Aune S9c Pro - Impressions thread
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #16 of 83
Not quite, but it doesn't matter.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 83
Hi everyone, @Ichos does that means it can’t be used a standalone dac through the xlr outputs ? Just the rca ? My bad if im misunderstanding thanks
No, it can be used as a standalone DAC both from the XLR and RCA line outputs.

The other guy was asking if you can individually select every headphone output.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 83
Bummer. In that chase if I go the X8 + S17 Pro route then I could only utilize the single RCA line-out connection but not the balanced.
Now I am leaning back toward the Aune S9c Pro (DAC/Amp).
Why? The line output is excellent sounding and if you go single ended in to the S17 you still utilize the full balanced circuit.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 83
Why? The line output is excellent sounding and if you go single ended in to the S17 you still utilize the full balanced circuit.
I think the general consensus is that DAC balanced-out into Amp balanced-in usually sound better. After searching a bit more, I think I could (?) still utilize the X8 balanced-out (preamp) into the balanced-in on the S17 Pro. Hmmm

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 83
I think the general consensus is that DAC balanced-out into Amp balanced-in usually sound better. After searching a bit more, I think I could (?) still utilize the X8 balanced-out (preamp) into the balanced-in on the S17 Pro. Hmmm
You can max the preamplifier output for a full scale output.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #24 of 83
This is nice looking headamp/dac/preamp. I put legs and for me looks better now....I'm 55..further, Im not trained for critical listening and do believe that I can make significant difference through listening various dacs. After I have to sold oppo ha1 I was suffering :) but then 2 years after I bought Aune. I used xlr and 6.6 for headphones amiron and t1 2nd gen ..it sound nice and i had enough power...I used mobile on USB flac dsd...it was nice...coax and optical also as well as Bluetooth(44) from phone....I use it with deembeder ( hdmi from marantz...and coax from deembeder- got 88 / handshake/ marantz cant ouput converted sacd via coax) because want to listen dac...but can't tell now where I am in this moment...dac from marantz is like my NAIM ...hot..warm and laid back little sound...sabre is sharper that's why I would like to test SABRE sound with naim....whatever I am satisfied very....
20231005_081023.jpg

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #25 of 83
The AUNE product lines have nice aesthetic.
I like hifi products that sound and look good. I like the aesthetic of their smaller X series but their upper tier larger units are starting to grow on me more and more. The subtle curves, clean and solid appearance really does the job.
Been looking at sub $1000 equipment. Most are not that aesthetically pleasing. Some are just ugly. But of course beauty is in the eyes of beholder.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 83
Hey guys, just came to drop my impressions after a weeks use. I haven’t gotten this feeling in quite a while, hats off to Aune!! The S9c is very impressive for its price. This is the first time I’ve had something really wow me since monoprices thx dac/amp combo (which had quite a few bugs but sounded really good). I’m coming from using fiio’s k9 pro (akm) for about a year and while it didn’t really do anything wrong, i don’t see me getting rid of the S9c anytime soon.

To start off, this thing looks amazing and sounds super clean without much sibilance or glare, yea it can get a bit hot in the treble with some genres/recordings but it sounds really nice on well mixed records (I’m mean you wouldn’t notice any treble issues what so ever). Very nice holographic and out of your head experience. Keep in mind that it took about 3/4 days for my unit to sound the way I’m describing.

I like to believe that a dac’s job is to be as informative as possible without exaggeration, and for that the S9c is superb, and it’s not boring sounding at all, I’m speaking from strictly headphone amp usage. I haven’t tried the line out but I’d imagine it being clean as well and I’m perfectly fine with that because that’s where i like to start. I like to start clean and add whatever flavor from there with amps. This thing makes me want to invest largely into a tube amp and have the best of both worlds. Do yourselves a favor and don’t hesitate, grab one!!

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 83
Hey guys, just came to drop my impressions after a weeks use. I haven’t gotten this feeling in quite a while, hats off to Aune!! The S9c is very impressive for its price. This is the first time I’ve had something really wow me since monoprices thx dac/amp combo (which had quite a few bugs but sounded really good). I’m coming from using fiio’s k9 pro (akm) for about a year and while it didn’t really do anything wrong, i don’t see me getting rid of the S9c anytime soon.

To start off, this thing looks amazing and sounds super clean without much sibilance or glare, yea it can get a bit hot in the treble with some genres/recordings but it sounds really nice on well mixed records (I’m mean you wouldn’t notice any treble issues what so ever). Very nice holographic and out of your head experience. Keep in mind that it took about 3/4 days for my unit to sound the way I’m describing.

I like to believe that a dac’s job is to be as informative as possible without exaggeration, and for that the S9c is superb, and it’s not boring sounding at all, I’m speaking from strictly headphone amp usage. I haven’t tried the line out but I’d imagine it being clean as well and I’m perfectly fine with that because that’s where i like to start. I like to start clean and add whatever flavor from there with amps. This thing makes me want to invest largely into a tube amp and have the best of both worlds. Do yourselves a favor and don’t hesitate, grab one!!
I am both happy to hear your report and also a bit bummed -- I almost bought this yesterday before finding out that it appears that it cannot simultaneously output to headphone outs AND XLR/RCA out fixed signal on the back -- can you confirm that this is true? I really need to replace my aging Yulong D100 DAC but one thing I need is to be able to pump out those headphones AND get a fixed signal on the XLRs AND RCA's out for my other amps, concurrently, and not be forced to choose between them. 😅

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #28 of 83
I am both happy to hear your report and also a bit bummed -- I almost bought this yesterday before finding out that it appears that it cannot simultaneously output to headphone outs AND XLR/RCA out fixed signal on the back -- can you confirm that this is true? I really need to replace my aging Yulong D100 DAC but one thing I need is to be able to pump out those headphones AND get a fixed signal on the XLRs AND RCA's out for my other amps, concurrently, and not be forced to choose between them. 😅
The line outputs are not fixed but they remember their own volume setting. So you can set the line output to full scale and forget about it. Switching to the headphone out is done on the fly with the remote control.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #29 of 83
The line outputs are not fixed but they remember their own volume setting. So you can set the line output to full scale and forget about it. Switching to the headphone out is done on the fly with the remote control.
But to be clear, it cannot output simultaneously to headphone out and line out at the same time, right? That's the stickler for me.

DAC/amps like the Topping DX7 Pro+ can, and my current very old Yulong D100 DAC/amp can, and that's what I need to replace.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #30 of 83
But to be clear, it cannot output simultaneously to headphone out and line out at the same time, right? That's the stickler for me.

DAC/amps like the Topping DX7 Pro+ can, and my current very old Yulong D100 DAC/amp can, and that's what I need to replace.
Unfortunately you are right. You can't output simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back