Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,796 of 8,309
  Guys & girls... anybody has any idea how much heater current (mA) will Aune T1 be able to feed? PCC88/PCC189/ECC189 and even PCC85 seem to work despite higher heater voltage required (not in case of Aune tube buffer) but can it handle tubes with little higher heater current like ECC85 (~435mA, 6.3V) ? Is it depending on components inside T1 or power brick able to feed higher currents? 

Coil,

It will handle some higher current tubes, others don't seem to work well.  It's been hit or miss.  Some ECC85 and PCC85 will work, others won't.   I've got several different types of PCC85 (9AQ8) here and only a few of them work well, including early 70s herleen manufactured Amperex, RTC, Philips and Mullard.   The Tungsram, Zaerix (no easily identifiable mfg), and a few others did not.   I've got some very early production Telefunken (Germany) and Mullard (Blackburn) 9AQ8s that I have not yet tried.

I haven't been able to track down any specs that list the maximum mA it can handle.   Since all three sections are powered from the same 15-0-15 VAC input, I've thought about pulling the amp board to see if it frees up more input power for the tube heater circuit. 

-Mike

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,797 of 8,309
Okay so I got my Aune T1 today. Brought it home, put in the tube and connected to the power. The power was cutting on and off so I fiddled with the power connector and it became stable. After running for about 15 mins, the amp became very hot, and then suddenly fumes started coming out of it. I immediately disconnected it and since then nothing, won't even turn on any more. 
mad.gif
I am sending it back for a replacement. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks...

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3,798 of 8,309
Did you buy 110V or 220V version? Did you open power connector and check for loose wires or just fiddled with it? It`s never good idea just "fiddling" with those wires that can`t make proper connection, shorts & problems are fast to come. I don`t remember if Aune T1 had fuse inside it but power plug should also have fuse (at least UK version has), maybe it`s blown? Or maybe your tube was faulty and that`s why Aune switched it automatically on-off and trying to protect itself? Anyway, hope your unit will get replaced and everything turns out ok.

Guys & girls... anybody has any idea how much heater current (mA) will Aune T1 be able to feed? PCC88/PCC189/ECC189 and even PCC85 seem to work despite higher heater voltage required (not in case of Aune tube buffer) but can it handle tubes with little higher heater current like ECC85 (~435mA, 6.3V) ? Is it depending on components inside T1 or power brick able to feed higher currents? 

Coil,

It will handle some higher current tubes, others don't seem to work well.  It's been hit or miss.  Some ECC85 and PCC85 will work, others won't.   I've got several different types of PCC85 (9AQ8) here and only a few of them work well, including early 70s herleen manufactured Amperex, RTC, Philips and Mullard.   The Tungsram, Zaerix (no easily identifiable mfg), and a few others did not.   I've got some very early production Telefunken (Germany) and Mullard (Blackburn) 9AQ8s that I have not yet tried.

I haven't been able to track down any specs that list the maximum mA it can handle.   Since all three sections are powered from the same 15-0-15 VAC input, I've thought about pulling the amp board to see if it frees up more input power for the tube heater circuit. 

-Mike

I have some PCC85 and PCC189 incoming soon. Hope those PCC85 will work. Is it possible to measure mA output from tube pins when it`s turned on? And another idea was that maybe there`s possibility to add additional power to tube from the pins? These are just stupid ideas maybe, sry, I`m not electronics expert ;D

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,799 of 8,309
  Okay so I got my Aune T1 today. Brought it home, put in the tube and connected to the power. The power was cutting on and off so I fiddled with the power connector and it became stable. After running for about 15 mins, the amp became very hot, and then suddenly fumes started coming out of it. I immediately disconnected it and since then nothing, won't even turn on any more. 
mad.gif
I am sending it back for a replacement. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks...

A few questions
Was it the newer 6922 tube amp or 6811?

where did you purchase it from ?

Why did you have to fiddle with the power connector, was it loose ? or did it fee like a broken cable end (where the inside of the end my be shorted? )

What was connected to it besides power?

Was it the original tube?

Let us know...I have not heard of this and don't know about others but after hours and hours, mine gets minor warm, never hot which surprised me with the tube..

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #3,800 of 8,309
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #3,801 of 8,309
Okay so I got my Aune T1 today. Brought it home, put in the tube and connected to the power. The power was cutting on and off so I fiddled with the power connector and it became stable. After running for about 15 mins, the amp became very hot, and then suddenly fumes started coming out of it. I immediately disconnected it and since then nothing, won't even turn on any more. :mad: I am sending it back for a replacement. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks...

You are running off of US current so having the wrong transformer (ie 220 volt) doesn't sound like the problem. My guess is a defective power brick allowed too much voltage which fried the unit. I hope your replacement comes quickly.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #3,803 of 8,309
Thanks everyone for the replies. Here are the answers to some of the questions you asked.

Firstly, I was using a 110 V power adapter which was included in the package. 

Quote:

A few questions
Was it the newer 6922 tube amp or 6811?

It had the newer 6922 tubes.

where did you purchase it from ?

I bought it form javafly through Amazon.

Why did you have to fiddle with the power connector, was it loose ? or did it fee like a broken cable end (where the inside of the end my be shorted? )

The Plug at the amp end was not connecting properly, it was cutting off and on. By fiddling with the wires, I meant I just wiggled the wires and tried connecting them several times. I did not open the power source.

What was connected to it besides power?

My PC usb was connected.

Was it the original tube?

Yes it was the original tube that came in the package.

Let us know...I have not heard of this and don't know about others but after hours and hours, mine gets minor warm, never hot which surprised me with the tube..

I have sent it back to amazon. They could only give e a refund. So I have ordered another one. Hope this one works....
confused.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,804 of 8,309
Strange...When I look at amazon, it says AMAZON prime - ~~Sold by SHENZHENAUDIO and Fulfilled by amazon

Usually the can do an exchange

Hmmm...
http://www.amazon.com/Aune-T1-Upgrade-Version-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QJMRY

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #3,805 of 8,309
YIKE...cancel that one if you are paying $189...
http://www.amazon.com/Aune-T1-Upgrade-Version-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QJMRY/ref=sr_1_17?m=A00433442FV6PCYF2IT64&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1388776714&sr=1-17

Same one as that is $159 on amazon....I posted the link before

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,806 of 8,309
I ordered the upgrade version, would this compliment the hd598 well? Otherwise which tube should i get, something that brings out the bass perhaps? 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3,807 of 8,309
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,808 of 8,309
can someone tell me little more  (year )about the tube on the left ,it has this metal bend inside "A6 9C" (SIEMENS E88CC 6922 RODE K2 MIC )
this one have single support thin halo getter in comparison to A-frame solid/flat disc next to it (both made by Valvola /both have pinched top) it's also little taller 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #3,809 of 8,309
I ordered the upgrade version, would this compliment the hd598 well? Otherwise which tube should i get, something that brings out the bass perhaps? 

I got mine from Pennybuying through Amazon. I ordered the basic but it came with the so-called upgraded 6922 tube. I have the HD558 which uses the same driver as the 598 and the 6922 was good as a starter. You can't really appreciate other tubes unless you have a base to start from. The HD5xx series are open and will never be basshead phones, but I find them to give a good natural bass sound with the Amperex 7308, at least with the music I listen to, acoustic, classical, jazz, classic rock. Your tastes (and ears) may differ. You can check the thread starter and the posts of Salvatore and CoiL for good info on tube selection with different types of music.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,810 of 8,309
Cool...did not want to see you get gouged for $30 ...Good luck this time...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back