AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #4,070 of 10,196
  Can these be compared to the V moda M100s at all? I ask because those are the only headphones I have at the moment.

Well yeah, but not with a straight face:)

I have both

Seriously though Nighthawk has a lot more resolution, better separation between instruments, wayyyyyy better soundstage but less bass. The Nighthawk is also much more comfortable. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,072 of 10,196

Is the quality of bass better on the nighthawk as well?

Much cleaner and more well defined, better I think is subjective depending on what you like. The M100 has more bass and you may like that more, but the Nighthawk is definitely not light on bass.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #4,073 of 10,196
I thought the same but then got engulfed by the hype surrounding the Focal Utiopia, the Ether Flow, and the AKG K872. The Nighthawk is still my favourite headphone, but now my wallet is empty.

Stay away from Head Fi!

My friend was disappointed with the Utopia for the price. She has a Z1R coming in, hopefully that will be a nice upgrade from the Hawks. Honestly the Sony seems to be the only thing that may likely be an upgrade of the Hawks out. Head-fi is dangerous with buying things that can be disappointments. I try to listen to the expensive headphones before buying unless I know what I'm getting. It's interesting how cheap the Hawks wood have become, being $350 makes them essentially the best deal out there.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,074 of 10,196

Can these be compared to the V moda M100s at all? I ask because those are the only headphones I have at the moment.

See @inthere's response - the Nighthawks are in a different league and are fantastic. Having said that, I really like the m100's and enjoy them when I need a lot of isolation like at the gym (their isolation and bass really helps drown out the ambient noise).

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #4,075 of 10,196
  My friend was disappointed with the Utopia for the price. She has a Z1R coming in, hopefully that will be a nice upgrade from the Hawks. Honestly the Sony seems to be the only thing that may likely be an upgrade of the Hawks out. Head-fi is dangerous with buying things that can be disappointments. I try to listen to the expensive headphones before buying unless I know what I'm getting. It's interesting how cheap the Hawks wood have become, being $350 makes them essentially the best deal out there.

All TOTL headphones are disappointing "for the price." They're products you buy when money literally doesn't matter. If there is any portion of you that thinks "man these are pretty expensive..." then no matter how good they are, you're going to be disappointed because they aren't going to be able to overcome the looming shadow of how expensive they were. Flagship products are for people with money to burn. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,076 of 10,196
I was thinking about buying some of these. I see they are on amazon right now for $348.

Are they worth this? I also don't really want to buy an amp/dac again which I've bought and sold before.

Are they good enough out of an iphone 6s plus?

Thanks

That's a steal for these. Buy with confidence. And yes, they're pretty easy to drive to normal listening levels, although sound quality might be better with a dedicated DAP or desktop amp. Depends on what you're used to and how hardcore you are :p

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,077 of 10,196
  All TOTL headphones are disappointing "for the price." They're products you buy when money literally doesn't matter. If there is any portion of you that thinks "man these are pretty expensive..." then no matter how good they are, you're going to be disappointed because they aren't going to be able to overcome the looming shadow of how expensive they were. Flagship products are for people with money to burn. 

True, I wouldn't honestly ever buy a flagship at full price. Even if the new Sony's are one of the best ever, I will still wait when they drop in price a good deal before getting them. Only a few flagships have stunned me with their sound quality but the price is still intimidating without a doubt. Then you get the insanely expensive ones such as the HE-1 and Sangri-La which honestly hurt the market. All of these $1000-4000 headphones are really hurting the market as well and allowing price-gouging when only some in that price range have performance that is truly world class.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,079 of 10,196
Well, subbass wise these things are pretty killer. Goes all the way down with authority and texture, very rare feat in the dynamic world. Some people talk about the bass being wooly or loose, I am not hearing any of that balanced out of my Jot. Tight bass, textured and stays were it is supposed to.

Leaking....not so great. Tested these at home and they are no substitute for a closed can. Unfortunate as the Nightowl is going to be so expensive. This is definitely the sound signature I want in a headphone, though. All these years trying to figure out how to deal with bright and grainy headphones (even the 650 I find shouty at times) and AQ had the solution!

More to come.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #4,080 of 10,196

Yes, thank god now we have the NightHawk @ $350 and the HD6XX @ $200.

That is true. It is good we have reasonably priced headphones we can fall too that bring some sanity to the crazy prices lately. I honestly blame the HD 800 for starting all the $1000+ headphone stuff becoming mainstream when it used to be only special statement headphones, many of which had outstanding performance. There is so much hype around the new flagships it's hard to tell what's truly good or not anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back