AudioValve LUMINARE & VERTO : for Stax headphones and for all dynamic headphones
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #121 of 352
No. You guys are just stupid, really. The Verto was moar bettar, but the Luminare is moar even bettar! ( I only just received an extra 64% off my order)

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #122 of 352
  This continuing from eric65 regarding "RKV-II Amp and VERTO box" appears to be getting quite ridiculous.
Do others believe that the 'system' is being abused & this is virtual 'advertising' & has aspects off 'spamming' & 'trolling'?

John H

I think the title is clear about it being an RKV-II / Audio Valve VERTO box thread.  People can just stay away if they don't want to know about these.  Those who are interested can sort out facts vs opinions vs hype for themselves the same way they do on on threads.  Granted, it is not always easy . . . 

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #123 of 352

I think the title is clear about it being an RKV-II / Audio Valve VERTO box thread.  People can just stay away if they don't want to know about these.  Those who are interested can sort out facts vs opinions vs hype for themselves the same way they do on on threads.  Granted, it is not always easy . . . 

Yes, that is indeed a very fair comment!

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #124 of 352
Quote:jhai
  This continuing from eric65 regarding "RKV-II Amp and VERTO box" appears to be getting quite ridiculous.
Do others believe that the 'system' is being abused & this is virtual 'advertising' & has aspects off 'spamming' & 'trolling'?

John H

It's eric's thread, so he can troll as much as he likes in it.

I use it for it's fun factor.

I also am waiting for him to get a hold of a BHSE, KGSSHV, KGST or DIYT2 so that he can put his obsession for thr RKV:Verto:Luminaire to bed and become the head of the Stax mafiosi in the EU.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #125 of 352
It looks like nobody is falling for all the Virgo hyping.

Isn't that French forum run by a guy who sells all this stuff?
rolleyes.gif
pierre_papaya or something I think.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #126 of 352
And the Virgo is pretty much obsolete already because the Luminare is not self bias.

self bias is a very bad idea for modern headphones. May have worked ok for
esp6 and esp9, but that was 40 years ago.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #127 of 352

Isn't that French forum run by a guy who sells all this stuff?
rolleyes.gif
pierre_papaya or something I think.

The forum isn't run by Paya per se, but he has his own threads. Talk about conflict of interests...

It's been a while since I've been there though, but the last debate I've read was the audiophile equivalent of "Jews Vs. Muslims, Who's right ? When a Catholic steps in..."

tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #131 of 352
  Kelvin Gilmore is right, it is likely that the Luminare (announced in the EU in November 2014) is even higher quality than the combo RKV-II + Verto (for various reasons discussed on the French forum). I hope the order before Christmas; I will keep the best of both amps.

That isn't what "Kelvin Gilmore" said - he doesn't think either is high quality, just that one by might be less crappy than the other. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #132 of 352

That isn't what "Kelvin Gilmore" said - he doesn't think either is high quality, just that one by might be less crappy than the other. 

Ok, with the Stax SR-009 : AudioValve Luminare amp (a priori) "less crappy" than combo AudioValve RKV-II + Verto, itself "less crappy" than Stax SRM-727 amp (with an  level of listening average at low), itself equal combo RKV-II + WEE, itself equal Eddie Current Electra amp (not significant difference), itself "less crappy" than Stax SRM-007t2 amp (significant difference) (see our tests : http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/3465#post_10998969).

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #133 of 352

Ok, with the Stax SR-009 : AudioValve Luminare amp (a priori) "less crappy" than combo AudioValve RKV-II + Verto, itself "less crappy" than Stax SRM-727 amp (with an  level of listening average at low), itself equal combo RKV-II + WEE, itself equal Eddie Current Electra amp (not significant difference), itself "less crappy" than Stax SRM-007t2 amp (significant difference) (see our tests : http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/3465#post_10998969).

You are missing the point - you were misquoting someone for an improper purpose. I was not looking for a reply as to how you or you colleagues might have preferred one particular sound over another.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #134 of 352
The verto has the chicken and egg syndrome.

You can't have bias till you have the music, and the music into headphones without
the bias is a very bad idea. And playing music with the headphones disconnected
and then turning off the music to plug in the headphones is filled with mistakes.
(takes several minutes to build up the bias with reasonable listening levels)

So the luminare does not have this major defect. But it still has all the other issues
of a high impedance (at any reasonable level where the 90db of feedback of the opamp craps out)
amp driving poorly made transformers (not bifilar wound) resulting in frequency and phase response
issues. etc.

And now the price of 2700 euros, soon to be 2900 euros is getting into the price range where
a lot of better product can be had for less money. So there goes the cheap issue. And if you build
it yourself, half that much.

might as well take the rkv2 circuit, replace the output tubes with 6ca7 and do it right without
any transformers. Oops, then there are the output caps. etc.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #135 of 352
Kelvin sounds too hot or too cool depending on the degrees of your bias.  Kevin (sans the L) is the correct spelling. Kelvin if you will.

It seems our Gallic friend has an unfavorable bias toward European gear in preference to US or Jap iron.

Perhaps a Germanic Transistoramp V3 or V4 would set him on the path to Stax DIY audiophilia.

But, perhaps, that's a Cavalli of a different color..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back