Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,647 of 8,309
@ arcorob
Quote:
MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR
, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have 
an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions
The top end is silky and pleasant
, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.

I really like Genalex ,couldn't tell about the other two since I don't have them but it sounds like you might like one of this three 

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #3,648 of 8,309
Spacequeen...LOL...I could almost quote Brent Jesse's site by heart..he supplied my matched 6L6GC's...8 of them...YIKES

I do like Mullards, they are warm and velvety, they do have forward mid's...hmm..and they do take a bit of the "bright" off the top end...BY GEORGE SPACEQUEEN !! I think we have a winner !

Thanks !!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #3,649 of 8,309

slovetro, just to be sure, have you set up your Aune T1 properly? using USB input? how is your gain switch set? WASAPI, ASIO or KSP?  What OS? Using at least 320kbps mp3`s to compare? 

I've made sure that most everything is set up well.  I am using USB input of course.  Gain switches are at lowest levels, I'm not sure about WASAPI, ASIO, or KSP though?  Windows 7, and mostly FLAC and some 320s through Foobar.

HD650 should be 300Ohm if I`m correct, so you should use higher gain position +10dB (little DIP switches at bottom of Aune T1) or maybe even highest +16dB gain as user magusunltd said he uses. Last page on manual: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/3015#post_9898946

About Foobar + Windows 7... you must set up your foobar properly! Set it to WASAPI. If you haven`t done it yet then there might be quite noticeable change in sound quality.

Set those things properly and then you should hear much better sounds :wink:

I'm running my HD650 with Aune T1 + Amperex 6922 PQ (orange label)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-PQ-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-GOLD-PIN-SWEET-TONE-060-/321272180652?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4acd506fac

The Aune T1 is sufficiently powerful enough to handle the HD650 on highest gain. Although it barely reaches my "max" loudness. I mainly use this combo for most of my music (over Amperex Bugle Boy or Orange Globes). I also have a Genalex Gold Lion tube which is a bit too warm for the HD650... but pairs nicely with my HE-400 for it's bass extension.

I think Amperex is considered warm and quiet tube,the Russian Rocket or Reflector is a different beast 
wink.gif

Wouldn`t say so... imho 6N23P reflector is "warmer" than my Amperex 6DJ8 PQ shield logo. Well actually sort of "muffled" sounding and I don`t really enjoy it, it`s like thin blanket in front of everything (btw, it`s bought from Mike @ RG and has very good measurements). Rocket logo should be great and much brighter & airy sounding as I`ve read impressions used with Aune T1.
About quiet part ...depends on tube measurements and condition because all my Amperex tubes are "loud" enough. I have some few tubes that are noticeably quieter and require more volume but still sound great.

The stock tube sounds nice, I like the forward mids and the holographic nature of the vocalist. 

I have read about some of the other tubes but I don't want to lose those mids, nor the detail...technically, these tubes were not audiophile tubes

You must be hearing things differently or you haven`t heard good tube with good mids like Amperex OG ECC88/6DJ8, Siemens PCC88/7DJ8, Mullard ECC88 etc. Your`e right about "holographic" vocals but it`s not right to use this word until you have heard Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 or Amperex 7308 ...then you will know what holographic sound means :wink:
Imo stock 6922EH tube lacks mids compared with lot of my other tubes.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,650 of 8,309
Just discovered a weird coincidence: my Aune T1 tends to stutter whenever I have an SD card inserted into either the built-in card reader, or an external USB device. I guess it's something to do with the Linux kernel drivers playing up, or maybe I've just got too many devices hooked up. Anyway it works completely fine whenever there's no card inserted.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3,652 of 8,309
You must be hearing things differently or you haven`t heard good tube with good mids like Amperex OG ECC88/6DJ8, Siemens PCC88/7DJ8, Mullard ECC88 etc. Your`e right about "holographic" vocals but it`s not right to use this word until you have heard Amperex 6GM8/ECC86 or Amperex 7308 ...then you will know what holographic sound means :wink:
Imo stock 6922EH tube lacks mids compared with lot of my other tubes.

Coil...lol...in a sense I am hearing things differently...but not for the reason you say ..but thanks for the guide. Until this week, my imaging has been based primarily on my vinyl / analog sound driven by a whole different family of tubes (12A%%) verses the 6922/6DJ8's. The tube sound associated is completely different so I have no frame of reference other than the stock tube - so  - it sounds pretty good...as would all things if you did not hear anything else, Certainly better than the non-dac enhanced digital music.

