Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3,856 of 8,309
  Well Ill be damned......found a Valvo ECC85 in my pile......so far its the winner. But a few hundred more tubes to go!

Next up is trying 10 or so different 6SN7's I have laying around with an adapter I have.

Listen guy..we can't afford you..you keep finding tubes and we keep buying...LOL. I though the two hole mullard was the winner ?

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,857 of 8,309
lwrs10, sry if I`m skeptic but you are doing all this compare too fast and without proper analytical listening as I can see. Now Valvo ECC85 is winner - by what? 
Please pick some out, take some time, choose lossless music from different genres and start comparing. Soundstage size, imaging, bass, mids, highs, transparency, separation etc.
Make sure Amperex 7308 is one main competitor, since it`s been most recommended high-end tube for Aune T1, especially in terms of "holographic" sound. 
I could also run through my tubes again fast and I`m sure with certain music genre (rock/metal for example) some tubes sound better than my top tubes. But is it better with other genres? And then there`s setup differences etc. 
It`s good to know that there are many "new" types to try but I won`t rush into buying anything you say is better because I haven`t seen any analytical comparing by you. It`s like I suggested Amperex 6GM8 to acrorob but he found GE 6GM8 much better for him. Don`t take this bad way, just something to think about and how to be more informative to other members.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,858 of 8,309
These are my initial impressions. Simple as that. After I get a group of the ones I liked the most after a couple songs, then they will be analysed deeper. I have hundreds of hours with my 7308 already, so I have been comparing everything it it.

This is how I do things. I can usually immediately hear the differences between tube types/brands. Some more than others. I does not take me hours to decide on any piece of audio gear ever. 1-2 of my favorite songs is all it usually takes. I built my own tube amps in my main system, and have been through enough tubes in that. When you have a setup that is very resolving it does not take hours and hours and 20 of your favorite albums to decide.

Now all that being said, I have different tubes for different styles of music too. 

Metal: A nice crunchy very forward tube, like the Russian 6N1P or the 6N23

Normal Rock: A very detailed slightly warm tube. I like the Amperex 7308 here. 

Jazz: A detailed, neutral, wide, and deep soundstage tube. A NOS Genelex Gold Lion fit this bill.

This is how I usually use my Aune. Now that these ECC85's have come to light, I get to redo all of my findings. Fine with me, means i get to listen to more music.

Also, with a pile of 300 or so tubes here to try, where would I get the time?

I am a busy bee already with these new tubes.....

and I just found these.....Harmon Kardon labelled ECC85's by Amperex, but made in England? Know what that means???

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,859 of 8,309
300 tubes..yeah..someone married the tube fairy...LOL

Good deal.

Actually have 4 tubes inbound. A Sylvania and a Mullard ECC88 and a Siemens GE and a Mullard ECC85.

Like you I immediately pick up differences. I have some key tracks I play to test voice, depth, bass, mids, etc. sometimes it is harder than others if they are close and requires more in-depth (always do anyway) but sometimes it is extremely obvious if they don't really pass my initial test (like the VOKSHOD 6N23P which were really 6H23N)

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,860 of 8,309
I did not mean that you have to take hours & days to compare but just... don`t rush :wink: Will wait for more specific impressions about your new findings.

It`s about taste also. For example, with metal music, foward sounding tube like 6N23P doesn`t like at all for me. Amperex OG 6DJ8 GAC & Ultron SQ PCC189 way better! Actually this - "A very detailed slightly warm tube. I like the Amperex 7308 here." fits for those tubes & my taste with metal/rock/progressive/jazz. Those two tubes have middle-sized soundstage, slightly smoothed highs, great bass & mids. Kind of sweetspot for me for those genres.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,861 of 8,309
The top 20 of all these tubes will get a very detailed write up for you to decide from. I will not concentrate on what music I like them with, but will be about how it sounds to me. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #3,862 of 8,309
Ok. Do your impressions as you like. My method is usually like this - 1 song from at least 3-4 main different genres like EDM, rock/metal, jazz, classical - that way it would be more useful to everybody.
And some songs are chosen specially for detecting soundstage size and imaging. That way I can give more accurate impressions for ppl with different music taste, though, my perspective is also subjective and setup different.
Anyway, thanks for testing those "new" type tubes and keep us updated! :wink:

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3,863 of 8,309
  Normal Rock: A very detailed slightly warm tube. I like the Amperex 7308 here. 

