Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #5,493 of 8,309
  Hey guys, whats up? 

So its about damn time i upgraded the stock tubes on my T1.. i have been using the stock tubes ever since i got the T1
biggrin.gif

im looking for tubes that are bassy and have warm mids that fit the T1 without any mods, budget isn't really a problem.

Suggestions?

I really like Siemens 6992 tubes made between 1960-1970, but sometimes they go for $100 easily if they test above NOS like mine did.  Mine is a possible CCa tube which is extremely rare because of the number/lettering and it says Made in Germany on the side.  Only downside to Siemens is they aren't as punchy in the bass range as say a Smokey GE.

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #5,494 of 8,309

I really like Siemens 6992 tubes made between 1960-1970, but sometimes they go for $100 easily if they test above NOS like mine did.  Mine is a possible CCa tube which is extremely rare because of the number/lettering and it says Made in Germany on the side.  Only downside to Siemens is they aren't as punchy in the bass range as say a Smokey GE.

thanks, i'll look into that tube..

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #5,495 of 8,309
Hey guys, whats up? 

So its about damn time i upgraded the stock tubes on my T1.. i have been using the stock tubes ever since i got the T1 :D

im looking for tubes that are bassy and have warm mids that fit the T1 without any mods, budget isn't really a problem.

Suggestions?

There are thousands of suggestions in this thread. A bit depends on the headphones that you use and the type of music that you like. For my taste (classical, classic rock, jazz with Sennheiser HD558) I love Amperex 7308 which is a very musical tube. I use "driver grade" which is fine for the T1 and cost about $50 USD from Upscale Audio. Unfortunately UA charges absurd sums for out of US mailing. I would assume that there are other sources including eBay that may do better. Use the "in thread" search for particular interests.

The Siemans is a fine tube, but I prefer the 7308 a little bit.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #5,496 of 8,309
You have a CCa Siemens?

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #5,497 of 8,309
You have a CCa Siemens?

The writing is somewhat worn off. From what I can read it says Siemans E88 CC it has gold pins. I can't see an a and I didn't get the original box. As I said it is a good tube and I will switch it with the 7308 so I can compare.

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #5,498 of 8,309
look at the inside of the tube, is there a metal shield on both sides (once you figure out the orientation) and if so what does it say?

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #5,499 of 8,309
@CoiL just PM'd asking if I'd confused PCC88's with PCC85's, which I completely did. Sorry, the PCC88s just use different heater voltages... They should work fine with no distortion; glad you're able to get them cheap!

Also thanks for the PM @CoiL.
biggrin.gif
don't want to mislead anyone.

Yeah I actually thought so too, because when you search the thread for 'distortion' the only thing you'll find are posts concerning ECC85 tubes
biggrin.gif
 But no problem, I just didn't have much time for the forum lately that's why I didn't comment on that.
Can't wait to hear all these tubes... 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5,500 of 8,309
  look at the inside of the tube, is there a metal shield on both sides (once you figure out the orientation) and if so what does it say?

Also, some of the Siemens tubes have date codes screen-printed on the sides... a couple of mine don't have anything on the shield, but they're screened (you may need to look very closely and use a light to catch the screening). Mine aren't CCa's though :p

Hey teb, I find the Siemens to have deeper bass compared to the 7308, and perhaps a bit more representation of highs. I'm very interested in hearing your impressions as well, as I have a very tough time figuring out which tube to keep in my T1. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #5,501 of 8,309
  Also, some of the Siemens tubes have date codes screen-printed on the sides... a couple of mine don't have anything on the shield, but they're screened (you may need to look very closely and use a light to catch the screening). Mine aren't CCa's though :p

Hey teb, I find the Siemens to have deeper bass compared to the 7308, and perhaps a bit more representation of highs. I'm very interested in hearing your impressions as well, as I have a very tough time figuring out which tube to keep in my T1. 
biggrin.gif

FYI,
my CCa has the code on the shield.

But, the main reason I'm chirping in is that I find the CCa to be my reference tube.  (It should be, it cost enough!)  Seriously, it will have deeper base and more highs--that's the nature of this tube. (YMMV)

That said, regarding "...which tube to keep in my T1" I'm laughing (at myself), with five tubes, 6 cans and 4 IEMs.  Tube-can/IEM-genre-recording quality combos are a crap-shoot for me at the moment--but sure is fun when I hit the mark!  More toys than time...

Regards, 

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #5,502 of 8,309
I was reading through the thread a few weeks back regarding how many people break the plastic (and weak) tube protectors supplied with Aune T1. Having knocked mine twice by accident with brush of the hand I became tired of the supplied protectors . I discovered a post by one member many pages back who was going to try one of these protectors found on eBay though he never did return to my knowledge with the outcome. Thinking it was a great idea I decided to order one myself.  

It hasn't been fixed yet, nor have I polished the chrome, though I have a plan of attack for attaching it full-time. I think it gives the Aune quite a new appearance.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #5,504 of 8,309
Very nice. I might install a guard now. Especially since I've settled down on the rolling.
biggrin.gif

I believe a black on gold version would also work well, (they're the same price)

Here's a virtual reality version I whipped up. 

About attaching the tube guard:

It will be secured quite easily by drilling three additional holes on the top-base of Aune. You just need to be careful not to let any aluminum drop inside the unit. To do this I suggest using a vacuum while drilling and do it slowly whilst the unit is on Its side. What you want is a drill bit just a tiny bit bigger than the three pins (or Allen key bolts) sticking out the top of the tube guard. So it will basically slot there exactly like the old plastic protectors making easy access to change tubes.

I'll report back once this is done, though really mines been fine simply sitting there without any support. especially if the Aune is out of hands reach or on a table away from being knocked. I will however get the job done, just a matter time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,505 of 8,309
Finally able to spend some times with my new Philips PCC88. The code is GAE Δ6L4. This tube got about 20 hours on it. My music collections is rather diverse, from pop to classics, cross-overs, jazz, world/ethnic, rock, alternative-rock. Anything interesting and I will listen to it.
My first impression is lower upper treble than EH 6922. The bass also lower in quantity. Philips PCC88 more neutral than the v-shaped EH 6922. Songs with boosted treble (like James Arthur album) much easier to bear now. The treble is almost too much. By almost, I mean that little bit more and I will find it painful. EH 6922 definitely sharper sounded.
Vocal take several steps forward, maybe one or two. The sound-stage is smaller, but little bit more precise. Gotye's Hearts a Mess and Adele's Live At The Royal Albert Hall  sounded much more live-like than EH 6922.

But, is it me or Philips PCC88 did sounded.... rougher? Vocals and instrument had this raw sound to it, much more than the smoother EH6922. Or is it because the vocal is more forward on Philips? Or it's how the album recorded, and this tube simply let me hear it? Like how Lana Del Rey sounded on her latest album, Ultraviolence (please don't shoot me, but I love her kind of voice). The electric guitars especially. Raw. Like Fatoumata Diawara guitars and vocal in her song Kanou.

Will spend more times with this tube. Still had 2 other tubes to try. Now, if only I could find some good deal on GE smoked bottle... I kind of liking how those smoked tube looked :D
And those legendary warm Mullard, Brimar and other English made tubes. They are so expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back