Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,817 of 3,454
Man Dale needs to spend more time in the midwest so i can go meet him in person too... Seems like hes always in asia these days

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,820 of 3,454
Guess I'll never have the time for full review, I'd like to try bit-by-bit.. First of all, as a usual review, built quality.. Aurisonics Rockets has a very unique form, as you can see in pictures in this forums or the official site. Quite intriguing, eh? The cable from pictures is looked matte-white & smooth, while in reality it has glossy layer & a bit rough due to the spiraled kevlar? Dale Lott had demonstrated it very durable. The cable is kevlar-reinforced & quite reassuring when he pull-stretched w/ his big-arm power. He also said that the joint from the cable to the driver was done by knitting the 4-strand kevlar to a metal piece & fortified by glue before connect to the driver. "It could break but u need a very strong power, & it will be ridiculous to try that," he said. The driver housing is looked sturdy b'coz d'titanium (you may try to step on it to test it robustness). The jack housing is contrary. It made of plastic, maybe to accomodate flexibilty. It is quite bulk and angled, but no problem to connect through otterbox defenfer of my ipod touch. The Y-split & the slider is made of plastic also. The downside of the built is its overall finishing. I found glue residue at the cable near the driver, the plastic parts have protruding cut-leftovers (the antiloop incl.), & the buds are not equally round. The cable has quite annoying mechanical noise, although you can minimize it by wearing behind ears & tighten w/ the slider. Next will be about the comfort.. Stay tuned

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,824 of 3,454
Hi all,

So Idsynchrono_24 generously offered me to be a participant in a touring Rockets unit. After giving them a listen in the 10 days I had them, I'd say they're one of the better-sounding in-ear earphones that I've tried!

I made a video with my impressions on my YouTube channel:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyappliVag[/video]

Some quick notes that I took while listening to the Rockets:
Aesthetics:
+ Red/blue cable for right/left sides respectively are nice to have
+ Snug, comfortable fit in my ear without leaving my ears itchy or moist
+ Adjustable wings for different ear sizes/insertion depth
+ Great noise isolation for a single-flange, non-foam tip
+ Lightweight
- No tactile right/left indicators, so putting them in your ears in low-light can be difficult
- No cable strain relief at the earpieces themselves
- Rubber cable coating is extremely prone to microphonic/cable noise
- Eartips feel almost sticky and can pick up dust easily
- "Sticky" eartips sometimes get stuck in ear canal
- Large 45 degree plug won't fit in some phone cases

Sound:
+ Good timbre overall
+ Non-fatiguing treble that's fairly smooth
+ Soundstage seems larger than average for an in-ear earphone from my experience, and has a greateer sense of depth (it still sounds very much in-your-head though)
+ Instrument separation and imaging are pretty good from my experience for an in-ear earphone
+ Good detail retrieval
+ Nice punchy mid-bass
- ~6 kHz peak makes it sound bright
- Sub-bass roll-off
- Some graininess in the treble
- Needs a higher volume from the amplifier compared to most other in-ear earphones due to a lower sensitivity

Overall I was pretty impressed with them. At $250, the price is a bit too steep for me in my current financial situation, but I'd definitely consider getting a pair for portable and casual listening. My only major gripes with them were the cable noise and the ~6 kHz peak.

A big thank you needs to be given to Idsynchrono_24 for letting me have the opportunity to try them!

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,825 of 3,454
Hi all,

So Idsynchrono_24 generously offered me to be a participant in a touring Rockets unit. After giving them a listen in the 10 days I had them, I'd say they're one of the better-sounding in-ear earphones that I've tried!

Aesthetics:
+ Lightweight
- No tactile right/left indicators, so putting them in your ears in low-light can be difficult

Sound:
+ Good timbre overall
+ Soundstage seems larger than average for an in-ear earphone from my experience, and has a greateer sense of depth (it still sounds very much in-your-head though)
+ Instrument separation and imaging are pretty good from my experience for an in-ear earphone
+ Good detail retrieval
+ Nice punchy mid-bass
- Sub-bass roll-off
- Needs a higher volume from the amplifier compared to most other in-ear earphones due to a lower sensitivity

Overall I was pretty impressed with them. At $250, the price is a bit too steep for me in my current financial situation, but I'd definitely consider getting a pair for portable and casual listening. My only major gripes with them were the cable noise and the ~6 kHz peak.

A big thank you needs to be given to Idsynchrono_24 for letting me have the opportunity to try them!

AHA!

I hate this in-ear. I totally expected a negative review! /s

Shame about the in-your-head experience. At least the imagery will make up for it. The aesthetics are awesome, I would totally hope that aurisonics provides a tactile feeling to the L/R cabling. Though at its current stage, I would rather have this in-ear now. 6khz peak no problem. Sub-bass roll off, no problem. Graininess can be solved through tips, right..?

Anywho, I'm getting an amplifier so I am happy that this in-ear will benefit greatly from it. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Thank you for your impressions miceblue. You are great so far, please enjoy them some more.

