Aurisonics Impressions and Reviews
Apr 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,251 of 2,761
Oh yeah, I remember that we were talking about games awhile ago. I agree these are amazing with games, the one I like the most (besides Battlefield 3) would be Tribes Ascend. Really nice for the effects and knowing when I'm being chased during a cap or getting shot at.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=445741&utm_campaign=email

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,252 of 2,761
Shouty, as defined in the Tips thread (I forgot the guys username, on mobile, so I can't look it up; it was Monkey- Something) is the overemphasis of the 1.2k region (my definition states vocal region rather than just the 1.2k region) which causes a lack of decay in vocals (specifically powerful female vocals) that can become annoying. There can also be a shoutyness in some midrange instrumentals as well (I hear it with Mayday Parade a bit).
It is not to be confused with an overemphasis of the entire midrange (which the ASG doesn't do).

It even relatively underempesizes the lower midrange.

I like my definition better :D lol. It takes more variables into account =p

ASG-1 Owners:
How would you rate the dynamics on the ASG-1?

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,253 of 2,761

Quote:
It even relatively underempesizes the lower midrange.
I like my definition better
biggrin.gif
lol. It takes more variables into account =p
ASG-1 Owners:
How would you rate the dynamics on the ASG-1?

It does nderemphasize the lower-mids, I'll agree with that.  LOL, what was your definition?

I actually would rate these dynamics pretty highly, they aren't the absolute best (need more treble response), but all the way up to the midrange, they are beautifully crafted.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,254 of 2,761

Quote:

I actually would rate these dynamics pretty highly, they aren't the absolute best (need more treble response), but all the way up to the midrange, they are beautifully crafted.

x2

Even with EQ something feels missing with the treble.

BTW anyone else notice the fingerprint like texture on the ASG-1 or is it just me?

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,255 of 2,761

Quote:

A after market cable will bring the highs in, the silver dragon works magic with these phones, sparkling treble, even more bass, the mids still have a forward presentation. The overall sound is also a lot louder than with the stock cable.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,256 of 2,761

Quote:

x2

BTW anyone else notice the fingerprint like texture on the ASG-1 or is it just me?

You're not alone with the texture on the ASG-1.  You got a long way to go before the ASG-1 shows you its treble, it's not overly astounding, but definitely a plus.  You'd have to EQ the treble up a bit to get anything out of it where you are.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,257 of 2,761
Eureka!

I'm listening now, and the conclusion I've come to is that the issue/disagreement we're all having about the mids isn't so much about the shoutiness, but about the decay time that leads to a sort of echo that further emphasizes the mids. Listen again and tell me if you agree or not.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,258 of 2,761

Quote:
Eureka!

I'm listening now, and the conclusion I've come to is that the issue/disagreement we're all having about the mids isn't so much about the shoutiness, but about the decay time that leads to a sort of echo that further emphasizes the mids. Listen again and tell me if you agree or not.

You're right on key, that is the "shoutyness" everyone is speaking of.  As I stated, Munkyballz stated it the best 2 weeks ago, so I went with his formal definition: http://www.head-fi.org/t/597225/aurisonics-asg-1-which-tips-are-the-best-with-reviews-to-come/105#post_8235049

Quote:
I think most people aren't use to the shoutiness because the ASG-1's to my ears, don't roll off the mid frequencies.  It puts the mids very in your fast and lets them extend, sustain, and carry the note out.  Kind of like mini-crescendos off every emphasized notes in the mid frequencies, which makes sense for a stage or even recording monitor, but it's not what many users are accustomed to, so they may roll it off into "shoutiness", which may or may not match your definition.

Kind of like people usually say to-"may"-toe rolling the may down through the to, but these ASG's are tuned and pronounce it with a heavy accented/raised to-"mah"-toh, emphasizing the mah letting it extend through and over the toh, so it can sound a bit "piercing" or too bright to some, especially when combined with the fact that these are very mid-focused/emphasized as is.

This is the definition I go by, and it is specifically a decay thing.  Any of us who came off of an Etymotic won't find these the least bit piercing since Etymotic already incorporates this "shoutyness" (I call it energy) into their midrange to really make vocals pop.  It's the same effect here.  The ASGs overdue it at first, but it goes down with time to get to the HF2 level (and below as well).  Essentially, this "shoutyness" is part of the fingerprint of the Etymotic sound signature.  I hope it stays with Aurisonics as well.  It's something that made me fall in love with Etymotic, it did the same to Aurisonics.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,259 of 2,761

Quote:

It's not you, this is the trademark of items made by "rapid prototyping".
What you see are layer traces showing how the IEM casings were built vertically layer by layer by a 3D-printer.
If you wanted to, they could have polished the casings to make them transparent and erase these lines, but these give a nice effect.

From the look of it, I would bet stereolithography with a mat clear resin.
It's the best manufacturing technique to create custom IEMs, and Aurisonics applied it to their semi-universals as well.
I just wish they would start using an Objet 3D-printer, their 3D-technology is more precise and wouldn't leave these ugly white strands on the inside of the shells, due to the use of a support resin that you remove with water after building the item.

A Wiki link for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,260 of 2,761

Quote:
A after market cable will bring the highs in, the silver dragon works magic with these phones, sparkling treble, even more bass, the mids still have a forward presentation. The overall sound is also a lot louder than with the stock cable.

I've posted this earlier on but here's something that should be taken note of [size=11.0pt]"The only exception is the cable which can be changed  by the user. Some who have taken them out however I'm sure found they are a bear to get out. This is so they don't come unplugged while on stage moving around. The type of connectors used are also not made for extreme repeated plug/unplugging of cables as this will wear the connectors. Also, the red dot on the male pinned cables should always go towards the top of the IEM as well as the blue. Red dot is right and blue is left."[/size]

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,261 of 2,761

Quote:
It's not you, this is the trademark of items made by "rapid prototyping".
What you see are layer traces showing how the IEM casings were built vertically layer by layer by a 3D-printer.

From the look of it, I would bet stereolithography with a mat clear resin.
It's the best manufacturing technique to create custom IEMs, and Aurisonics applied it to their semi-universal as well.
I just wish they would start using an Objet 3D-printer, their 3D-technology is more precise and wouldn't leave these ugly white strands on the inside of the shells, due to the use of a support resin that you remove with water after building the item.

A Wiki link for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

Huh I thought that was the case though I always thought that this technique was only for prototypes

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2,262 of 2,761

Quote:
Huh I thought that was the case though I always thought that this technique was only for prototypes

Machine price has come down a bit, and for small series of customized items, it's viable price-wise.

To have a small and precise industrial mold made for injection-molding of large series easily costs over 200 k$.
Not viable when your main business is custom IEMs.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,263 of 2,761

Quote:
Machine price has come down a bit, and for small series of customized items, it's viable price-wise.

To have a small and precise industrial mold made for injection-molding of large series easily costs over 200 k$.
Not viable when your main business is custom IEMs.
wink.gif

Thx for the info

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,264 of 2,761
How does the ASG-1 do Rock music, compared to something like the TF10, or Grados?
And how do they compare overall to the IE 80?

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2,265 of 2,761

Quote:
How does the ASG-1 do Rock music, compared to something like the TF10, or Grados?
And how do they compare overall to the IE 80?

EQ'd or not EQ'd? Generally I'd avoid it if not EQ'd, it killed my mainstream rock library with the exception of a few albums (Luckily Queen still sounds as good as ever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back