Audiophile/best sounding mp3 players out to date...post here!!!!
Jul 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #32 of 57
Best I have heard so far is the DIY Imod Ipod, granted I have not heard the Sflo2 or the Hifiman.
RC

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #33 of 57

Quote:
microsd mate, microsd.

Heard that one can only use a 16gig msd...24 sounds appealing...but 32 is better!!!
IF one can add more than that..well honkey dorey!

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #35 of 57
s:flo 2 has superb sound for both HO and LO, it can be expanded by microSD up to 32gb. i use a microsd to sd adaptor (yes, small to big) with a 32gb sd card. works like wonders. i have 40gb of music on my sflo. only problem is the UI that, while  stable, is totally unintuitive.

compared to an imod with a valgrind caps and d10, the sflo's headout loses only slightly in my opinion. in fact it should easily beat it hands down when properly amp. 

my .02 though

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #37 of 57
Well is the HiFI Man bigger than the Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox, I have 2 of these Nomad Jukeboxes in my collection and though they are an old player I still love their SQ, as they say an oldie but a goldie.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 57
Best sounding DAP that I own so far has to be my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze V2 alongside my Cowon J3, Sansa Clip+ and Sony X1060

Art

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #39 of 57
The 5.5 G DIYMOD - > PICO AMP/DAC is the best portable setup this young ear's heard. Considerably better than the X Walkman (which I also own). The DIYMOD simply has more bass, better clarity and is more adept at vocals as well. Sure, comparing an amped setup and unamped player is unfair but hey, you guys asked for it.

I find that amping the X's headphone out makes little difference. Haven't tried amping the line out yet. Would be really appreciative if someone would chime in whether it's worth it or not.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #42 of 57

Quote:
Well is the HiFI Man bigger than the Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox, I have 2 of these Nomad Jukeboxes in my collection and though they are an old player I still love their SQ, as they say an oldie but a goldie.

Which Nomad have you got? I used to own the Nomad Jukebox 3 before I got the Zen Touch in 2005 and gave the NJ3 to my sister and brother in law who still uses it as a portable stereo when they go on vacation.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #44 of 57

Quote:
Danneq, you have many players, which do you use most often? Which is your favorite?

If I would rank the 5 that I use daily now (my iRiver H120 excluded since it is still back in Sweden), it would be in this order:
Kenwood HD20GA7
Sansa View (with a Fiio E5 for some extra bass)
Creative Zen Touch
Cowon S9
Creative Zen Vision:M (with a Fiio E5 for some extra bass)

It depends on which headphones I pair them with, but overall this is how I rank how I like the sound. The View is paired with a Fiio E5 and they go very well together. The Cowon S9 has got an amazing screen and a very good sound, but the BBE+ EQ does something with the overall sound that I am not too crazy about. It puts a slightly artificial veil over the music, or at least to my ears. I have tweaked the EQ so that it is acceptable.

As you can see, most of the DAP:s are old, but I like the charm of old bricks. They were just made for playing music and newer players are not always better at that.

I have a lot of music so I have arranged it by genres on the different DAP:s. The Kenwood and View has got progressive metal, the ZVM and Zen Touch has got other metal and the S9 has got progressive rock and other non metal music. I have tested the DAP:s with my different headphones and then picked the pairings which sound the best (written down neatly in a small notebook). When I go out, I pick DAP based on what sort of music I feel like listening to. It does sound a bit OCD, but I think that many people with special interests like this one might at least partly fit the OCD description... 
o2smile.gif

I would want to collect more DAP:s, but I do not want players that just sit and collect dust. So I will probably only buy one more. 
frown.gif
   I've got my eyes set on the Victor XA HD 500 which is an old Japanese DAP released in 2005. I like the fact that it comes with a charging cradle with a line out and also a wireless remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back