Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 24, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #7,306 of 8,309
  Sounds like you would enjoy the Telefunken tubes... they are the quickest sounding tubes to my ears. The NOS Telefunkens are expensive, but JJ is currently making rebranded tubes which are supposed to be decent. I would imagine that they do not compare with the original Telefunkens, but it's worth a shot. 

To give you an idea on cost, here are some links...

Original Telefunken tubes - very fast, quick decay, "solid state" sounding, with a very natural sounding tube infused sound... not particularly warm or bloomy... good for faster genres like metal/jazz:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Telefunken-E88cc-NOS-tube-/201388070918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee3aa1806

(Note the getter and the support, with the dimple in the middle and the angle on it. Also note the number code vertically on the side, and the gold pins. Also note the dual supported stage, beneath the getter, and the shape of the grid. The ones made in Ulm, Germany have a diamond imprinted on the bottom... these are the most sought after).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TELEFUNKEN-E88CC-ECC88-CCa-6DJ8-6922-ULM-GERMANY-1968-GOLD-PIN-SINGLE-TUBE-/400959682714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5b0f389a

(Another auction with good pictures, note how everything checks out as per above)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-TELEFUNKEN-tube-E88CC-E88-CC-NOS-NIB-6L6-300B-AD1-Eb-AD1-350-380-CCA-/261963352743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfe3b8aa7

(And another)

Here are the new production tubes, made by JJ in Chekoslovakia. The black label ones are apparently hand selected.
http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/black-diamond-tubes/e88cc-tk.php

I would also recommend a Russian tube; the Voskhod rocket style actually does quite well with faster genres, such as metal. Instead of buying off eBay, you may want to contact @rb2013 as he has a selection of tested tubes. He is also a great resource for 6DJ8 tubes, as he put up a fairly comprehensive review. He rates the Russian tubes as #1... I do not. He has a lot of believers in the tubes, and I personally found they worked best for fast genres, myself. The Russian tubes are a crapshoot on eBay, and I would strongly urge to consult rb. They are also fairly cheap, although he probably sells the most highly rated ones for more. I haven't heard any of his "holy grail" rated tubes, so I can't comment on them.

PS. The model numbers and price of headphones doesn't dictate quality... (eg. the Beyer DT-880's imo are much better sounding headphones than some of their newer models.) Just food for thought. Price does not always equal listening pleasure. 

Hi Mikoss,

Appreciate the links and the information. I will get in touch with RB2013, was reading through his reviews, makes it much harder to decide now.
Though i will probably get a telefunken (either ones from the ebay or the new ones )...

I own the HD700 and the Aune T1 mk1. Besides the stock tube, the only other tubes that I have are all of the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 kind.

Some quick impressions of the Aune T1 with Orange Globe tubes and the HD700 combo:

Vocals are definitely pronounced - but they aren't extremely in your face. Guitars come through cleanly and distinctly in rock music (I listened to some Eagles and Aerosmith to test this out), though I wouldn't say they are at the forefront of the music. The HD700 definitely is not clinical here - this combo gives it a bit of warmth that works well with most genres of music. Actually, I really like this combo because the Orange Globe tubes seem to tame the treble of the HD700 a bit (which is good for the HD700, but to me is a bit annoying with other headphones). The only complaint that I have is that the Orange Globe tubes don't seem to provide as much bass in comparison to other tubes (like the stock one) - but I'm not sure how important that is in rock music.

In case if you're interested, here's a couple of listings on eBay that I found for the Orange Globes:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMPEREX-ECC-88-6DJ8-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-ORANGE-GLOBE-VACUUM-ELECTRON-TUBE-GOOD-L-27-/400957560876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5aeed82c (for one tube)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SET-OF-4-AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-LOGO-ECC88-6DJ8-VINTAGE-TUBES-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-/261976576234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cff0550ea (for a set of four tubes)

In my experience, you should be fine buying used tubes, especially if the seller has good ratings and/or provides information how the used tubes have tested on some kind of machine. I actually bought a set of four used Orange Globes like the second listing, and the tubes are still going strong more than a year I bought them.

*EDIT: Actually, I don't want to sound like I'm shamelessly promoting myself, but if you want, I can sell you some of my other Orange Globe tubes for cheap. Just PM me. But if you really are in Europe, I probably can't sell it to you because shipping costs would probably be higher than what I'd sell you the tubes for since I'm in the US.

@chowmien83 Thanks for the links  and you've got a pm.. since i do have an option for you to ship the tubes to the states, just in case you are willing to sell it .

I cant wait to get my hands on the HD700's and start listening on them...

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #7,307 of 8,309

The GE tubes normally don't sell for as much as much as the Amperex tubes... it arguably isn't worth as much. You would be much better to ask for a replacement in kind, which would be an equivalent Amperex Holland tube. See if that is an option... before you agree to anything, you can post here with the info he gives and we will let you know if it's legit. 

It's up to you though :)

Finally got a reply back from seller about other options.

-----------------------------------------------
One 6DJ8 I have on hand was Holland-made, probably same factory as Amperex, but it also has a Mullard code near the base. What's more, it's branded by RCA in orange print. I believe it was used in a laboratory scope.
-----------------------------------------------

Any good you reckon? Otherwise I'll just go for a refund

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #7,308 of 8,309
Sounds like it is probably a comparable tube... Ask if he can take a pic... Date/batch/factory code and internal construction need to be seen.

I just swapped in a 6DJ8 orange globe to my Aune yesterday, since it's been over a year since I heard them. They're beautiful tubes. Mullards should have a B factory code if they were made in the UK. If the Mullard has a half triangle (delta) code, it's made by Philips/Amperex in Holland.

