Aune S17 pro
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #1,066 of 2,360
While my S17 does not stay quite as cool as some, it generally is at 63-64° even after 3-4 hours of operation (I've seen 65° a couple of times, but never higher). However, I am concerned about the summer, since it appears that even a few degrees difference in ambient temperature can have a significant impact on the S17's internal temperature. However, I assume the problem can be fixed by a relatively inexpensive fan (making it merely annoying). I note that some people have placed or mounted fans underneath the unit, but that's probably not practical for me since my S17 is stacked about .9 inches above my DAC, leaving little to no room for a fan. However, if it's not a dumb question (I'm not a scientifically or technically skilled person) is there any reason not to place a fan on the top of the unit?

I experimented with different positions of the fan and measured the temperature curves, posted in
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aune-s17-pro.970060/post-17902319
Putting the fan on top or on the back at the vent holes is just not very efficient.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #1,067 of 2,360
While my S17 does not stay quite as cool as some, it generally is at 63-64° even after 3-4 hours of operation (I've seen 65° a couple of times, but never higher). However, I am concerned about the summer, since it appears that even a few degrees difference in ambient temperature can have a significant impact on the S17's internal temperature. However, I assume the problem can be fixed by a relatively inexpensive fan (making it merely annoying). I note that some people have placed or mounted fans underneath the unit, but that's probably not practical for me since my S17 is stacked about .9 inches above my DAC, leaving little to no room for a fan. However, if it's not a dumb question (I'm not a scientifically or technically skilled person) is there any reason not to place a fan on the top of the unit?
It would also work fine with fan(s) beside the s17, blowing through between your DAC and the s17. Thats also my setting till have the time to make a bottom plate. You could also include the fans in a "standing" Plate in order to place the fans beside the rack. The fans should be placed on the right side (where the volume knob is).

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #1,068 of 2,360
Best fans to use to cool down S17 Pro? Artic F9 Silent? Noctua PWM (which size?)? Other? I have two normal fans that do the trick but I can listen to them in silent parts of the music, even with headphones on (open backs, of course).
https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans

I use many of this company's fans with linear power supplies. Super quiet and working stable at lower voltages.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #1,069 of 2,360
Perfect!!
I agree with everything you said, it's a wonder we hobbyists/customers have to say something so obvious to the manufacturer, who remembers the first launch of Fiio the closed K9 pro, without ventilation openings that only came later in a chassis update?
Aune needs to wake up to this ventilation problem, they at the factory also have CNC tools. It wouldn't be that difficult to add openings to the chassis, you just need to want it.

1705098047325.png
https://resources.iso-templates.com/blog/iso-9001-clause-8.3-design-and-development-explained

Attachments

• 20240113_192508.jpg
    20240113_192508.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #1,072 of 2,360
Well, my review unit arrived. Initial impressions are positive, though I need to set things up as equally as possible. I agree that the chassis doesn't seem to be very ideal for the temps involved, though indeed, even a slow spinning fan will solve that.

Attachments

• IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #1,073 of 2,360
Well, my review unit arrived. Initial impressions are positive, though I need to set things up as equally as possible. I agree that the chassis doesn't seem to be very ideal for the temps involved, though indeed, even a slow spinning fan will solve that.
My s17 is running with A26 DAC. if I stack both units just like yours, S17 will hit the maximum temp (69c) within 40 mins right after powering on. Btw, I am very curious this R26 + S17 combination.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #1,074 of 2,360
The eagle has landed…curra could you please include (even if brief) how it compares to the Mjolnir 3, I’d imagine a big difference in sound signature, but i think alot of us are also interested in the difference in sound quality, thanks in advance curra

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,076 of 2,360
I think he removed it. You can see it in the frame you've posted.

oh, you are right. bad eye. sorry

I think he (youtube video) should have shown that head-sink before the strip down. Just like you, I missed that too until some members here with good observation pointed out that disassembled heat-sink sitting there in the video.

Oh! Have you notice that big heat-sink underneath the circuit board too?

I wonder if any thermal pads/compound were used between the heat-sinks.

* My future tinkering would be adding thermal pads to the bottom heat-sink (if it's not touching the chassis already) to facilitate heat transfer to the chassis for more cooling surface.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #1,077 of 2,360
The problem was wanting at all costs to maintain that typical design of their S series (which they have been using for many years now) for a device that would have at least needed ventilation grills on the top. Unusual is to build a pure class A amplifier inside a completely closed enclosure. Class A amplifiers operating at maximum voltage need at least multiple ventilation grills or adequate dissipation systems with noticeable external fins that release heat. I'm in Italy and it's cold now and maybe it could work but as soon as our very hot Italian summer arrives it will be possible to use it in 100mha mode for no more than 5 minutes maximum.

I thought that was the most objective, well observed, constructive criticism regarding heat that I have came across in this thread.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,079 of 2,360
With Arya Stealth 100 ma is much better. With Sennheiser HD800s depends on the content (I feel that the S17 Pro is sometimes too much of a good thing to the HD800s regarding stage size, even on 50 ma). With Focal Radiance I haven't noticed yet no difference whatsoever between 50ma and 100ma.

Users who are viewing this thread

• D1N0
Back