Audiophile/best sounding mp3 players out to date...post here!!!!
Aug 3, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #46 of 57

Quote:
thanks for the quick detailed reply!
beyersmile.png

No problem, just doing my best to avoid starting doing my Japanese language homework. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #47 of 57
ok i love my sflo2 but(regarding the line out) the fact that there is an active dac output stage in the shape of the opa2604 makes me think this limits the impact of an external amp ,even if you use some high end amp with fully descrete output ,the fact that its passing through a $1 opamp must have some impact.
any thoughts on this?

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #48 of 57
The HM-801 sounds amazing, and absolutely rips my Cowon S9 to shreds. No contest. Unfortunately its very big and very expensive. Head-direct has just opened up pre-orders on the 602 for $369, which I would expect to sound perhaps 80-90% as good as its big brother. The DAC and op amps used in the 602 aren't quite at the top shelf level of the 801, but they are still considerably better than anything used by Cowon, Sony, or Microsoft. The 602 also has 16GB of internal storage for a maximum of 48GB with SD card, while the 801 I think only has 2GB internal. There will very likely be a 602 in my future.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #49 of 57
yes ,the rockgrottos veiw of hifimans opamp

[size=large]Test Seven: [size=medium]  Burr Brown OPA 627 BP on Browndog adaptor   Price: £28 each (Total £56 for 2 singles) Browndog adaptor £5    Total: £61[/size][/size]
[size=medium]Two words sum this chip up........ "absolute class" This is the only single chip in the test (the rest all being duals) and it was necessary to fit two single channel 627's onto a single to dual Browndog adaptor which Adapts two single-channel DIP-8 op-amps to a dual DIP-8 pinout.   These 2 single channel op amps absolutely trounced anything that had gone before them in this test..... the width of the soundstage, the clarity and the sheer presence make this my choice of op amp for use in the Chiarra without a shadow of a doubt. The sound is just so "clean", so "natural", so "musical" and so "detailed" with the 627's on board. I said the AD 823 was "as close to headphone heaven I have yet been" The Burr Brown 627 "is" headphone heaven....... absolute class act. 10 / 10[/size]

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #50 of 57
Colorfly C3 + C&C BH amp + Musical Fidelity eb50. i find this setup hard to beat considering relatively low cost and amazing sound quality per buck spent.

HF801, RWAK100, IBasso, Terra and similar cost 500$ and over for the player alone. C3+BH altogether cost just slightly under 200$ and that leaves you some good money to be spent on great IEMs or headphones.

of course if someone tells me that going from C3+BH to expensive DAPs is like upgrading from 20K hifi to 100K hifi i will upgrade that same day. but i doubt any expensive DAP will sound 2 times better compared to C3. so right now C3+BH combo looks to me like a big winner. you may add highly revealing Musical Fidelity IEMs and may not need upgrading anymore. using headphones is another opera but i am not big fan of full size helmets and prefer either portable on the way or full size rig punch at home. i was a DJ in younger years and frankly speaking i developed hate for full size earphones as i had to use them during sessions and also at home recording and re-combining music material. 5-6 hours non-stop usage a day of helmets will make anyone hate them :frowning2:

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #52 of 57
As far as phones go, the HTC DNA is by far the best I've heard. It says it has a dedicated headphone amp. While I don't really believe marketing on products like this it really does sound excellent.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #54 of 57
Much better. iPhone 4 is pretty average in sound quality.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #55 of 57
Lots tell me their iphone 4 sounds the best. 

I laugh.
Not surprised, some people cannot tell apart Beethoven symphony from flush sound in toilet. :)
Death ears are often a cause especially if a wild bear stepped on them in childhood. However Apple also has crowds of fanatics who will praise whatever sh"t Apple will issue no doubt.
But anyone with good hearing would reckon limitations of iPhone 4 on first listen, the only way i see the use of iPod player is in car and only via USB.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #57 of 57
  Lots tell me their iphone 4 sounds the best. 

I laugh.

I under stand you i really frustrated about this topic MP3 players, I own a zune HD (yes I was one of those who believed in the power of a Wolfson DAC over a big Apps store, I was wrong) but after so much time my mp3 player battery is almost dead and to try to buy another new Zune HD is impossible. so I decided is time to move on and see if there is a good mp3 player out there, silly of me all reviews seems from 2005-2009 era, cnet, youtube reviewers or even here!.

Seems like no one care anymore about mp3 players, the idea now is "Just get the last version of Iphone or ipod and buy the biggest and most expensive headphones you can" this idea is so lame, is like tell someone go an buy a very expensive set of speakers and do not care about which home theater receiver you are going to use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back