So now, as I have pointed out prior, I have a whole new learning curve for tubes that will compliment my system (which you have given some direction on..thank you
wink.gif
 )

I am probably going to start with the Mullard (again ease into something familiar) but in comparison, this line of tubes seem pricier in general than the 12A%% family.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas !!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,653 of 8,309
If you are starting with Mullard then start with ECC88 Holland Heerlen made with newer type shield logo ( I have GAG delta5D2, A frame support leg ). It is very good in mids section, almost same as my Amperex 6DJ8 OG GAC (single support leg, dimpled disc, Heerlen) or Ultron SQ PCC189 (Bharat India). Only thing that bothers me littlebit with this tube is its highs section which sounds sparkly and good but it`s somehow "dull & flat" sounding, causes some fatigue with longer listening. Nevertheless it`s one of my top ~5 tubes. And I have talked a lot about alternatives to this tube - 
Philips PCC189 (Heerlen, A-frame), it`s cheaper and widely available and very similiar sounding (If you get really unused NOS then it needs some burning before gets "same" as Mullard).

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3,654 of 8,309
  If you are starting with Mullard then start with ECC88 Holland Heerlen made with newer type shield logo ( I have GAG delta5D2, A frame support leg ). It is very good in mids section, almost same as my Amperex 6DJ8 OG GAC (single support leg, dimpled disc, Heerlen) or Ultron SQ PCC189 (Bharat India). Only thing that bothers me littlebit with this tube is its highs section which sounds sparkly and good but it`s somehow "dull & flat" sounding, causes some fatigue with longer listening. Nevertheless it`s one of my top ~5 tubes. And I have talked a lot about alternatives to this tube - 
Philips PCC189 (Heerlen, A-frame), it`s cheaper and widely available and very similiar sounding (If you get really unused NOS then it needs some burning before gets "same" as Mullard).

Thank you ...Now I am leaning toward the Amperex 7308 or an old 60's Amperex Bugle boy...you have activated my OCD (in a positive sense) which means I will be spending most of today researching...LOL...Great, thanks for the Christmas presenty...LO

All kidding aside, thank you and Merry Christmas

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3,655 of 8,309
Then Amperex 7308 (driver grade) is probably way to go :wink: I would be happy to try it myself but already have very many awesome tubes for different genres and don`t like idea spending ~70$ on single tube. Instead I got lucky and managed to get Amperex OG 6GM8/ECC86 with ridiculous price. It is my most holographic-sounding tube ;P

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,656 of 8,309

Coil,

The "Mullard" sound that Brent Jesse describes (and was quoted comes from the UK plants, most popularly Blackburn and Mitcham.   The Mullard tube you're describing was built in the Philips Herleen plant in Holland, essentially it's a Philips (Amperex) tube.  From the GAG code, it looks like 1975.   It does not sound at all like the 60s and early 70s Mullard UK manufactured tubes.   As I've said before, the logo/label on the tube means nothing.   The etch code tells the story of who made it, where and when.   Companies frequently used other manufacturers tubes and re-labeled them, even more so later on as factories started to close down and "new" tube production dropped off.

Rob,

If you're looking for that sound in the Aune, look for a 1960s Blackburn or Mitcham manufactured 6DJ8/ECC88, 6922/E88CC, 6ES8/ECC189, 9ES8/PCC189.   Many of the UK and Holland tubes even carry GE or RCA labels but are Mullard or Philips manufactured.  The older Amperex tubes also have a rich, warm sound.  The earlier 1960s Herleen manufactured tubes have a more "tube-y" sound than the later dimpled disc getter (1969 GAC single post, and later A-Frames).   Herleen manufactured PCC85s from early-mid 70s also have a similar sound signature to their 6DJ8-family counterparts and work well in the T1.

-Mike

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,657 of 8,309

Coil,

The "Mullard" sound that Brent Jesse describes (and was quoted comes from the UK plants, most popularly Blackburn and Mitcham.   The Mullard tube you're describing was built in the Philips Herleen plant in Holland, essentially it's a Philips (Amperex) tube.  From the GAG code, it looks like 1975.   It does not sound at all like the 60s and early 70s Mullard UK manufactured tubes.   As I've said before, the logo/label on the tube means nothing.   The etch code tells the story of who made it, where and when.   Companies frequently used other manufacturers tubes and re-labeled them, even more so later on as factories started to close down and "new" tube production dropped off.

