Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,551 of 8,309
What do you guys this is the best all around tube for this bad boy? The one that it came with sounds pretty good but was wondering what the next step up would be?

Go to the thread starter, this includes Salvatore's links to a huge amount of information about tubes. The 9622 eh which came with my T1 is a good starter tube. My favorite is the Amperex 7308 but a lot depends on your phones and the music you like.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #2,555 of 8,309
Driver grade for this application.
You're not actually powering the audio with it so matched sections and all that means less.

Agreed. I got the driver grade. It works fine and was a good deal cheaper. To my knowledge, Upscale audio is the only seller that uses this categorization.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,556 of 8,309
Quote:
Go to the thread starter, this includes Salvatore's links to a huge amount of information about tubes. The 9622 eh which came with my T1 is a good starter tube. My favorite is the Amperex 7308 but a lot depends on your phones and the music you like.

The starter thread doesn't really compare any of those tubes with the stock tube. I currently have the Audio-Technica WS99 and listen to a variety of EDM music. I was just wondering what a good all-around upgrade would be from the stock tube.

I heard good things about that Russian Rocket tube but that's nearly impossible to find these days so just trying to see what else there is.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,557 of 8,309
Quote:
heck, it's only just dawned on me that the tube protector had a plastic travel coating on it. Take that muck off and the plastic is crystal clear. Looks good, and would be pretty in the evening.

yes, lol at first i thought them having everything packed neat and tidy except the inclusion these "dirty" protectors were very out of place. then i found out about the peel off plastic coating.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,558 of 8,309
Quote:
The starter thread doesn't really compare any of those tubes with the stock tube. I currently have the Audio-Technica WS99 and listen to a variety of EDM music. I was just wondering what a good all-around upgrade would be from the stock tube.

I heard good things about that Russian Rocket tube but that's nearly impossible to find these days so just trying to see what else there is.

I admit that I already had some NOS tubes in hand when I first got my T1. I listened to the stock tube briefly then listened to the NOS Russian tubes, and I haven't gone back (although my favorite is now the Genalex Gold Lion). I actually lost the stock tube...not sure where it went off to. Anyway, I think the most reliably praised replacement tube is the Amperex 7308.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,559 of 8,309
Quote:
I admit that I already had some NOS tubes in hand when I first got my T1. I listened to the stock tube briefly then listened to the NOS Russian tubes, and I haven't gone back (although my favorite is now the Genalex Gold Lion). I actually lost the stock tube...not sure where it went off to. Anyway, I think the most reliably praised replacement tube is the Amperex 7308.

Thanks! Would you mind briefly comparing the Amperex and Gold Lion tubes?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,560 of 8,309
Quote:

Get cheap NOS Tungsram PCC88 from eBay. Like I`ve said it many times it has tighter and punchier bass & kick and has great large soundstage that is great for EDM imo. Mids are also littlebit better than 6922EH. Great tube for all kind of electronic music, especially for the price. Here`s one I found fast from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-TUNGSRAM-TESTED-SINGLE-TUBE-NOS-PERFECT-SHAPE-MADE-IN-HUNGARY-/221264236750?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33846050ce

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,561 of 8,309
Quote:
Thanks! Would you mind briefly comparing the Amperex and Gold Lion tubes?

These two tubes are both excellent but very, very different. The Amperex is a smooth, detailed, holographic sounding tube. The Amperex makes you feel surrounded and immersed in the sound and it is well balanced. It is ultimately a more laid-back sound that I think appeals to many. The Genalex is also very detailed and the sound stage is wide and natural sounding but it is not quite as "holographic" as the Amperex. This idea is hard to explain unless you hear it. The Genalex has nice punchy bass and is a generally intimate, forward sound. Think of it this way: The Genalex is like standing dead center front row of a concert with all of the beautiful details smashing into you while the Amperex is like sitting a few rows back and having an orchestra of sounds surrounding you. I'm not sure exactly which tube is specifically best for electronic and trance music. I can say that I definitely enjoy how Purity Ring sounds on the Genalex and that I haven't owned the Amperex in a while so I can't compare it directly.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,562 of 8,309
Woot Purity Ring!

There are a number of tube comparison posts which should be linked in the first post of this thread. Additionally there are a few pages scattered around the web which describe differences in the 6DJ8 family of tubes.
Overall though, you have to experiment.
Some people prefer the sound of tubes "lower" on the scale of quality or find the expense of the higher priced tubes to be unjustified.
There are general "house sounds" which differentiate tube makers.
Also, your specific combination of source material and physical equipment is going to be different than anyone else's.
The reason you roll tubes is to find the best synergy between all of your equipment and your own ears.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,564 of 8,309
You guys are right, I guess this is something I have to hear for myself. Regardless, it's always nice to get an opinion in order to point me (and my wallet) in the right direction.

I went ahead and grabbed the NOS Tungsram PCC88 on eBay for $20 shipped and also grabbed the Genalex Gold Lion as well. Either way, what I don't like I can always sell for some loss.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #2,565 of 8,309
Cool. Don`t forget to give your opinions about 6922EH vs. Tungsram PCC88 vs. Genalex gold lion since our gears & ears are different.
Although first two are different sounding than genalex as I read joeq70 impressions. If I take his opinion, then it should be more or less like the difference between 6922EH & Tungsram PCC88 vs. 6N23P reflector (I own all these). First two are with huge soundstage which is great for electronic music imho and 6N23P is like in front of and middle of stage with intimate warm sound (genalex should be much better (clearer) than 6n23p which is for me like "through the blanket" sounding).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back