Jazz: A detailed, neutral, wide, and deep soundstage tube. A NOS Genelex Gold Lion fit this bill.

Interesting. I think 7308 is perfect for jazz.

I did not mean that you have to take hours & days to compare but just... don`t rush :wink: Will wait for more specific impressions about your new findings.

I like his style. Discard the bad tubes and save the clearly better ones for more detailed review. Hasty impressions are one thing, but we're still waiting for you to do that summary review of your tubes. That would, no doubt, be the king of all tube reviews around here :wink:

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #3,864 of 8,309
Discard the bad tubes and save the clearly better ones for more detailed review.

That`s the way to do it!
I also have to revisit my tube review again sometime, but don`t know when because I have too many great sounding tubes and finding differences + judging by genre takes time that I just don`t have ;(
But still, I know my favs with my setup with different genres and I dare to recommend them to others.
  The top 20 of all these tubes will get a very detailed write up for you to decide from. I will not concentrate on what music I like them with, but will be about how it sounds to me. 

That would be awesome review! 

and I just found these.....Harmon Kardon labelled ECC85's by Amperex, but made in England? Know what that means???

Those should be very rare I guess! Haven`t even seen any harman/kardon labeled tubes ;D

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,866 of 8,309
This seems to be getting endless ;D Damn that little black money sucking box! ;D

6BZ7, 6BQ7A, 6BS8 all work.

Did you tested those types by yourself or was it just assumption by tube requirements? Asking because then I know if I will add them to "blue" tube list :wink:

Tube types that will work with Aune T1:

6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, 7308, 6N23P, 6N27P, 6N11, 6N1P, 7DJ8, PCC88, ECC1896ES8
E188CC, ECC86, 6GM8, PCC189, 7ES8, Cca, CV2492, CV2493, CV10320, CV5231, CV5354, 
CV5358, M3624, CV4108, CV5331, CV5464, CV5472, CV8065, CV9838, CV10320, CV10403
6FW8, ECC85 6AQ8, PCC85 & 9AQ8->some may sound distorted due to underpowered 9V heater,
6BQ7A, 6BZ7, 6BS8, 6BK7B->some may not work probably due to "too high" mA current draw.

CV tube types cross-reference: http://www.audiotubes.com/cv2000.htm
Chinese tubes cross-reference: http://www.audiotubes.com/chinese.htm

Tubes marked in green are tube types that I personally have tried with Aune T1 and seem to work with no problems.
Tubes marked in blue are tube types that other users have tried with Aune T1 and seem to work with no problems.
Tubes marked in orange are tube types that have been tested by some users but some of them did not work.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,869 of 8,309
  I've been lurking and reading and can't seem to find the answer to this:

Does the volume knob on top control the RCA line output as well as the headphone output?

It does not control line out, only headphone jack out.

Well I'll be damned.....a 6SN7 actually WORKS!

LOL! ;D But how does it sound? Good? Can you give us schematic for building that adapter? ;P

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3,870 of 8,309
  It does not control line out, only headphone jack out.

Do you accidentally have one of those laying around? -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-RCA-Black-Plate-D-Getter-with-Foil-Strip-6BQ7A-Tube-/111035867145?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item19da40e009

Those seem very interesting because of construction.

LOL! ;D But how does it sound? Good? Can you give us schematic for building that adapter? ;P

Well the first 2 6SN7's honestly sounded kinda dull. They were Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Using a RCA ruby base 6SN7GT and now we are on the right track. Better, but there might be a bit of harshness on the top end. But this is also a NOS tube, so it might need some break-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back