Aune S17 pro
Dec 11, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #617 of 2,360
My device's temperature never reached 69 degrees, but it stopped at 66-67 degrees.
To reduce it and improve the ventilation of the device, I used the legs ISO-PUCK mini from IsoAcoustics.
https://isoacoustics.com/pro-audio-isolation-products/iso-puck-series/

As a result, the rate of temperature increase decreased markedly and after an hour and a half of using the device, the temperature reached a level of 58 degrees, not 68 degrees, as before.

I installed the legs exactly at the location of the regular legs of the device, exactly on top of them.
The fastening turned out to be very reliable and of high quality.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #618 of 2,360
My device's temperature never reached 69 degrees, but it stopped at 66-67 degrees.
To reduce it and improve the ventilation of the device, I used the legs ISO-PUCK mini from IsoAcoustics.
https://isoacoustics.com/pro-audio-isolation-products/iso-puck-series/

As a result, the rate of temperature increase decreased markedly and after an hour and a half of using the device, the temperature reached a level of 58 degrees, not 68 degrees, as before.

I installed the legs exactly at the location of the regular legs of the device, exactly on top of them.
The fastening turned out to be very reliable and of high quality.
I also just bought the puck mini
It really looks and feels good!
The isoacoustic products give excellent vfm.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #619 of 2,360
I have no doubt that the IsoAcoustics feet are great products (I considered getting them) and will certainly do the trick of raising the S17 for ventilation (and look great while doing it) but they are primarily designed as isolating stands for speakers and as such are pretty expensive; a pack of eight ISO-Puck minis run $100 USD on Amazon. If you just want to lift the S17--and are poor like me--you might want to consider these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TZZZ4HS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details for $12. The six tallest feet are almost the same height as the IsoPuck mini (22.5mm vs. 24 mm). I stuck these on just inboard of the stock feet immediately after unboxing the S17. (I needed aftermarket feet in any event--I am stacking the S17 on the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 DAC and the S17 is about 3 inches wider, though the Denafrips is slightly deeper, and the stock feet do not quite fit in its footprint. I already had adhesive feet quite a bit taller than the stock feet, but after learning of the heat issue, I looked for even taller ones.) Thus far, the S17 has generally stayed at around 63-64° after several hours of use and has never exceeded 65°. (But it's winter now; I am a little concerned about the heat issue in summer when my apartment is significantly warmer even with AC.)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #620 of 2,360
I just want to say upgrading from a Schiit stack I got way back in 2017 to the Aune S17 Pro and a Denafrips Ares ii (firmware 1.8) every single source I put through this including a Sony mdr7506, Audeze lcd2, hd 6xx and even these Phase pc60s bookshelf speakers have feels so engaging and full of life. I don't know how to explain but before the upgrade the schiit stack would be fatiguing especially on my speakers but now the sonics and depth and the strings my god the strings just make music listening a beautiful treat.
Back to the Aune S17 Pro I am pretty lucky not to have a heat issue as it levels at 62 when propped a bit higher than its stock feet, the volume ladder could be seen as a friction to the experience but I am rarely going past 50 and the remote is such a treat when listening on my bed, I got a 15ft balanced cable on my 6xx and the comfort of laying down and having the soundstage become wider on the 6xx feels like a perfect pairing.
Currently using the pre outs to only power my subwoofer next to my bed and I have my headphones on at the same time, a great experience.
I think it's easy to get lost in specs and technicals faults of products but this combo amp&dac far exceeds my expectations

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #621 of 2,360
I just want to say upgrading from a Schiit stack I got way back in 2017 to the Aune S17 Pro and a Denafrips Ares ii (firmware 1.8) every single source I put through this including a Sony mdr7506, Audeze lcd2, hd 6xx and even these Phase pc60s bookshelf speakers have feels so engaging and full of life. I don't know how to explain but before the upgrade the schiit stack would be fatiguing especially on my speakers but now the sonics and depth and the strings my god the strings just make music listening a beautiful treat.
Back to the Aune S17 Pro I am pretty lucky not to have a heat issue as it levels at 62 when propped a bit higher than its stock feet, the volume ladder could be seen as a friction to the experience but I am rarely going past 50 and the remote is such a treat when listening on my bed, I got a 15ft balanced cable on my 6xx and the comfort of laying down and having the soundstage become wider on the 6xx feels like a perfect pairing.
Currently using the pre outs to only power my subwoofer next to my bed and I have my headphones on at the same time, a great experience.
I think it's easy to get lost in specs and technicals faults of products but this combo amp&dac far exceeds my expectations
It will be VERY interesting to see how you make out in June/July in Florida. If people are complaining about the temps reached in November in Canada/Northern US, what is going to happen when the heat comes?

