AudioValve LUMINARE & VERTO : for Stax headphones and for all dynamic headphones
Sep 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #46 of 352
  Does sound (no pun intended) interesting this RKV and energiser combo. Thing is, the RKV is about the same money as the BHSE isn't it?

Unless you are using it as a speaker amp as well, seems odd to go that route IMO. I would love to read a none bias review from someone who has both the RKV+Vertigo and a KGSShv or BHSE to compare.

Maybe the RKV is quite warm sounding, being a tube amp, and maybe that helps the Stax sound a bit? I am a great believer in having some tubes in the chain if using digital, either at the start in the DAC, are at the end like the BHSE. It brings things back to realism and calms the digital energy (treble edge/coldness) a bit to me.

All that has to know about the box Verto and combo AudioValve RKV-Verto is clearly explained on the thirteen pages and now 182 interventions (and 7250 consultations) of the thread Verto on HCFR http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/verto-le-boitier-audiovalve-pour-casques-stax-t30052030.html

Sorry, I do not have courrage to translate you everything or summarize everything there was to read on these thirteen pages and 182 interventions of this thread (use your favorite translator).

Otherwise, the price of the combo RKV II - Verto in France (with the French tax of 20%) is 3,000 Euros (this is much cheaper than BHSE), and it is better than Stax SRM 727 costing in France also 3,000 Euros (tax included) or an SRM 007t2 costing 3500 Euros (tax included).
Otherwise, not sure that Electra amp do much better if we are to believe another comparison (blind test) realized one year ago : RKV-Wee vs Electra vs SRM 727 vs SRM 007t2 http://www.head-fi.org/t/681814/amplifiers-shootout-for-stax-009-eddie-current-electra-audiovalve-rkv-wooaudio-wee-stax-srm727-srm007t2

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #47 of 352
A BHSE is 3800 euros today. Add 200 euros for shipping/ insurance and you can probably arrange to avoid to big a tax hit upon import. Not exactly much more expensive than the 3800 euros rkv-verto combo...

Doesn't drive regular phones indeed but it's not like we are missing choices for good regular phone amps in the 100-1500USD range, the world of boutique headphone amps has certainly evolved since the 30 years old rkv design.

For instance, I'd look into a schiit ragnarok today if I was after a universal amp and use a tranformer with that if stats were to take a backseat in my rig. 1/3 the price of the rkv, much nicer design, way more universal (iem to regular loudspeakers) and apparently it doesn't sound half bad.

Arnaud

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #48 of 352
The mk3 RKV amp is at 3300 Euros (excluding taxes); mk2 RKV amp is at 1900 Euros (excluding taxes); the Verto box is at 580 Euros (excluding taxes). 
Do your maths (NB: VAT in Europe about 20%).

The mk3 RKV is one of the best amplifiers to operate with enough power with the JPS Abyss headphone. Quality sound as equal a Hi-fi system very High-end at 100,000 Euros (ask PeterBob on HCFR forum). 

The same RKV mk3 (or mk2) amp with the box Verto and the Stax SR-009 headphone delivers results of the highest quality level that is (for the sound) in terms of beauty, sweetness, refined timbres, and natural. 

Really very good for listening to music without asking questions.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 352
Yeah, HCFR is pretty much its own little bubble as far as users opinion jive. Somehow, it's 90% in line with what the main headphone dealer present on the site (Pierre Paya, also active here but not declared as mot) sells at the time. Currently, big push on rkv and abyss.

Suffice to say, opinions like "The mk3 RKV is one of the best amplifiers to operate with enough power with the JPS Abyss headphone. Quality sound as equal a Hi-fi system very High-end at 100,000 Euros (ask PeterBob on HCFR forum). " are to be taken with a big pinch if salt when one realizes the OP did not listen to headphones 1 year ago and all he's seen from headphone amps world is whatever Pierre showcases or the local dealers. The OP's reference speaker rig? Martin Logan's for Pete's sake! How can one be taken seriously after that lol :).

Arnaud

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #50 of 352
  The mk3 RKV amp is at 3300 Euros (excluding taxes); mk2 RKV amp is at 1900 Euros (excluding taxes); the Verto box is at 580 Euros (excluding taxes). 
Do your maths (NB: VAT in Europe about 20%).

The mk3 RKV is one of the best amplifiers to operate with enough power with the JPS Abyss headphone. Quality sound as equal a Hi-fi system very High-end at 100,000 Euros (ask PeterBob on HCFR forum). 

The same RKV mk3 (or mk2) amp with the box Verto and the Stax SR-009 headphone delivers results of the highest quality level that is (for the sound) in terms of beauty, sweetness, refined timbres, and natural. 

Really very good for listening to music without asking questions.

I had the RKV MK2 for a long while and it was good sounding indeed.  However, there are many better sounding dynamics amplifiers today...and if you look around, they should drive the Abyss equally well if not better.  When you have the chance, you should really compare your beloved RKV+Verto with something much better than the stock SRM-727II & 007II.  May I suggest a 450V Sanyo KGSSHV at 2300 Euros?  The KGSSHV is leap and bound better than any stax amps out there short of the original SRM-T2.  I personally have the stock SRM-727II and it is very disappointed sounding to say the least, hence, I'm not surprise that your may like your beloved RKV+Verto better.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #52 of 352
A BHSE is 3800 euros today. Add 200 euros for shipping/ insurance and you can probably arrange to avoid to big a tax hit upon import. Not exactly much more expensive than the 3800 euros rkv-verto combo...

