Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,752 of 8,309
I wouldn't really compare them at all because of what I highlighted. Other tube amps are dependant on the dac/source that's feeding it. Aune T1 IS the dac. You can compare the amps in which case I would rate it low. I don't much like the SS amp that's in the T1, I find it bright, artificial and tinny. But the dac, It's a great dac that outperforms others IMO.

Yup...clear as mud. LOL

This is a bit confusing because truly, the AUNE is the sum of its parts. So are you saying when the headphone amp portion is not used (USB in to RCA out) then it is only going through the DAC? What about the gain dip switches, no effect on the line out either ?

Thanks !!!

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3,753 of 8,309

Yup...clear as mud. LOL

This is a bit confusing because truly, the AUNE is the sum of its parts. So are you saying when the headphone amp portion is not used (USB in to RCA out) then it is only going through the DAC? What about the gain dip switches, no effect on the line out either ?

Thanks !!!

Rob,

USB In -> RCA Out goes through the DAC and Tube Buffer.    The gain switches only apply to the headphone amp, not to the line out.

Also, if you use RCA In -> Headphone Out, it does not use the tube.

The Garage amps are more closely related to the Bravo / Indeed amps, which was how they came about in the first place, as a more "high end" alternative that didn't need all the mods people were doing to the Bravos.

-Mike

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,754 of 8,309
Okay..that clarifies...so in your opinion as a DAC, its pretty damn nice...its the amp portion you don't think too highly of...so one could literally use the RCA out via RCA to 3.5 into one of these and out to headphones...LOL...

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,755 of 8,309
Or one of these. :)
900x900px-LL-c2ad2537_WorkSetup.jpeg

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #3,756 of 8,309
LOL..show off...that looks like Godzilla and son of Godzilla...
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,758 of 8,309
Two more tubes on the way

Sylvania 6DJ8
Mullard 6GM8/ECC86 made in Germany

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,761 of 8,309
  guys, which lamp you suggest for this DAC is best for electronic music?

thank you.

For electronic, best tubes from my collection are Miniwatt-Dario ECC189 Chartres France (tightest bass & kick out of my tubes and same time goes very deep lows), JAN Sylvania 6922 green label (for EM with more acoustic elements + vocals), Amperex OG 6GM8/ECC86 orange/white prints (for atmospheric electronic music with large "endless" soundstage and 3D imaging) and also stock 6922EH tube is good if you like deep "flowing" bass and also large "sparkly" soundstage.

About Miniwatt-Dario ECC189... I shared a deal link to some ppl and isendono bought 3 of them with crazy good price. Hope he wrotes his impressions when he gets them and burns them in littlebit.

Those are very interesting indeed. Looking foward to impressions.

Edit: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,762 of 8,309
Hello

I am searching for a "low budget" entry level tube amp

I use low impedance headphones: Alessandro MS1, HiFiMAN HE400 and NAD VISO HP50

I found these to be the most appealing:

Schiit Vali (The nicest one in looks, also a hybrid but I read that it's not a good match with Grado Cans, or my MS1)
Little Dot I+ (The only one from the LD line that puts enough power into low ohm cans)
Aune T1 (The only one that doesn't use the tube as an amp)
Garage1217 Project Ember (The ugliest one of all, my girlfriend won't like this in the living room hehe - and it's open!! )

So to you, dear Aune T1 owners:
Does this device deliver the "real" tube sound? I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but I would love to. The OP mentionend that the Aune T1 is a SS amp and a tube DAC, but what does this mean?
Does is still sound tubey? 
Thanks

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #3,764 of 8,309
Hello

Schiit Vali (The nicest one in looks, also a hybrid but I read that it's not a good match with Grado Cans, or my MS1)
Little Dot I+ (The only one from the LD line that puts enough power into low ohm cans)
Garage1217 Project Ember (The ugliest one of all, my girlfriend won't like this in the living room hehe - and it's open!! )

Does this device deliver the "real" tube sound? I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but I would love to. The OP mentionend that the Aune T1 is a SS amp and a tube DAC, but what does this mean?
Thanks

I have no comparison with other tube equipment to judge the degree of "tubiness" but a little tube rolling reveals a significant difference in sound from tube to tube. The tube choices for the Aune are myriad. Some cheap ($8 USD) others expensive (my favourite, the Amperex 7308, costs $75 although the driver grade I use works fine and costs $50). The Aune uses the tube as a buffer on the dac. Take a look at the thread starter (and the linked posts by Salvatore) for more information about the sound of various tubes use the in thread search function to check out other Grado users comments.
Neither the Vali, LD or Ember have a dac, so you will need one with any of those. The Vali looks great but doesn't permit tube rolling (you have to send the unit in to Schiit if a tube needs replacement. The LD looks the most like tube equipment. The Ember is open, as you say. It's also a DIY kit and costs more than any of the others.
Good luck in your search.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,765 of 8,309
  Hello

Thanks

In one word "Yes". It does deliver a tube sound.

First. It is a SS amp and a SS DAC. A tube DAC would be the size of a bus. So all the solid state stuff does its job but exiting the DAC it uses the 6DJ8/6922 tube as a buffer and that is where the "tubey" sound comes from. As Coil pointed out, this is clearly evidenced by tube rolling. I myself in less than a week have tried 4 tubes, each distinctly unique in its presentation.

Also, I think I can speak to tubes...LOL

Vellmen amp welcoming the AUNE to the neighborhood

Hammond Organ amp converted

Coronado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back