Auralic Taurus or Bryston BHA-1
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 55
Not sure if anyone here has the Auralic. Looks interesting though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 55
New review of the BHA-1 recently:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bryston-bha-1-fully-balanced-headphone-amplifier

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 55
From what I heard the Taurus is warm and dry and the Bryston is very analytical and detailed, read somewhere someone called it bright. So a matter of taste what sound signature you like. The Taurus gives you 4,5 W and Bryston only 2 W, so Taurus will drive HE-6 better but with your LCD-2 power is not a problem. There is a long review on the Taurus at 6moons from last year I think. I will maybe get the chance to hear the Auralic Taurus in the next months, so will post an impression. Both amps are delicious.     

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 55
My friend had a Taurus for LCD2 and we both thought it was a little dry and boring, while the Bryston was like a advanced Taurus, more powerful, smooth and analytical. When my friend compared two amps, he found the Bryston brighter and more musical. But I thought the two are both rigid, not joyful as Woo Audio.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 55
My friend had a Taurus for LCD2 and we both thought it was a little dry and boring, while the Bryston was like a advanced Taurus, more powerful, smooth and analytical. When my friend compared two amps, he found the Bryston brighter and more musical. But I thought the two are both rigid, not joyful as Woo Audio.

If I understand correctly Woo primarily makes tube amps and that they have a completely different signature sound than the two SS amps mentioned here?
Have you compared them to any other SS amps?

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 55
I've been listening to and having fun with LCD-3 and AURALiC TAURUS fully balanced using the DAC in Grace Design m903 all night, and I do not understand why people are calling it dry and boring. I find Taurus to be fun, detailed, fast, warm and extremely controlled. It really pulls out the midrange in LCD-3, something Grace Design m903 is not able to do properly. However, it is not as smooth and bold as Woo Audio WA6-SE, but that's a tube amp and to my knowledge one of the characteristics of tube amps.

Here's a quick shot of the two together. It was just set up so I could listen to it through the night. Like interior designers would say; something old something new. They both look amazing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 55
I've been listening to and having fun with LCD-3 and AURALiC TAURUS fully balanced using the DAC in Grace Design m903 all night, and I do not understand why people are calling it dry and boring. I find Taurus to be fun, detailed, fast, warm and extremely controlled. It really pulls out the midrange in LCD-3, something Grace Design m903 is not able to do properly. However, it is not as smooth and bold as Woo Audio WA6-SE, but that's a tube amp and to my knowledge one of the characteristics of tube amps.

Here's a quick shot of the two together. It was just set up so I could listen to it through the night. Like interior designers would say; something old something new. They both look amazing.

Nice :)

Did you have a chance to listen to the BHA-1 as well?
I think perhaps Lyric might have one, but I'm not sure.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:
Nice :)

Did you have a chance to listen to the BHA-1 as well?
I think perhaps Lyric might have one, but I'm not sure.

Absolutely. Contemplating getting their DAC too, the ARK MX+, such a nice rack, ehrm, I mean stack. :)

Unfortunately, no. Not been to Lyric so I couldn't tell, but I think the Norwegian member ardilla said something about wanting to go there to demo it, so you might be right.

I might write a more in depth review of Taurus or Taurus & ARK MX+ if I decide to get it. Right now I'm listening to Sennheiser HD 650 and the lows are really controlled, not the blurry texture or lack there of that we're used to.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 55
Absolutely. Contemplating getting their DAC too, the ARK MX+, such a nice rack, ehrm, I mean stack. :)

Unfortunately, no. Not been to Lyric so I couldn't tell, but I think the Norwegian member ardilla said something about wanting to go there to demo it, so you might be right.

I might write a more in depth review of Taurus or Taurus & ARK MX+ if I decide to get it. Right now I'm listening to Sennheiser HD 650 and the lows are really controlled, not the blurry texture or lack there of that we're used to.

Aye, I actually tried the ARK MX+ at audionorge as a source for Schiit Mjolnir and the Taurus, with LCD2/LCD3/HE-6/HD800.
There were some technical problems with it tho, they were not sure what caused it, powergrid or the MX+, but something was very much off, so it interrupted the session...
The MX+ sounded very nice while it worked tho, and was pretty high on my list of DAC candidates :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 55
Loving my BHA, have tried LCD 2 and 3, ps1000, he500's, and HD800's. lets me hear all the music has to give.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 55
It has very little output, pretty much useless. Never even bothered with it, most of the phones I have tried have been balanced anyways, even my HD800's. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:
Aye, I actually tried the ARK MX+ at audionorge as a source for Schiit Mjolnir and the Taurus, with LCD2/LCD3/HE-6/HD800.
There were some technical problems with it tho, they were not sure what caused it, powergrid or the MX+, but something was very much off, so it interrupted the session...
The MX+ sounded very nice while it worked tho, and was pretty high on my list of DAC candidates :)

That's a shame. Was that what put you off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back