Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jun 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #2,056 of 8,309
Quote:

Try Siemens 7DJ8.

Just received my Siemens PCC88. Can`t read out the first part of the code but I`m guessing it`s DJ8 and second part of code I haven`t seen before, it`s 
‡2C. And on the top of the tube there is written two times 369. On the glass bottom it`s written 22. First impressions - tight & punchy bass but feels littlebit​
"boomy". ​
Warm sounding. ​
Wouldn`t say it`s intimate as Mullard PCC189 & 6N23P reflector but it sounds good, soundstage is wider in horizontal way than​
other ​
two have. ​
Highs seem to be littlebit laid back. ​
Got to burn this tube, I`m (my ears) tired atm after work but ​
sounds interesting. ​

edit: I think it`s one of my least glowing tubes. But it sounds good with metal/progressive rock. Will give more details soon.​

edit2: Seems that tube really needs burning. It has opened up in everything. And seems to be one of the good all-arounder-tubes.​

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,057 of 8,309
It's quite scary to see the tube collection growing... Aune T1 is not cheap after alll. But Tube-rolling is very fun indeed.

The remaining two should arrive on Monday, I would stop for now until I upgrade to WA7 Firefiles or something else.

That's a nice collection of tubes. And yeah, tube rolling can get really expensive. Especially when you get more amps that take different tube sizes. I've got 3 diff types rolling currently. I keep it in a plastic tacklebox with hobby foam.

I need to get another one soon.. :X

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,058 of 8,309
Guys just to let you know I've upgraded my T1 rig with Focal XS Book active desktop speakers. First I auditioned Tangent Evo 4 but they didn't impress me much. The mids were awesome and the case design was brilliant but that was about it. I've auditioned many full size active speakers during the years and somehow I always find myself drawn into the highly musical Focal sound. XS book seems to offer very good value for money, but we'll see after I've got some real time with these new toys. I'll post more impressions after burn in if anyone is interested. At least I'd be interested to know your experiences with T1 speakers systems.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,059 of 8,309
I'm pairing mine with Edifier T1900T3, so far so good, the speakers itself has a tubey sound and coupled with the T1 it has very good mids. Almost holographic. The bass quantity is not as much as my roomate's Aego M, but the quality is good. You can't really beat stereo lows lol.

The XS Book is good, I know one person who sold off his HiVi Swans M50 to choose the XS Book.

Too bad can't listen to the tube when I'm on my turntable.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #2,060 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm pairing mine with Edifier T1900T3, so far so good, the speakers itself has a tubey sound and coupled with the T1 it has very good mids. Almost holographic.

Yeah it really surprised me how clear and transparent the Evo mids were through T1. It wasn't just the speakers that I'm pretty sure of.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #2,061 of 8,309
So It's almost a week since I received my Aune T1 with Electro-Harmonix 6922. Really enjoying it so far. Micro-details just so much better than my FiiO E10, but then Aune T1 cost me almost 3x the FiiO E10 was :D
Treble is better on Aune, fuller on lower treble, with less piercing upper treble. E10 sounded like have this scoped lower treble with more piercing and metallic upper treble.
Vocal isn't as forward as E10, nor as weightier. It's like the vocals take one or two step backward. Smoother than E10, the details is so much better, and more real too.
The bass is awesome, tighter than E10 (which could loose sometimes), layers and details is very good. Not as big as E10, though, but the less veiled mid-bass really nice to hears.
Like Mr. Salvatore said before on this thread, Electro-Harmonix 6922 sound-stage is rather boomerang-shaped: wide on left-right, and not so deep on the front. I would trade some of the wideness on the left-right for deeper front. Compared, FiiO E10 have more consistent sound-stage.

At first, Aune T1 sounded worse than my FiiO E10. Where are the sound-stage? The layering? The Details? And why on earth the treble sounded like cut-off and strange? Then I let it playing music while I go out with a friend. About 3-4 hours later, I plug in my Goldring DR150 and then, wow!!! It's sounded so much better!!! I don't think it's placebo effect, since I was comparing it directly with my FiiO E10. Is it because the tube is heated correctly? I've read several times on other thread of tube amplifier to give them some times for heating the tube. If that's the case, then I'm convicted! (I was sceptical at first, LOL )

Right now I'm enjoying it with my Goldring DR150, still waiting for my Sennheiser HD600. Now, if only July could come faster....

