AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #361 of 2,514
Quote:
YES, you can use Windows Media Player with DF.

after you insert the DF to your computer, and it's already installed (you said yourself you can use it with other software).
start WMP
go to TOOLS (if you can't find it, then right click on the upper border (next to the arrows), then check the "show menu bar"
now click: OPTIONS
DEVICES
double click on SPEAKERS
and on the "sound playback" choose the DragonFly.

that's all.

Hmmm.... I didn't have to do this to play WMP through the Fiio E17, but I'll try this when I get home today, thanks.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #362 of 2,514
No, you didn't. that is because the O/S selected the E17 as Default.

But after the system "knows" a specific device, and then you move it => then it reverts back to the previous device (if avail.).
so Now you have to choose the DF... one-time only procedure, as you now understand.

-Eyal

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #363 of 2,514
This definitely looks promising, but I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

1. If I want to use a USB adapter (like the right angle adapters to not have it stick out), then the sound won't get degraded or anything right? I'll still be able to control it the same?
2. How is it with IEMs? From people in the thread, it seems like they're better with portable headphones (like the V-Modas). I'm asking because I'd be using it with IEMs; my MacBook Pro's hissing is bothering me and that's mainly what I want to remove. Better soundstage and dynamics is a plus of course.
3. $250 is pretty steep for me. This wouldn't be overkill for the UE TF10 and HD25 would it? Potentially upgrading to the UM3X in the future and might run the HD600 out of it ocassionally too, but not often.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #364 of 2,514
Quote:
This definitely looks promising, but I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

2. How is it with IEMs? From people in the thread, it seems like they're better with portable headphones (like the V-Modas). I'm asking because I'd be using it with IEMs; my MacBook Pro's hissing is bothering me and that's mainly what I want to remove. Better soundstage and dynamics is a plus of course.
3. $250 is pretty steep for me. This wouldn't be overkill for the UE TF10 and HD25 would it? Potentially upgrading to the UM3X in the future and might run the HD600 out of it ocassionally too, but not often.

Thanks!

With my 16 ohm EPH-100s I detect no hiss whatsover - same with my other iems/cans.  I'm about 40 hours in and still feel it's a bit too warm for those, but have since gotten a GR07 MkII and JVC S500 and like the DF quite a bit with those, definitely an improvement over my wonderful MBA's headphone out.  Still prefer my ODAC/O2 combo as being a bit more controlled/dynamic but it's a fairly non-portable outboard unit that requires a power adaptor and is another $50 more.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #365 of 2,514
usb adapters don't degrade SQ

i have a Vsonic GR06 IEM. at 10% volume is normally like 25% with normal full size headphones. black backrgound, and no hiss.

not an overkill, for it is a great DAC. and the amp. is strong enough to drive most dynamic HPs (not planar...)

-Eyal

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #366 of 2,514
Quote:
usb adapters don't degrade SQ

i have a Vsonic GR06 IEM. at 10% volume is normally like 25% with normal full size headphones. black backrgound, and no hiss.

not an overkill, for it is a great DAC. and the amp. is strong enough to drive most dynamic HPs (not planar...)

-Eyal

Quote:

With my 16 ohm EPH-100s I detect no hiss whatsover - same with my other iems/cans.  I'm about 40 hours in and still feel it's a bit too warm for those, but have since gotten a GR07 MkII and JVC S500 and like the DF quite a bit with those, definitely an improvement over my wonderful MBA's headphone out.  Still prefer my ODAC/O2 combo as being a bit more controlled/dynamic but it's a fairly non-portable outboard unit that requires a power adaptor and is another $50 more.

Thanks for the help! Didn't think the adapter would kill the SQ, so that's good. I was thinking it was overkill to use a DAC/amp that's the cost of my IEMs, but it would help the sound quality. Glad to hear that it's close to the ODAC/O2 combo, which is highly regarded. I'm guessing it won't be quite as good as my Asgard, but it might be about equal for IEMs. Pretty excited about this lil device.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #367 of 2,514
Quote:

1. If I want to use a USB adapter (like the right angle adapters to not have it stick out), then the sound won't get degraded or anything right? I'll still be able to control it the same?

Thanks!

I am using it now with my HD25's and my MB Pro and it is great. It also works beautifully with my HD650's at home. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #368 of 2,514
For me it works fine on the road with JH13 or MC3 and in the office with my powered Adam A3X monitor speakers

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #369 of 2,514
Quote:
No, you didn't. that is because the O/S selected the E17 as Default.

But after the system "knows" a specific device, and then you move it => then it reverts back to the previous device (if avail.).
so Now you have to choose the DF... one-time only procedure, as you now understand.

-Eyal

Yep, you are correct.  On another note, using the dragonfly with lossless material allowed me to hear for myself an actual difference between a custom silver cable, and the stock cable with the Shure SRH940.  As the ultimate after-market cable skeptic, this was NOT what I expected.  More about that here for anyone interested.

Bob

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #370 of 2,514
Yep, you are correct.  On another note, using the dragonfly with lossless material allowed me to hear for myself an actual difference between a custom silver cable, and the stock cable with the Shure SRH940.  As the ultimate after-market cable skeptic, this was NOT what I expected.  More about that here for anyone interested.

Bob

Welcome to the custom cable club, Bob! May your wallet forgive you...:D

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #371 of 2,514
Just curious, is there a right angle adapter that lets the Dragonfly sit flush onto the adapter. I saw that HifiGuy found an adapter that makes this happen, if the cord is short enough, I'd definitely be interested in that. Anyone know where he got that?

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #372 of 2,514
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C0QWEK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

This was what I bought after I saw Chefano picture :D

Ive already ordered an USB adapter. Gonna take some time to get it =(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90d-USB-3-0-male-Female-vertical-right-Angled-Adapter-/140567116334?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D673535308057380895%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

This is why I really love the DF....

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #373 of 2,514
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #375 of 2,514
Quote:
you have to wait for Chefano to reply :[ my Dragon fly is arriving today and the adapter is arriving soon after that.

Hmm well let me know when you get it then (if Chefano doesn't respond). Pretty concerned about the stability of the unit (especially at $250).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back