Would you also post a "IN YOUR FACE NONBACKERS!" video in order to depress us about our terrible decision in ignoring this rocket development? 
tongue.gif
 Of course you were aided by a nice birdy named Idsynchrono, but disregarding that, the message would probably get more people to purchase it. Just a thought. 
ph34r.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,826 of 3,454
Shame about the in-your-head experience. At least the imagery will make up for it. The aesthetics are awesome, I would totally hope that aurisonics provides a tactile feeling to the L/R cabling. Though at its current stage, I would rather have this in-ear now. 6khz peak no problem. Sub-bass roll off, no problem. Graininess can be solved through tips, right..?

Would you also post a "IN YOUR FACE NONBACKERS!" video in order to depress us about our terrible decision in ignoring this rocket development? :p  Of course you were aided by a nice birdy named Idsynchrono, but disregarding that, the message would probably get more people to purchase it. Just a thought. :ph34r:  

I'm used to listening to full-sized headphones, so maybe I'm a bit biased for the soundstage being "in your head," hahaha. Binaural recordings didn't sound as spacious to me with the Rockets compared to such headphones, but where the imaging was still great.

Something like these are nice quick tests for soundstage:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdIidUIbAs[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpyu2Iqy2FI[/video]

I dunno if the treble grain can be altered with different tips. I didn't really experiment with tips to say how they affected the sound since I figured the stock tips were custom-made or something. I haven't seen tips like those before, but I liked them!

I'll opt out of the promotional video; it's not really my kind of thing to do. XD

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,827 of 3,454
Hi all,

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyappliVag[/video]

Aesthetics:
+ Lightweight

Sound:
+ Good timbre overall
+ Good detail retrieval
+ Nice punchy mid-bass
- Sub-bass roll-off

Great impressions. Seems at least a few here get a 6k peak as well. A shallow fit with biflanges mitigates this issue for me, moving the peak much further up the FR to around 9k. Could just be my particular resonance frequency.

The antiloops definitely help with an over-ear fit, which eliminates most cable noise.

Which full size phones are you currently using? Just curious as to what your base line is.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #1,828 of 3,454
I'm used to listening to full-sized headphones, so maybe I'm a bit biased for the soundstage being "in your head," hahaha. Binaural recordings didn't sound as spacious to me with the Rockets compared to such headphones, but where the imaging was still great.

Something like these are nice quick tests for soundstage:

I dunno if the treble grain can be altered with different tips. I didn't really experiment with tips to say how they affected the sound since I figured the stock tips were custom-made or something. I haven't seen tips like those before, but I liked them!

I'll opt out of the promotional video; it's not really my kind of thing to do. XD

Teach me senpai, this first video of the matchbox has been something incredible.

I had been searching through many videos only to be disappointed in finding terrible 3d staging. Damn, this video will be implemented in my rocket impressions in the future. Thank you.

Anywho, I agree with gnarlgasan, which headphone pleases you the most? Please do not provide seducing images of that headphone, I will grow jelly. :)

I hope when you ever own this in-ear that you will be able to enjoy it without the graininess. I'm sure you have a lot more tips than me, lol. Tips look marvelous, I just feel like it might not work for some people, but it works for you, right?

Ok, totally fine with that. Well, no one suffers though, so that's the only qualm I have. 
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #1,829 of 3,454
Great impressions. Seems at least a few here get a 6k peak as well. A shallow fit with biflanges mitigates this issue for me, moving the peak much further up the FR to around 9k. Could just be my particular resonance frequency.

The antiloops definitely help with an over-ear fit, which eliminates most cable noise.

Which full size phones are you currently using? Just curious as to what your base line is.

Ah, interesting. I do have some bi-flange tips in my collection, but I don't find them very comfortable to use.

I saw the anti-loops accessory on the Kickstarter page and that looks like it could work. I'd be a bit cautious about bending the cable near the metal pieces, but that might just be me.

I had been searching through many videos only to be disappointed in finding terrible 3d staging. Damn, this video will be implemented in my rocket impressions in the future. Thank you.

Anywho, I agree with gnarlgasan, which headphone pleases you the most? Please do not provide seducing images of that headphone, I will grow jelly. :)

I hope when you ever own this in-ear that you will be able to enjoy it without the graininess. I'm sure you have a lot more tips than me, lol. Tips look marvelous, I just feel like it might not work for some people, but it works for you, right?

Yeah a good 3D effect is hard to come by. Ottmar Lieber's Up Close album is my favourite binaural album but he also did a very nice binaural version of his Snakecharmer song on camera. It's nice because you can actually see how large the room is and exactly where the instruments are being played in relation to the dummy head. I still really enjoy that video even if it's only a 480p YouTube video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOrBqQAuXg[/video]

Yeah I suppose the tips won't be for everyone. I thought the stock tips were awesome, so I enjoyed them for the time I had. Now I'm back to using stock silicone tips that make my ears itchy. XD

As for the headphones I primarily listen to, they're the STAX SR-207, but I pick up the AKG K 701 from time to time when I need a quick fix for audio stuff and I'm too lazy to set up the STAX system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back