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #622 of 2,360
I'm thinking about buying the S17 or C9s but I certainly wouldn't see any problem in making small openings in its structure for better ventilation, it could come from the factory and it would give the amp a prettier look depending on the design of the openings of course, but no It's nothing complicated to do, it depends on each person's personal taste, I don't care, I don't mind making small openings on devices that don't have them, I've always sold them normally afterwards and have been praised for the good work, all the person has to do is not be extremely boring and everything goes well. :beerchug:

1702311177510.png

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #624 of 2,360
Thanks for the photos and recommendation. I am going to try the slim version of the i300 and will see how it goes. It's available domestically on Amazon in my area.

Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NBC-XSLI-GP),Black X-Slim https://a.co/d/5wVNyIi
I tested out the Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim and would not recommend it for the purposes of cooling this amp. The fan is too loud and there is no speed control, so it's being returned.

I purchased the Notepad I300 cooler with a speed control dial (leedong's recommendation) from eBay, but the seller is in Israel. Thankfully I received a FedEx tracking number a few days after my purchase and it's currently in transit, so the seller is legit. I couldn't find this being sold in the US as it's now a discontinued product.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #625 of 2,360
Well, just got delivery of S17 Pro and plugged in and tested with tone generator to see... and there is audible click when changing volume every other tick in the range I tested (well, I could hear click on HE1000SE with low gain 100mA setting down to 20... up to about 60... I didn't want to go deaf...)
So I am guessing they did reprogram the behavior of it. Time to let it get warmed up and run some music through for a while... right now on Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and it sounds quite enjoyable already. Will report back on further impression later. Also sounds like Aune is taking care of customers which is definitely plus on the situation. Do have MJ3 on order so I shall see if that is actually better with my setup and my ability to discern the sound. So far, good investment and I am not disappointed. We shall see on temp issue as well.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #626 of 2,360
Well, just got delivery of S17 Pro and plugged in and tested with tone generator to see... and there is audible click when changing volume every other tick in the range I tested (well, I could hear click on HE1000SE with low gain 100mA setting down to 20... up to about 60... I didn't want to go deaf...)
So I am guessing they did reprogram the behavior of it. Time to let it get warmed up and run some music through for a while... right now on Denafrips Ares 12th-1 and it sounds quite enjoyable already. Will report back on further impression later. Also sounds like Aune is taking care of customers which is definitely plus on the situation. Do have MJ3 on order so I shall see if that is actually better with my setup and my ability to discern the sound. So far, good investment and I am not disappointed. We shall see on temp issue as well.
I am also on the fence about keeping the S17 or ordering the MJ3…your impressions/comparisons will mean a whole lot, happy listening!

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #627 of 2,360
In general, most Chinese manufactures add some, often large amounts of negative feedback into the circuit to get better measurement numbers at the expense of sound quality. Supposedly it causes, among other things, phase shifts, though I'd like to see a greater variety of measurements of amplifiers to verify this.

If this amp has better sound quality than its competitors at the same price point, GOOD! But, I doubt that they concerned, as there are still a great many people who are sold on the measurements etc. Like I said, I think it's good that they are making a fully discrete amplifier with a proper power supply.
This is a bit very general from someone who never has an S17 Pro in his hands.
For me sounds same like: "Most People are eating burger so they are ... , If these Guy dont eat burger, GOOD, but I doubt as there are still so many Fast Food Resteraunts ..."

Sorry but THE S17 IS JUST SUCH A GREAT AMP give them and the brand a chance and dont ruin

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #628 of 2,360
This is a bit very general from someone who never has an S17 Pro in his hands.
For me sounds same like: "Most People are eating burger so they are ... , If these Guy dont eat burger, GOOD, but I doubt as there are still so many Fast Food Resteraunts ..."

Sorry but THE S17 IS JUST SUCH A GREAT AMP give them and the brand a chance and dont ruin
...your post by accidentally hitting "send"? 🤪🤪🤪

Next year I'll see about getting one in for review then.

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #629 of 2,360
I look forward to the review, Amos, since you are one of my favorite reviewers. FWIW, I've had the S17 for almost a month and it's the most significant upgrade I've made in the last few years. (And it replaced a fine amp, the Dr. Cavalli designed Liquid Platinum.) I'll be honest, I thought your video a couple of months ago on the design of the SMSL VMV P2 without hearing it (a fact that you were very upfront about) was hilarious, but was less thrilled about your criticism (though much less scathing) of the unheard S17. (Although I've had a couple of products from SMSL and Topping that were perfectly fine, and am still using the Topping D90 MQA (OG AKM 4499 version) in my TV/Blu-ray setup, Amir's relentless huckstering for those brands have left a bad taste in my mouth.)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #630 of 2,360
...your post by accidentally hitting "send"? 🤪🤪🤪

... perhaps I didn't want to simply continue criticising you.

Sorry but THE S17 IS JUST SUCH A GREAT AMP give them and the brand a chance and don't destroy the reputation of an excellent product if you don't know anything about it yet. As a reviewer and former member you should no better.

I like the quote you use:
“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.” — George Bernard Shaw

Yes also looking forward as I like your detailed reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back