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,062 of 8,309
to add on, I'm using the audioengine A2s with the T1 as DAC. When i switched from xonar DX to the T1, at first the drop in bass quantity was disappointing. But I quickly realised that I was getting quality bass and much, much more detail and imaging. I haven't used the DX since then  
bigsmile_face.gif

EDIT: I tried using my xonar as dac lined into the T1's amp. Hmmm... it's actually still pretty good!

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2,063 of 8,309
Quote:

At first, Aune T1 sounded worse than my FiiO E10. Where are the sound-stage? The layering? The Details? And why on earth the treble sounded like cut-off and strange? Then I let it playing music while I go out with a friend. About 3-4 hours later, I plug in my Goldring DR150 and then, wow!!! It's sounded so much better!!! I don't think it's placebo effect, since I was comparing it directly with my FiiO E10. Is it because the tube is heated correctly? I've read several times on other thread of tube amplifier to give them some times for heating the tube. If that's the case, then I'm convicted! (I was sceptical at first, LOL )

Right now I'm enjoying it with my Goldring DR150, still waiting for my Sennheiser HD600. Now, if only July could come faster....

Hey you're using the DR150 too! Great to see another user here. :D

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,064 of 8,309
I loved the e10 when I had it but I sold it because it was a bit too warm for my taste. I want my source as neutral as I can get. Get an amperex orange globe, if you want a more coherent soundstage and warmer mids. Downside is slightly rolled highs and lows.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #2,065 of 8,309
Another DR150 user!!! :D This little gem is not very well known here, got drowned by newer and bigger brands! I was comparing it with Shure 440 and Alessandro MS1 but liking DR150 more so I bought it.
Quote:
Hey you're using the DR150 too! Great to see another user here. :D

Wow, each people really hears differently, for I found E10 rather bright!
biggrin.gif
The treble could get peaky and splashy. E10 got nice forward vocal, though. I prefer warmer sound, because I rather sensitive to treble, especially upper treble. Right now I'm browsing for Amperex OG on ebay and local forum. I'll try getting a used one, I think, because the NOS are too expensive right now :frowning2:
Quote:
I loved the e10 when I had it but I sold it because it was a bit too warm for my taste. I want my source as neutral as I can get. Get an amperex orange globe, if you want a more coherent soundstage and warmer mids. Downside is slightly rolled highs and lows.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,066 of 8,309
Quote:
So It's almost a week since I received my Aune T1 with Electro-Harmonix 6922. Really enjoying it so far. Micro-details just so much better than my FiiO E10, but then Aune T1 cost me almost 3x the FiiO E10 was :D
Treble is better on Aune, fuller on lower treble, with less piercing upper treble. E10 sounded like have this scoped lower treble with more piercing and metallic upper treble.
Vocal isn't as forward as E10, nor as weightier. It's like the vocals take one or two step backward. Smoother than E10, the details is so much better, and more real too.
The bass is awesome, tighter than E10 (which could loose sometimes), layers and details is very good. Not as big as E10, though, but the less veiled mid-bass really nice to hears.
Like Mr. Salvatore said before on this thread, Electro-Harmonix 6922 sound-stage is rather boomerang-shaped: wide on left-right, and not so deep on the front. I would trade some of the wideness on the left-right for deeper front. Compared, FiiO E10 have more consistent sound-stage.

