Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #301 of 8,309
HA!

I'm making a list of "tubes" before I even order the T1 :blink:

... and I'm tempted to try the Phillips Miniwatt now, but I think I've hit the point of diminishing returns.

EDIT: I've run my turntable through my laptop's line in and out the T1 DAC. All I can say is "WOW!" This is how vinyl is supposed to sound!

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #302 of 8,309
Quote:
(note to self:  re-encode those 160Kbps mp3s).  

I seriously hope you mean re-rip as FLAC and not up-encode 160kB/s mp3's to 320kB/s
Quote:
HA!
I'm making a list of "tubes" before I even order the T1
blink.gif

I already have :/ gonna pair it with my AKG K242HD.
Quote:
... and I'm tempted to try the Phillips Miniwatt now, but I think I've hit the point of diminishing returns.

EDIT: I've run my turntable through my laptop's line in and out the T1 DAC. All I can say is "WOW!" This is how vinyl is supposed to sound!

Your using the Laptops ADC (which is crap) so that will be ruining most of it. and using an ADC and a DAC in a vinyl chain is DEFINITELY NOT how its supposed to sound.
It should be, Vinyl -> phono stage -> T1(audio In) buy you will be missing the tube. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #303 of 8,309
You make a good point, I'll route it through my m-audio fast track ultra and bypass the computer's ADC. Anyway, it still sounded better than it did through my old integrated receiver (which is a piece of crap).

Yes, I meant re-rip as lossless.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #305 of 8,309
Quote:
What would be a good cheap phono pre amp? ~$25 from ebay? :)

Cambridge Audio Azure 551p and 651p are the best your gonna get before spending tons of money. I wouldn't spend less then that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #307 of 8,309
Quote:
Sharing some impressions with tubes. HP`s used for listening test: Superlux HD-681 (mkII filter) & HD-662F (custom filter)

[size=small]Electro-Harmonix 6922-EH [/size]
I like this tube very much and if you don`t bother to mess with tubes, then its good to go as "stock". It has wide spacious soundstage. Well spread out instruments and easy to concentrate on details. Great sence of air. Has more highs and bass depth/reverb than 6N23P. Great tube for towards "fun" sounding HP`s like HD-681 for longer music listening sessions.
Great with different genres but better for electronic music. 

Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 (1969, GAC, large dimple disc getter on a single leg support, NOS)

[size=small]Similiar to 6922EH. Both have wide soundstage, airy sound, very well spread out instruments and easy to concentrate on certain details/instruments. Amperex has less highs and bass is more tight, making it littlebit less airy. More life in mids, bringing vocals more into "sight". I personally find this tube better for rock/metal than 6922EH but sounds great with different genres and is good also good with flat sounding HP`s.[/size]

6N23P (Reflektor logo, from Mike @ rockgrotto)
Has narrower soundstage than tubes mentioned before and instruments are less separated. Less air, space and more foward sounding. Good tube for flat sounding monitoring cans. Personally I prefer Amperex with HD-662F for music listening. For studio monitoring 6N23P is propably better.

[size=x-small]Brimar ECC88/6DJ8 (late 70´, round large halo getter, "cinemascope" logo)[/size][size=small][/size]

[size=small]Not good with Aune T1. It is quite bright and narrow sounding, dry, no liveness, bass is lost.[/size]

[size=x-small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 (1972, made in Hungary, NOS)[/size][size=small][/size]

[size=small]This tube is very similiar to 6922EH. It is hard to compare those 2 and find differences. All I could figure out with my ears is that b[/size][size=small]oth tubes have exactly the same soundstage, space and instrument separation. [/size]
[size=small]With 6922EH there is tinybit more bright top-end and thus makes 6922EH only fraction more airy/detail.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Bass is littlebit more punchy and tighter on Tungsram but again, only a fraction.[/size]
[size=x-small]Atm, for me, it`s the best tube for HD-681 (mkII).[/size]

Overall, for me, the best tube for different genres & cans is [size=small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8.[/size]
[size=small]Will make more comparing between Amperex and Tungsram later.[/size]

[size=small]Also ordered one Tesla PCC88/7DJ8 (NOS, Yellow 32 Factory Code for Tesla Rožnov n.p. Závod Vrchlabí plant)[/size]
[size=small]Will update soon.[/size]

Had some more serious listening between Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 (1969, GAC, large dimple disc getter on a single leg support, NOS) vs [size=x-small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 (1972, made in Hungary, NOS).[/size]

Amperex is certainly better for rock/metal. Overall better for music full of percussive & string instruments. Soundstage/headroom is smaller and has less air and room response. Soundstage is littlebit more laid in front of you. Loud distorted guitar riffs are more separated and identifiable. Vocals more in "sight" and "cleaner". Mids have more "full body". Also if you have more flat sounding HP`s this is certainly better than Tungsram.

In contrast, Tungsram is better for electronic music. More air and larger soundstage/headroom make a feel you are more in middle of room and surrounded by it. Don`t get me wrong, this tube does not have too hollow & hall-like sound that details/instruments start to get "lost". It has very enjoyable soundstage and for longer listening sessions I still prefer this tube to Amperex with different genres. But when you are listening mostly hard rock/metal/trash etc. go for Amperex! Also what I manager to notice, is that Tungsram definitely has more punchy & tighter bass at lower/normal listening volume than 6922EH.

For me these two are the best tubes at the moment. Now waiting for [size=small]Tesla PCC88/7DJ8...[/size]

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #308 of 8,309
^^^-------------   Wow - thanks for all that info.
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #309 of 8,309
Quote:
Had some more serious listening between Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 (1969, GAC, large dimple disc getter on a single leg support, NOS) vs [size=x-small]Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 (1972, made in Hungary, NOS).[/size]

Amperex is certainly better for rock/metal. Overall better for music full of percussive & string instruments. Soundstage/headroom is smaller and has less air and room response. Soundstage is littlebit more laid in front of you. Loud distorted guitar riffs are more separated and identifiable. Vocals more in "sight" and "cleaner". Mids have more "full body". Also if you have more flat sounding HP`s this is certainly better than Tungsram.

In contrast, Tungsram is better for electronic music. More air and larger soundstage/headroom make a feel you are more in middle of room and surrounded by it. Don`t get me wrong, this tube does not have too hollow & hall-like sound that details/instruments start to get "lost". It has very enjoyable soundstage and for longer listening sessions I still prefer this tube to Amperex with different genres. But when you are listening mostly hard rock/metal/trash etc. go for Amperex! Also what I manager to notice, is that Tungsram definitely has more punchy & tighter bass at lower/normal listening volume than 6922EH.

For me these two are the best tubes at the moment. Now waiting for [size=small]Tesla PCC88/7DJ8...[/size]

Try some E88CC also. They seems to be decent quality and I would be very interested in comparison with your other tubes:).

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #310 of 8,309
Quote:
Hmm that wouldn't be worth the price. Then i'd just place my big bulky AV Receiver here and use it just for fun. 

Well i think its a bargain, :p 

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #311 of 8,309
Quote:

I just found both NIB/NOS Tungsram PCC88/78DJ & Tesla PCC88/78DJ on ebay for $7.00/ea + $8.00 shipping!   Thanks for the tip!

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #312 of 8,309
Which Amperex E88CC exactly? If you can find me a cheap pricing one then will try. Atm I´ve managed to get my tubes very cheaply. 
After [size=small]Tesla PCC88/7DJ8 I have already in sight one Mullard CV2492 E88CC/6DJ8. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back