AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #2,056 of 2,514
Schiit Magni or O2 amplifiers, Schiit if you are in the US, O2 is cheaper option outside US.  Both are great can't go wrong with either.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,058 of 2,514
hi,i own an audinst hud mini.do you think i make a good choice to sell the audinst and take the dragonfly? is it an upgrade ?
I say yes, get the DF.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,060 of 2,514
It's been over a year since the 1.2 was released and I was wondering if a new release was coming shortly?
I don't know why they'd release a new model so soon after the DF1.2. Audioquest have captured the market at the $150 - $200 price point and have gotten many audiophile awards and glowing reviews for the Dragonfly. Not unless somebody can make a better chip that's just as inexpensive. I love the DF's size and easy UI with my MacBook Pro. Now if somebody could make a DAC the size of a pack of chewing gum that sounded as good as the Light Harmonic DaVinci and cost only a couple hundred bucks that would be amazing. Maybe in another 20 years when we'll be using only thumb prints and flying cars. Highly unlikely though!

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,062 of 2,514
I don't know why they'd release a new model so soon after the DF1.2. Audioquest have captured the market at the $150 - $200 price point and have gotten many audiophile awards and glowing reviews for the Dragonfly. Not unless somebody can make a better chip that's just as inexpensive. I love the DF's size and easy UI with my MacBook Pro. Now if somebody could make a DAC the size of a pack of chewing gum that sounded as good as the Light Harmonic DaVinci and cost only a couple hundred bucks that would be amazing. Maybe in another 20 years when we'll be using only thumb prints and flying cars. Highly unlikely though!

They have to stay relevant. Just creating a market segment isn't enough to drive long term sales...

That and the new model(s) will feature DSD, 192/24, and Apple/android compatibility... that's enough reason right there, isn't it?

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,063 of 2,514
Anyone here knows how the DF 1.2 compares against the Gen1 modi?

Was planning to get one for my desktop rig and retire the DF for portable duties only. Is the Modi any better?

If you were local to the U.S. I would send you my Modi for free.

I just got the DF 1.2 today actually for mobile use. I would say that the DF has all the width, presence, and extension I would look for in a DAC. It's get's out the way of the music and even makes my Beats sound better! (no bashing)

Will try it later with the LCD-Xs and report back.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,064 of 2,514
I just got the DF 1.2 today actually for mobile use. I would say that the DF has all the width, presence, and extension I would look for in a DAC. It's get's out the way of the music and even makes my Beats sound better! (no bashing)

Will try it later with the LCD-Xs and report back.

Do you use your dragonfly with your phone or just laptop. If so, did you get the USB dac app?

I was wondering if the dragonfly does anything with streaming audio or if it's only useful with the USB DAC app because that app actually detects your rate, 41 48 or 96 and automatically adjusts to that rate. without the app is it matching the sample rate? In windows you have to manually adjust the rate so can you just set it to 96 and let it down sample or should you change the rate for each song?

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #2,065 of 2,514
It's magenta right now on my mac streaming tidal, so I guess it's downsampling. I'll try switching to 44.1 and see if I hear a difference. I also have bitperfect that can  autoswitch but don't use it much anymore. I'll give it a go

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,067 of 2,514
Well I did not a hear a difference between 44.1 and 96K streaming Tidal. If there is a difference my ears aren't good enough. So i leave it at 96K. By the way this little thing does  hell of a job with the X. It's a keeper at this price point for sure.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2,069 of 2,514
I did have the Dragonfly 1.2 for about a week and determined it wasn't enough of a jump from my on-board sound card in my laptop to justify the cost. I did extensive A/Bing and while the Dragonfly was a definite improvement as far as imaging, detail, etc. it was overall pretty slight compared to what I already had. That's not a knock on the Dragonfly, I don't think....I think it's just a testament to how good my on-board sound card seems to be. I heard maybe a $75 improvement, not a $150 one, unfortunately. I did however get the Geek Out 450 and that's a MAJOR jump up from the on-board sound though. And it was cheaper than the Dragonfly ($120 vs $150) so I came out on top there. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,070 of 2,514
  I did have the Dragonfly 1.2 for about a week and determined it wasn't enough of a jump from my on-board sound card in my laptop to justify the cost. I did extensive A/Bing and while the Dragonfly was a definite improvement as far as imaging, detail, etc. it was overall pretty slight compared to what I already had. That's not a knock on the Dragonfly, I don't think....I think it's just a testament to how good my on-board sound card seems to be. I heard maybe a $75 improvement, not a $150 one, unfortunately. I did however get the Geek Out 450 and that's a MAJOR jump up from the on-board sound though. And it was cheaper than the Dragonfly ($120 vs $150) so I came out on top there. 

Apparently they require 150 hours of burn-in to work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back