AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #331 of 2,514
Quote:
Chefano,

Thanks for looking at this again! But your numbers and methods are still not correct. While you can with an oscillator and a DVM come up with a specific impedance at a given frequency, this is not the way to do it. Also that is not the way to do it with a Tube Amplifier either.

But really why??? Everyone knows that headphones and speakers vary with frequency. Impedance is just one variable and really with feedback it can be really low and actually not as controlled or good as one without feedback. There are too many variables to pick out one for something that is so personal like headphones are.

Try it... yea and not like others for 10 minutes and send it back. Really try it and let it break in easily don't force it.

Ok as I stated before the output Z of the DragonFly is 0.8 ohms max. John Atkinson tested it with the Audio Precision and got 0.65 ohms. I use the Prism dScope III, these will test using FFT and therefore get a broadband spectrum of the overall impedance.

Again though that is only one variable.... I think we all know we listen with a lot more than that.

Thanks
Gordon

Hey Gordon,
Thanks for chime here. I really love mine DF, and I as said before IMHO you cant go wrong with it.

Thanks again

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #332 of 2,514
x2.. Love it with my HD700 and HE400 out of myMacBook Air.  I could easily love with this as my end game (would probably save my hearing instead of running the Lyr :) - well, except for the dynamics and punch of the Lyr - never mind - I love it for portable use around the house and will use it when I travel.
Quote:

Funny, I have no doubt at all re break in, but have to say I loved the Dragonfly from the first moment I heard it.

Using it with my desktop at home as my office system DAC when I am not taking it traveling with my MacBook Pro (with ER-4P IEMs).  In both systems I find it very neutral (no, not analytical).  I can definitely hear the music better than with the MBP's very good phone output or with the excellent ESI Juli@ soundcard in my desktop.

Re Windows players, the Dragonfly seems to work perfectly with XXHighEnd, my preferred player on Windows.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #333 of 2,514
Quote:
x2.. Love it with my HD700 and HE400 out of myMacBook Air.  I could easily love with this as my end game (would probably save my hearing instead of running the Lyr :) - well, except for the dynamics and punch of the Lyr - never mind - I love it for portable use around the house and will use it when I travel.

Finally gave in and ordered a DF this morning, should have it Friday.

You, my friend....are bad for my wallet.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #334 of 2,514
Will be interesting to see how it pairs with the HE500 & HD650.. let us know. Definitely let it burn in for a while.
Sorry 'bout your wallet (again).. and mine!
Quote:
Finally gave in and ordered a DF this morning, should have it Friday.

You, my friend....are bad for my wallet.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #335 of 2,514
Quote:
Will be interesting to see how it pairs with the HE500 & HD650.. let us know. Definitely let it burn in for a while.
Sorry 'bout your wallet (again).. and mine!

Will do. I'm hearing 200 hrs burn-in! That right?

I hope the DF and Senn IE7's pair nicely for traveling.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #336 of 2,514
Will do. I'm hearing 200 hrs burn-in! That right?

I hope the DF and Senn IE7's pair nicely for traveling.

It pairs beautifully with the HD650's and, yes, around 200 hours was the sweet spot for my DF. :D

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #338 of 2,514
What would you characterize as the changes due to burn-in for this thing?  

For me, I found it smooths out the highs and softens the sibilants. The Bass also firmed up. I would describe it now as a fuller sound than out of he box. I am enjoying it with both a PC and JRiver with .WAV's/FLAC's and the Mac with AIFF. I am using the Hd650's, the B&W P5's and the Etymotic hf3's. All work very well with the DF.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #339 of 2,514
Quote:
For me, I found it smooths out the highs and softens the sibilants. The Bass also firmed up. I would describe it now as a fuller sound than out of he box. I am enjoying it with both a PC and JRiver with .WAV's/FLAC's and the Mac with AIFF. I am using the Hd650's, the B&W P5's and the Etymotic hf3's. All work very well with the DF.

Cool, thanks.  When not in use I'm going to let it run with my Thunderpants at near max volume to load it up.  Looks like my GR07 MkIIs are showing up tomorrow :)

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #340 of 2,514
Quote:

Cool, thanks.  When not in use I'm going to let it run with my Thunderpants at near max volume to load it up.  Looks like my GR07 MkIIs are showing up tomorrow :)

I just unpacked my new HP-P1 for the road...
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #341 of 2,514
Hey, I'm probably saving up to an amp/dac for my laptop. As I currently don't own anything to improve on my laptop (which has a lot of noise going on and the sq is... poor). I'm not very good at the sound thing. Just started out but I've bought a few iems; Gr07, Se535, Regiant A03, Re0 (however haven't listened to the Re0 or Se535 as they are my motivation for losing weight and running).

So, my question is. How does DF compare to E17 out of a price/performance perspective. Is the 100$ difference worth it? Will I miss anything compared to the features of the E17 or are they just "gimmicks"? Do you feel like you miss any features on the DF or will the sq alone be enough for me? I'm not much of an eq-guy, I want to listen to my iems and not the sound that I created for them (however this may change).

Thanks in advance! :)

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #342 of 2,514
Quote:
Hey, I'm probably saving up to an amp/dac for my laptop. As I currently don't own anything to improve on my laptop (which has a lot of noise going on and the sq is... poor). I'm not very good at the sound thing. Just started out but I've bought a few iems; Gr07, Se535, Regiant A03, Re0 (however haven't listened to the Re0 or Se535 as they are my motivation for losing weight and running).
So, my question is. How does DF compare to E17 out of a price/performance perspective. Is the 100$ difference worth it? Will I miss anything compared to the features of the E17 or are they just "gimmicks"? Do you feel like you miss any features on the DF or will the sq alone be enough for me? I'm not much of an eq-guy, I want to listen to my iems and not the sound that I created for them (however this may change).
Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the E17, which I find fantastic.  I especially appreciate the bass/treble adjustments on it for quick, simple sq adjustment.  I will be able to directly compare to the DF in a day or two as it is being delivered this afternoon!  In the IEM dept, I use mostly the GR07, but the SE530 (which I find superior to the SE535 due to its shape),  and Westone 4 as well.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #343 of 2,514
Quote:
I have the E17, which I find fantastic... I use mostly the GR07

I also have the E17 and a GR07 MkII should be delivered today.  But I want to let everything burn-in for awhile before commenting on that combo (I guess the GR07 really needs it due to a sibilance issue).

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #344 of 2,514
Quote:

I also have the E17 and a GR07 MkII should be delivered today.  But I want to let everything burn-in for awhile before commenting on that combo (I guess the GR07 really needs it due to a sibilance issue).

I never noticed a change after the first few days.  I can hear what others are calling sibilance, but it doesn't bother me unless it's a very poor recording.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #345 of 2,514
Quote:
I never noticed a change after the first few days.  I can hear what others are calling sibilance, but it doesn't bother me unless it's a very poor recording.

I figured that much... someone did say they compared a new one vs. one that had been heavily used and barely heard a difference.  I'm pretty dubious about burn-in as a whole past the first 10-20 hours and think it's mostly a mental adjustment (unless we're talking about sizable caps or diaphragms) but I do want to give the DF some more hours as well just to be fair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back