The B code Mullard 6DJ8's seem to be a bit tougher to find, and can sound quite like the Holland tubes. To my ears, the mids are stunning... Very liquid sounding. The treble and bass is perhaps a bit drier than Holland tubes, but guitar on Mullards is bliss.

All in my opinion. :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #7,309 of 8,309
Sounds like it is probably a comparable tube... Ask if he can take a pic... Date/batch/factory code and internal construction need to be seen.

I just swapped in a 6DJ8 orange globe to my Aune yesterday, since it's been over a year since I heard them. They're beautiful tubes. Mullards should have a B factory code if they were made in the UK. If the Mullard has a half triangle (delta) code, it's made by Philips/Amperex in Holland.

The B code Mullard 6DJ8's seem to be a bit tougher to find, and can sound quite like the Holland tubes. To my ears, the mids are stunning... Very liquid sounding. The treble and bass is perhaps a bit drier than Holland tubes, but guitar on Mullards is bliss.

All in my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pics came through from seller:

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7,310 of 8,309
So I'm going to say this isn't a Philips Holland tube... I believe it is a Matsush1ta, tube... and therefore I'd ask him for a refund. (You may also opt to just take the tube... it may very well be a Holland tube, or it may sound just fine, even if it's not a Holland tube).

Couple of reasons/distinct things that I can see, despite the tube being labelled as a "Holland" tube:

- All Philips tubes have four creases along the top. I don't see that.
- The getter flash (grey/silver stuff near the top) does not look like it was made in Holland... way too much getter flashing there. Holland tubes have a smaller amount, normally. Matsush-ta tubes have that slanted style getter, with a lot more showing.
- The nipple at the top is long and thin, looks less like a Philips job and more like a Matsu job.
- Can't see any factory code on the tube, and the pics are kind of tough to zoom in on to see it.

Here are what Matsush1ta tubes look like... to give you an idea: 
https://goo.gl/xXEVNS

I hope that link works... HF ridiculously censors "sh1t", so Matsush ita doesn't really show very well.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #7,313 of 8,309
Hey you guys!!! (browning points for getting the movie reference).

Had my T1 MK2 for over a year now and I'm still running the stock tube. What I'd like is less touch less treble and more bass. Cans are AKG 550. My usage is 80% films 20% music.

Budget 30-40 quid inc shipping to France. I was thinking maybe the Voskhod Rocket?

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #7,314 of 8,309
Quick review of the MK2 (electro-harmonix tube).

So it doesn't hold up to the uberfrost+asgard 2 (which is to be expected, they are $770).  The amp section is not great, running the dac out into the asgard sounds better.

I can hear the tube tonality compared to the bifrost, and it sounds nice on orchestras, but not as much on other things (compared to the bifrost).

It's certainly a good option though, $170 is a bit high, someone would have to run this against the monoprice SS amp or whatnot.  (I got a broken one for free, and RMAed it, which was a PAIN).

This could be tube related though.  (I am not remotely familiar with tubes)

Edit: One other note, the sound is VERY warm.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #7,315 of 8,309
  Quick review of the MK2 (electro-harmonix tube).

So it doesn't hold up to the uberfrost+asgard 2 (which is to be expected, they are $770).  The amp section is not great, running the dac out into the asgard sounds better.

I can hear the tube tonality compared to the bifrost, and it sounds nice on orchestras, but not as much on other things (compared to the bifrost).

It's certainly a good option though, $170 is a bit high, someone would have to run this against the monoprice SS amp or whatnot.  (I got a broken one for free, and RMAed it, which was a PAIN).

This could be tube related though.  (I am not remotely familiar with tubes)

Edit: One other note, the sound is VERY warm.

Hi manywelps,

I have the first version of Aune, and i know that the output state is SS and not a high end one at that. I agree that the Amp signature is quite warm and nice to listen to.

I reckon the best option is to use the Aune as a tube DAC which takes USB input directly from your laptop or tablet and then pass the output to a better Tube Amp like Asgard or BH or some better sounding tube amps.

I plan to buy a tube amp and test this combination out, though that would need some time. for now, i am slowly getting into a bit of tube rolling.

Happy listening with the MK2.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #7,317 of 8,309
So i am going to dig through this thread, but just wondering if any of these amps i picked up on the cheap are compatible with the Aune T1

http://imgur.com/a/5Lxoq

I know none of the numbers are in the compatibility list, but just want to make sure.  

The 7308 I know works with the AUNE since I bought it with the DAC.  

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #7,319 of 8,309
  So i am going to dig through this thread, but just wondering if any of these amps i picked up on the cheap are compatible with the Aune T1

http://imgur.com/a/5Lxoq

I know none of the numbers are in the compatibility list, but just want to make sure.  

Nice collection... as you're probably aware, those are actually vacuum tubes, not really "amps".

As for compatibility, I'm not sure myself, but a good spot to start would be searching for the tube datasheet on Google, and then comparing with the 6DJ8 datasheet. You'd want to ensure the pin-outs are the same, and then you'd want to look into the current draw for the heater as well. (I'm not so adventurous myself as to try anything but the tubes on the known compatibility list - here is a link to that post, by @lwrs10)...

The 6--- tubes have 6 volt heaters, so they may work without socket adapters. I wouldn't just plug any in until you go through the datasheets and feel comfortable with trying them though.

edit: 6AQ8 looks to be ok to use.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #7,320 of 8,309
Going to double check, but i think the 6EA8 might work as well.  Believe it just uses more amps.  

Is there a way to test the tubes without a tube tester?  Just don't want to have any shorts and fry my AUNE.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back