I know all that. I`m not newbie in this :D I have some Blackburn made tubes also, labeled as Mullard, Valvo, Mazda and even one Siemens was Blackburn made if I remember correctly (don`t bother to bring them all out to check) :wink: Also be warned that Blackburn made doesn`t always mean "warm" sounding tube, for example Mazda PCC189 I have is roughly said like 6922EH sounding with large soundstage and clarity with slightly "recessed" mids compared with old Mullard shield logo PCC189 which has warm intimate tubey sound (and I have 2 different versions of this which sound different) especially good for old rock & jazz  or Valvo PCC88 - they all are Blackburn made.

Btw, acrorob, for which music genre you are mainly listening? Again I have to point out that 1 great tube doesn`t mean it`s good for every genre. For example my Amperex OG 6GM8/ECC86 is "best" & most holographic sounding tube I have but it surely isn`t best for every genre. Most of the time I still find myself listening with Amperex OG 6DJ8/ECC88 GAC, Ultron SQ PCC189 & Siemens PCC189 with progressive rock/metal/djent/jazz. For electronic atmospheric music I mainly use Miniwatt-Dario ECC189, JAN Sylvania 6922 & 6922EH. If I would think of tube more-or-less good for all genres, I would probably choose Siemens PCC189.

Edit, again! ;D

Found one intresting offer, Ei PCC189 (Philips, probably Heerlen made) tubes for 8$, anyone willing to try? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCC189-audio-double-triode-tube-NOS-FREE-SHIPPING-/301003673822?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item46153790de

and again...

One ITT Lorenz PCC189 (Heerlen) with crazy price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ITT-Lorenz-PCC189-/121237246587?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3a4d927b
I Have 2x Lorenz SEL labeled Heerlen PCC189`s and they are very similiar sounding to Philips PCC189 & Mullard ECC88.

and edit again...

Mullard PCC189 Blackburn with good price (can`t make out from the pic if they are with grey or metal vertical center plate, I think grey plate was better if I remember correctly): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matched-pair-Mullard-PCC189-7ES8-tubes-shield-logo-NIB-excellent-condition-/390726042813?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5af91644bd

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3,659 of 8,309
No, it doesn`t have to be @ full volume. Turn it to 0 at first and try with different gain settings which sounds best. You maybe should even use +16dB gain for planars but certainly don`t turn volume to max.

Btw, took out my tubes and checked.... yes, the Siemens PCC189 I have is coded IP1 B7C3 so it should be Blackburn made (someone correct me if I`m wrong) but it is labeled as Siemens and it`s even written made in germany at the other side of tube. About sound, it`s nothing like Mullard Blackburn or Mitcham "house sound", it`s very transparent, middle-sized soundstage, not with too warm neither with too bright sounding, kind of sweetspot. 

I have also 2x Brimar PCC189 which are coded IP1 B2J5 & IP1 B2J4. They are also very good sounding for older rock but again, not as warm & intimate as Mullard PCC189, more like between latter and that Blackburn made Siemens PCC189. Siemens is certainly best out of them in every aspect.

And then I have 2x Siemens PCC189 that are coded IP1
‡​
7L and they are different sounding from that Blackburn made Siemens PCC189, roughly said they are like between latter and Mazda PCC189 (B9I5 , Blackburn). 

So, all that tube sound thingy isn`t as black & white as it seems ;D Crazy and addictive stuff! 

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,660 of 8,309
Okay...my head is spinning...LOL

For vinyl its a different set.

So in keeping with this use, we are talking a mix of newer music - Katy Perry, Maroon 5, 3 doors down, Carrie Underwood..oh and throw in some Travis Tritt, as well as some old school rock (but the latter is usually vinyl, not through the DAC)

I liked the thought of the Amperex 7308 but now I am going to also look at the Amperex 6GM8. Hmm...have to think ..must process data...loop..LOL

As to Brent Jesse, he borrows some of his own descriptions (his Mullard is the same as what he says about the 12AX7 and 12AU7). I like Blackburn plant and not the India or Canada versions.

I also want to get a tube that tests VERY closely matched both sides since the T1 uses both sides - one side per channel - I am thinking balance

I will keep searching and thank you ALL for the input !!! Helps me on my way !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back