I really see myself in this post. I came from E17 and also found the T1 to have less sparkle in the treble (maybe because I liked to EQ the E17 treble for +2 db). First I wasn't sure if T1 was any upgrade at all, but once both T1 and my brain got burned in I started noticing the smooth, musical, detailed and layered sound that T1 produced. Bass was also better. Something seemed "off" with the sound stage / imaging, but later on I noticed that it was the stock tube. I found the EH to be wide, but not deep enough. Siemens 7DJ8 is more my cup of tea since it feels deeper and still manages to keep vocals intimate. It also has this nice analog feel in it. Siemens vs EH sound stage is like oval vs boomerang. The best tubes, however, are the ones with big spherical imaging where imaging/positioning matches the sound stage (Amperexes etc.). Orange print Amperexes, for example, have very nice big spherical sound stage where all the instruments seem to be just in the right place. From orange print you can upgrade to 7308 and gain more layers and transparency + better bass. Orange print lacks some of that sparkle which is no longer issue with 7308.

This post of yours was very enjoyable read, thank you for that!

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,067 of 8,309
I upgraded from an E17 as well. I was going to go with the odac originally but I've read where people have said that they didn't see much differences between the E17 and ODac. I didn't want to sidegrade/downgrade for more money so I started looking around more and found the Aune T1. I didn't notice too much of a difference, I ran the E17 as a DAC using the L9 lineout dock. There was clarity and the weird soundstage of the 6922EH, rolled in the russion 6N23P-EB and the soundstage normalized, got nice bass. When I rolled in the Amperex Orange Globe, that was an eye opening experience. I keep reading about how great the 7308 and the curiosity is getting the better of me. I think I'll be springing for one soon to complement the more sterile Telefunken PCC189 that I have. :D

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,069 of 8,309
btw Salvatore, how's the bass on the K702 Annies? I've always wanted to try out the AKG x70x line but most people's impression says that the bass is light. I'm not a basshead (Anymore... :D) but I do like some thump.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,070 of 8,309
Quote:
 When I rolled in the Amperex Orange Globe, that was an eye opening experience. I keep reading about how great the 7308 and the curiosity is getting the better of me. I think I'll be springing for one soon to complement the more sterile Telefunken PCC189 that I have.
biggrin.gif

+1. Orange globe was the first tube to make me shed man tears :D Everything was clicking into places with that tube. This is mainly because of the synergy. I think you have similar synergy with Bayer DT880. 7308 is awesome but the jump from OG to 7308 PQ is not even close to what it was from those first tubes to orange globe. After orange the diminished returns are hitting hard. Tubes get really expensive and the improvement is not so great anymore. This being said, if you can find the perfect pleasing sound with one tube I guess it's worth the investment. To be honest I'm using my 7308 very VERY sparingly. It's for special occasions like my 18 years old Glenlivet whisky :wink:

Quote:
btw Salvatore, how's the bass on the K702 Annies? I've always wanted to try out the AKG x70x line but most people's impression says that the bass is light. I'm not a basshead (Anymore...
biggrin.gif
) but I do like some thump.

Well if you have chance to try x70x, EQ the bass about +3 db. This gives you some idea, but it's not the whole story. It's not only increased bass quantity, but the warmness also rolls into mids as well. You lose some of that crispness, but imo it's well worth it because of the increased musicality and versatility. Some people might hate this comparison, but K702 anniversaries are like a mix of K702 and HD650. Detailed big sound stage, forward mids and warmish spectrum (T1 + anniversaries + female vocal heavy chillout music = heavenly combination). I was able to test K702 vs anniversaries in the same amp and there was no contest for me. I think anniversaries are definitely worth that extra hundred. They are very nice all around cans and much more enjoyable than the standard versions. For people who listen mainly classical I recommend the standard versions.

I should mention that the differences between standard K702 and anniversaries are in the ear pads and head band. Drivers are the same. The anniversary band doesn't have those bumps and the ear pads are non angled tempur like memory foam. This kind of foam gives better seal (think of them as semi open cans). The drivers also come closer to your ear so you don't need so much amplification (loudness wise). I actually have the standars K702 pads as well which I use for classical etc. Definitely good headphones and I'm sure that whoever likes DT880 will love anniversaries. This being said the DT880 are very very nice headphones.

In case you are interested AKG releases K712 pro, which is basically anniversary edition with orange color theme + orange cable + extra coiled 5m cable + carry bag. There is dedicated thread for these cans here. Subscribe if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back