Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #7,321 of 8,309
  Going to double check, but i think the 6EA8 might work as well.  Believe it just uses more amps.  

Is there a way to test the tubes without a tube tester?  Just don't want to have any shorts and fry my AUNE.   

A tube tester is about the only way to reliably test them.

If you have a multimeter, you could try ohming out the heater, but it will only give you the cold resistance reading... depending on where you live, you may find a classified ad where someone is selling vacuum tubes and you could ask them if they have a tester. (I've done this myself for some of the tubes I bought from eBay).

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #7,322 of 8,309
So the 6DJ8 draws 365mA That is verified to work with the Aune  
http://www.audiomatica.com/tubes/6dj8.htm

The 6EA8 draws 450mA with all the pins and such appearing to be the same.  
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6EA8.pdf

So it seems i should be able to use the 6EA8 in this DAC.  Unless it can't handle the higher amperage.  
Correct me if I am wrong.  Still new to the whole vacuum tube area.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #7,323 of 8,309
  So the 6DJ8 draws 365mA That is verified to work with the Aune  
http://www.audiomatica.com/tubes/6dj8.htm

The 6EA8 draws 450mA with all the pins and such appearing to be the same.  
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6EA8.pdf

So it seems i should be able to use the 6EA8 in this DAC.  Unless it can't handle the higher amperage.  
Correct me if I am wrong.  Still new to the whole vacuum tube area.  

Well, people were using the 6H30Pi which apparently pulls over 800mA of heater current...

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #7,324 of 8,309
So tried the 6EA8 and only my right headphone speaker produced sound and didn't sound great.  Both of the 6EA8 s that i own did this.  The others seem to be TV vacuum tubes, so sadly i didn't find a good one out of the bunch.  The 7308 I already own sounds great.

Might have to turn them into some sweet steampunk projects.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #7,325 of 8,309
Why do people say the amp for Aune T1 isn't so good? Because of how it sounds? Or because it isn't very powerful?

The specs I've seen on the amp looked pretty powerful. 400mw at 120ohms which in my head is rather decent power

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #7,326 of 8,309
It's just a run of the mill op-amp. The sound can be improved by using a different amp, but I do agree that it can sound nice with certain headphones. I use it to drive my HD-650's when I'm away from home half the time and it sounds wonderful. You can certainly get even better sound trying to use the T1 as a DAC, feeding another amp as well.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #7,327 of 8,309
Just want to share a silly story of mine:

For several days I think my Aune T1 died, because when I switch the power, the unit didn't power up. The last time, the electricity down on my block for several hours without explanation. I was thinking the tube died, because of sudden power off. I hadn't time to search for my spare tubes (I was feeling lazy). So for several days, I had to listen to on board soundcard via cheap speaker (gasp!). Today I was feeling little fresh, so I tried to look why the unit didn't power up. Tube.... looks fine. Cable to unit.... tight. Then I trace back the power unit and then I saw that it was unplugged from power plug! How silly oh me... Must be unplug it when I swept the floor last week
tongue_smile.gif

Thank God it still running fine.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #7,328 of 8,309
Hi joeq70,

Firstly I am sorry if my message is not in the right section or I shouldn't be asking questions in this way. I am new to this forum. Your thread really interested me and I can see that you have pretty good knowledge about Hi-Fi in general. I would like to ask you something about Aune T1.

I bought this amazing tube DAC/amplifier about 4 moths ago with Beyerdynamics 990 PRO 250OHM. I use my setup daily for many hours. between 5 - sometimes 10 hours. I listen to the music, games, voice chat (Teamspeak, Skype etc.).

If it comes to the sound I was blown away. But ...

Lately I started to experience problem with the sound. When I start my Aune T1 and the light indicates that uninit is ready, I am getting rattling sound especially if it comes to the bass part of the song and the speech in videos. I have to wait 20 seconds or so until this "broken sounds" go away then everything is back to normal and I am getting normal sound again. I have done some tests and I found out this only happens when unit is cold. When I switch it off and back on in lets say 10 seconds, I am not having this problem. But when I leave it to cool down then I experience this problems.

I checked the cables and tube, everything looks normal as on the beginning. Also temperature of the unit is fine. Slightly warm but that is normal probably due to the tube.

"UPDATE"
While writing this post, I lost my audio completely. Although I can't see any visible light changes or discoloring in the tube.

Could you please tell me your personal opinion? Or anyone who has experienced similar problems. It is kind of strange because I have had the unit for not so long. Would you advise me to get in touch with the seller or manufacturer? 

Also could you suggest some good websites for a tubes to buy for this little devil please? I am noobie if it comes to advanced Hi-Fi world. That is why I appreciate any tips and tricks from experienced person.

Thanks a lot.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #7,329 of 8,309
Sounds like your tube is the issue.

Try the following:
Connect an RCA cable to the input of the T1.
Flick the switch on the T1 to "Line".

This will be bypassing the tube and should help you check if that is the issue.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #7,330 of 8,309
Aug 9, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7,331 of 8,309
Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but I've noticed large differences in the sound quality between tracks played through my Aune T1 from my PC and my iPhone. Although using the exact same track in the same format and quality, the results differ substantially (PC sounds better).

I was under the impression the Aune does the converting and amping so technically regardless of source, it should sound the same. Or have I understood wrongly?

I do not have a sound card in my PC by the way, not sure if that's relevant.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #7,332 of 8,309
  Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but I've noticed large differences in the sound quality between tracks played through my Aune T1 from my PC and my iPhone. Although using the exact same track in the same format and quality, the results differ substantially (PC sounds better).

I was under the impression the Aune does the converting and amping so technically regardless of source, it should sound the same. Or have I understood wrongly?

I do not have a sound card in my PC by the way, not sure if that's relevant.

Actually, it should sound better than your PC's onboard sound. That is strange. Check if you have any software equalizers messing up the sound, turn them off then plug in your T1. That should help fix the problem. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #7,333 of 8,309
Actually, it should sound better than your PC's onboard sound. That is strange. Check if you have any software equalizers messing up the sound, turn them off then plug in your T1. That should help fix the problem. 

I think there may have been some confusion about my question. To clarify, I'm doing a side by side test of:
1) PC -> Aune T1 -> Headphones
2) iPhone -> Aune T1 (through CCK and unpowered usb hub) -> Headphones

And the results are 1 is better than 2, despite using the same tracks in the same formats. There's a marked difference in soundstage and detail.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #7,334 of 8,309
Hi Mikoss,

Yeah it was a tube. I just got a new JJ E88C Gold pin tube. No more issues as I mentioned previously. Also I can see quite a difference in sound (improvement of course :) ).

It is strange that my old tube lasted only for so long (around 4 moths). Hope I won't need to change a tube that often.

Thank you for response anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back