Bad currency conversion Arnaud (price BHSE $ 5,600)
prices BHSE Euro 4300 Euro without Alps RK 50 with Alps RK 50  5000 euro without tax Customs.

Purk there is Eddie Current Electra with XF2 Mullard tube that works remarkably well and has nothing to envy to KGSSHV or BHSE.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #54 of 352
Bad currency conversion Arnaud (price BHSE $ 5,600)

prices BHSE Euro 4300 Euro without Alps RK 50 with Alps RK 50  5000 euro without tax Customs.

My bad Fred, was below 5kUSD when I ordered (10 years back, lol :) )...

You understand my point though: it's not about penny counting (else wouldn't be buying fancy headphones at all would we?), but more that the rkv combo is not the screaming value Eric is pretending it to be.

Agree with you on the Electra sounding great with the right tubes (coming from a stock 727). Could not tell you about a BHSE and kgsshv, am even surprised you can actually comment so firmly since you never listened to the 3 amps at the same time , and especially not in your own source Afaik?

Arnaud

Ps: so many frogs in this thread, only missing phil95 / sorrodje / Pierre :wink:

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #55 of 352
ph34r.gif

Ali

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #56 of 352
Thought I saw you earlier in this thread Ali, sorry for the omission :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #58 of 352
Err, ERIC
3,800 for RKV+Verto and 4,300 BHSE. Seems pretty close to me?
The Alps pot isn't on the RKV so not worth mentioning.

And the BHSE is designed specifically for Stats, not some bolt on transformer after thought.

Speakers and Phones - master of one IMO.

We need a full review on here of the 009s driven by the RKV-Verto v BHSE, then lets see what happens.

The more devices and boxes and cables, the more the music gets messed with......

AND, ARE YOU NOT BATTING A BIT TOO LOUDLY FOR THIS AMP, MAYBE YOU GOT A 50% DISCOUNT?
I am hoping you are genuinely in love with the RKV. It that is the case, get to hear other none Stax amps, then
come back 'enlightended'

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #59 of 352
  Err, ERIC
3,800 for RKV+Verto and 4,300 BHSE. Seems pretty close to me?
The Alps pot isn't on the RKV so not worth mentioning.

And the BHSE is designed specifically for Stats, not some bolt on transformer after thought.

Speakers and Phones - master of one IMO.

We need a full review on here of the 009s driven by the RKV-Verto v BHSE, then lets see what happens.

The more devices and boxes and cables, the more the music gets messed with......

AND, ARE YOU NOT BATTING A BIT TOO LOUDLY FOR THIS AMP, MAYBE YOU GOT A 50% DISCOUNT?
I am hoping you are genuinely in love with the RKV. It that is the case, get to hear other none Stax amps, then
come back 'enlightended'

I have a mk2 RKV amp (purchased in 1,850 Euros (including 20 % tax) as an equipment of demonstration (ie not new) and a box Verto bought new  650 Euros (including 20 % tax and a discount of 50 Euros) (box Verto transformed into Verto 2 after removal 2 resistors). The cost of my combo RKV-Verto finally is "only" 2,500 Euros (tax included) (and not 3,800 Euros) (is that clear?). 

This same RKV mk2 amp  combined with the Wee box was confronted, one year ago  with three other amplifiers : Electra, SRM 727 and SRM-007t2 in a blind procedure (see top of page for link). 
It's the same amplifier, always  RKV mk2, this time coupled to the box Verto then after Verto2, which has demonstrated its superiority in comparative listening made ​​by Pierre Paya on the amps Stax SRM 727 and 007t2, and also the combo RKV mk2-Wee (which has been tested one year ago in blind procedure). (is that clear as well?). 

Finally, to date, there has not been a direct confrontation of the combo RKV mk2 - Verto2 Vs BHSE.
This confrontation will be interesting to do, like the comparison of  RKV mk2 - Verto2 Vs Electra and the Electra Vs BHSE. 
We are looking for volunteers (foolhardy) for such confrontations of high-end amplifiers (with 009). 
My gut tells me that there may be some surprises (just as there is 1 year old ...) 

Eric

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #60 of 352
Hmm, beating the 007t and 727 is like not much to speak of IMO. Did it beat the Eddie Current? Or was it a different
flavour but both were the same SQ level?

The source, and the type of music in the tests has to be realistic as well. Stay away from chamber music and unplugged
only, get plenty of full range dynamic type of music in as well. And the demo needs to be a few hours intensive, not 5 minutes
at a desk in a show.... those 'tests' throw up all sorts of stories that later become 'fact'.....

I paid £1.7k (€2K), for my new built KGSShv off-board, which to my ears is very close to the BHSE with PS-Vanes.
Same level of SQ, different flavours. I could live very happily with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back