two sets but only one power supply.

Many of us opted to get extra tubes. As far as I could work out, this is the extra tubes we selected:

2 - fordgtlover
2 - m0b1liz3
2 - Pandaman
4 - Daveze
2 - rjad
2 - gz76
2 - Jingo Lingo
Total of 16 extra tubes. I had to guess a couple of these, due to my confusing terminology probably. So, Jingo Lingo asked for "2 sets of tubes and 2 sockets" don't know exactly what he wanted but I guessed 4 tubes, 2 sockets. m0b1liz3 asked for "hmm perhaps I should go for 2 as well..." I'm hoping he was asking for 2 extra tubes.

Total cost for tubes and sockets was $US112.80. I don't know what the tube postage costs yet, need to hear from Radio Daze for that.

If I ordered too many tubes, we can spread them around, but in the end I will take them if nobody wants them--just pay for what you think you asked for. I'm less keen to do that for the power supplies but probably we under ordered power supplies anyway.

The power supply postage cost $8.50, so a total of $AU188.50.

All this stuff will be sent to Jarpy, who will repackage and send out to us all. Big thanks to Jarpy for this chore.

I'll organise payment and delivery addresses when the parts start arriving.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #55 of 130
Hi All,

I've been suddenly called away to work in Brisbane next week, so I won't be at home to recieve/pack/mail our stuff until next weekend (12-13 July).

I think it's unlikely that the valves will arrive by surface mail before then, but now you know. FedEx informs me that the solid-state parts are waiting for me at the office, so we're getting there.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #58 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll drop you a line ford Sunday arvo mate with a few bits and bobs i wouldnt mind ordering up if that's ok.

No Probs

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #60 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ford. I'll be down for the original BOM in the first group buy if that's cool.

No Problems. I'll do up the order shortly and post it for review.

Personally I'm just buying the following. The other parts can be found at either DSE or Jaycar.

Nichicon UPW 470uf 63v
IRF510
Heatsinks
1455N1201BK Hammond Case
Mallory 150 Capacitors
715P & 716P Orange Drop Capacitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back