AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #7,096 of 10,196
I hear the creator of the headphones used to (maybe he still does) pair his NH with the Mojo and has stated they've had great synergy

I know that Skylar did say once that he liked the NH straight out of his iPhone.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #7,097 of 10,196
I'm debating getting a Chord Mojo, but wonder how it would sound with the NH. Has anyone heard that combo? I am going to search this thread and see if I can find any comments on that.

Mojo + NH is my main combo I use. Unbeatable quality for the price. Time to time I try another DAC or other headphones, but I always come back to Mojo + NH. No better sound out there for £700.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #7,098 of 10,196
I am thinking about buying a set of Nighthawks but hoping to get opinions from some more experienced users. I currently own Denon D600’s and AKG K271 MK2 so hope that someone can compare the sound to these if possible. Or possibly Nighthawk vs Fostex th-xoo Purple Hearts. Thanks

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #7,099 of 10,196
I am thinking about buying a set of Nighthawks but hoping to get opinions from some more experienced users. I currently own Denon D600’s and AKG K271 MK2 so hope that someone can compare the sound to these if possible. Or possibly Nighthawk vs Fostex th-xoo Purple Hearts. Thanks

Nighthawks are unique, not everyone's cup of tea. The brain definitely needs some time to adjust to its sound, but if you like the sound signature it can really grow on you. Natural, organic sound with good bass and very nice detail retrieval and resolution for the price. Smooth treble, slightly warm and dark sound. It is really a steal for £300.
NHs are 2 classes higher than the AKG 271 and for me they are much better than the THX00s. (Haven't heard the D600s.) THX00s have slightly better, deeper and stronger bass, but the NH is really not far behind. In everything else NH wins imo. X00 can sound a bit cramped, everything is in your face. NH sounds much more natural and relaxed with better and more natural imaging, bigger soundstage. Mids are far more natural and lifelike. I sold my X00 when I bought my NH mostly because of the harsh treble on the Fostex. NH is smooth and natural. I really like them for more than a year now. (And they really improve with better source.)

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #7,100 of 10,196
Interesting comments here regarding the NH and Mojo combo. Sounds like some people are really enjoying it. I am planning to pick up a Mojo here probably in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it will sound somewhat close in performance to the 600i, cause this thing sounds good, aside from the issue I appear to be having with occasional ticks and pops during playback. I can tell that the NH really use take advantage of the power.

I have been going back and forth here between the Elear and the NH using my dad's Questyle 600i, and they are just completely different headphones. Most people would call the Elear "warm", and in a way they are warm, but they don't really flesh out the midrange how I like. It seems I spend more time being impressed with the sound than I do enjoying the music. Switching back to the NH, there is an immediate feeling of "oh wow there is less detail", but the sound is much more intimate and personal. Things sound closer. The midrange is much more dense and harmonic.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #7,101 of 10,196
I posted in this thread months ago when I bought my NHs but never checked back.

I am pretty happy with them, but find the cables too short. What are the best replacement cables for this please? If anyone has a direct link I'd be grateful.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #7,102 of 10,196
Interesting comments here regarding the NH and Mojo combo. Sounds like some people are really enjoying it. I am planning to pick up a Mojo here probably in the next few weeks. I'm hoping it will sound somewhat close in performance to the 600i, cause this thing sounds good, aside from the issue I appear to be having with occasional ticks and pops during playback. I can tell that the NH really use take advantage of the power.

I have been going back and forth here between the Elear and the NH using my dad's Questyle 600i, and they are just completely different headphones. Most people would call the Elear "warm", and in a way they are warm, but they don't really flesh out the midrange how I like. It seems I spend more time being impressed with the sound than I do enjoying the music. Switching back to the NH, there is an immediate feeling of "oh wow there is less detail", but the sound is much more intimate and personal. Things sound closer. The midrange is much more dense and harmonic.

I could post the exact same observation between the Ether Flow and the NH. Exact same findings.

Right now I'm using Yggy>V281 as a pre-amp> Woo WA22 > NH.
I've never tried the V281 as a pre-amp before. I don't why.

This is the best I've heard the NH. It could be the best sound I've heard. I'm not sure but it will be close.
NH is sounding incredibly warm and holographic with very little detail loss. Yggy is keeping treble in check.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #7,104 of 10,196
I posted in this thread months ago when I bought my NHs but never checked back.

I am pretty happy with them, but find the cables too short. What are the best replacement cables for this please? If anyone has a direct link I'd be grateful.
I don't think there is a best replacement cable. However, if you would give your budget and your location I am sure you would receive some recommendations.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7,106 of 10,196
I live in the UK. I paid £500 for the NHs, so £250 I guess? I have no idea what replacement cables cost. I'd like 2M length though, 1M is far too short and I keep yanking my Metrum Acoustics Aurix when moving about in my recliner.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #7,107 of 10,196
I live in the UK. I paid £500 for the NHs, so £250 I guess? I have no idea what replacement cables cost. I'd like 2M length though, 1M is far too short and I keep yanking my Metrum Acoustics Aurix when moving about in my recliner.
This is why I asked, as I am only familiar with US makers. I am sure someone else will be able to help. I can suggest maybe looking on ebay to get a feel for what's out there.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #7,108 of 10,196
What do you recommend in the US? A lot of companies will ship to the UK.

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #7,110 of 10,196
Thank you for that but I’ve already been to their site. The suede are out of stock. They seem to be out of stock everywhere...

I haven't tried these yet, still using the vinyl. How do they alter the presentation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back