Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5,507 of 8,309
What do you guys think of the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC tube? And how does it compare to the stock 6922EH tubes?

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,508 of 8,309
I find the Gold Lion to have the same sound signature as the EH6922, with everything a little bit better across the range. Highs, mids, and lows more extended... a bit better sound stage. If you like the EH6922 sound, you'll probably like the Gold Lion a little bit better. YMMV of course.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #5,509 of 8,309
I find the Gold Lion to have the same sound signature as the EH6922, with everything a little bit better across the range. Highs, mids, and lows more extended... a bit better sound stage. If you like the EH6922 sound, you'll probably like the Gold Lion a little bit better. YMMV of course.

Ah, i see. Would you recommend anything else at that price range ($40) ?

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #5,510 of 8,309
Just received mine....paired to Sony MDR-XB1000 headphones.. First impressions ....XB1000 woke up from the dead and they are dancing! First time I feel the speaker moving. Sound is good, clear with lots of dBs! Love it!

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,511 of 8,309
Ah, i see. Would you recommend anything else at that price range ($40) ?
It's hard to say without knowing the sound you are looking for. You can't go wrong with any of the vintage Amperex tubes from the 60's and early 70's. The Holland made Orange Globe tubes are very musical and sweeten the sound.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #5,513 of 8,309
It's hard to say without knowing the sound you are looking for. You can't go wrong with any of the vintage Amperex tubes from the 60's and early 70's. The Holland made Orange Globe tubes are very musical and sweeten the sound.

I'll look into those. Thanks :)

I got a Sylvania 6BK7B for super cheap, $4 shipped, sounds great and I think it would work really well with the 880s and MA900s. Nice wide and airy soundstage, good bass. Neutral mids. I love it with my T90s, should be just as good on the 880s. :D

$4? That would be a great place to start. Where did you get yours?

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #5,515 of 8,309
selling a barely used aune t1 with 2 holland amperex orange globes if anyone is interested
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725232/aune-t1-black-with-2-6dj8-holland-amperex-orange-globes-includes-fs-and-signature-confirmation

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5,516 of 8,309
Uh oh, looks like my HP labeled Amperex is a fake. After looking carefully, I didn't see the seam which divide the top. It also didn't had any code etched on the lower part. I tried searching HP labeled Amperex and found this http://tctubes.com/Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-white-HP-label.aspx and mine didn't match the picture. In the linked url, you can see the seam on the top part, while mine didn't had any. I only put it on T1 this afternoon, so I can't give any comment on the sound yet, but it sounded less holographic than my Phillips PCC88. The sound less defined, separation between sounds is worse. The sound also didn't had this raw quality to it. Vocals isn't as forward as my Phillips PCC88.

On the other hand, I think my Phillips PCC88 is settled now. My Phillips PCC88 rawness is less after 50 hours, but still enough to give guitar and vocals edge and "real" feeling. The treble is also mellowed little bit. Definitely a keeper.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5,517 of 8,309
  Uh oh, looks like my HP labeled Amperex is a fake. After looking carefully, I didn't see the seam which divide the top. It also didn't had any code etched on the lower part. I tried searching HP labeled Amperex and found this http://tctubes.com/Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-white-HP-label.aspx and mine didn't match the picture. In the linked url, you can see the seam on the top part, while mine didn't had any. I only put it on T1 this afternoon, so I can't give any comment on the sound yet, but it sounded less holographic than my Phillips PCC88. The sound less defined, separation between sounds is worse. The sound also didn't had this raw quality to it. Vocals isn't as forward as my Phillips PCC88.

Did you have a link to any pics or an ebay listing of the Amperex? Hopefully it isn't a fake and will come around after a bit... just wanted to see some pics if you had any.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,518 of 8,309

Did you have a link to any pics or an ebay listing of the Amperex? Hopefully it isn't a fake and will come around after a bit... just wanted to see some pics if you had any.

This is the listing: http://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Hewlett-Packard-6DJ8-ECC88-made-by-Amperex-Vacuum-Tube-Valve-TV-7-TESTED-/231111799724?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&
and the picture (from the listing)
This my picture (sorry for the quality):

I really hope this is not fake, because the vocal is kind of sweeter than my Phillips PCC88. See next post.

EDIT: please let me add this tube had "Germany" text on it. Still searching about this tube.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,519 of 8,309
Interesting. I think it looks like a Russian tube, but I'm no expert. (Maybe Sovtek?) 

Here is another listing from the same seller that I think also looks odd...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-Style-AMPEREX-6DJ8-ECC88-Fat-Pinched-Bottom-VACUUM-TUBE-Cup-Getter-356-/231078581807?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35cd5b562f&_uhb=1

Interested in other opinions on these tubes. Are you going to contact him about returning it, or are you happy with the sound?

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #5,520 of 8,309
The sound is quite interesting actually. Compared to my Phillips PCC88: this tube is less detailed, but more fun. The vocal isn't as raw, and treble is even less, sometimes make me think of 'veiled'. Bass is little bit less controlled. Everything is take a step backward. Rather relaxing actually. Is this how Sovtex sounded? I'll give more comment after 50 hours, just to make sure.

I'm also interested in other opinions. Is this tube a fake? or just an oddball?

I don't think I'm going to return it, too much hassle. And it isn't like I spend 100 dollars or something. Yes, $25 is a high price for Russian tube, but let it be my lesson to be more careful next time :)

And I still got a tube to test: RTC labeled Philips ECC189 which I believe a real deal, since it got seam at the top and code etched at the bottom part.

Quote:
  Interesting. I think it looks like a Russian tube, but I'm no expert. (Maybe Sovtek?) 

Here is another listing from the same seller that I think also looks odd...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-Style-AMPEREX-6DJ8-ECC88-Fat-Pinched-Bottom-VACUUM-TUBE-Cup-Getter-356-/231078581807?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35cd5b562f&_uhb=1

Interested in other opinions on these tubes. Are you going to contact him about returning it, or are you happy with the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back