Audio Technica the master of WOOD
Aug 16, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #331 of 483
Not sure what you mean? The cups swivel left and right, not up and down. The W5000 has notorious lack of ear seal. So, if the question is, how do I get a full ear seal? well you can not lol. Unless you use 3rd party earpads like ZMF universal earpads or others.
ath-w5000_joint.png

Yes, I'm referring to joint connecting the cups and the 3-D band support; the cups turn only by hand. So, on the W1000 the cups swivel freely and conform to the head. On the W5000 they can only be pre-adjusted by hand to the head and will rest whatever cockeyed way you adjust them. Which one is weird? the man with the collection must know, thanks. a remedy?
Found a Reddit post (take it with a grain of salt) saying the ATH AW-KG Naru is rumor for 100 limited models. And looking at the website for the amp, it says "Encompassing the blessings of nature and the culmination of human knowledge, it presents the myriad of expressions within sound. In traditional Japanese culture, "NARUKAMI" refers to the god of thunder, and thunder is seen as a manifestation of the power of nature. The frequent occurrence of thunderstorms in the lunar month of June is also referred to as the "Month of NARUKAMI." The image of NARUKAMI often appears in festivals and traditional dramas, symbolizing people's reverence for nature." So the headphone and amp might come in next year in June if it doesn't get delayed. If the headphone doesn't cost $9000, maybe I will grab it :eyes:

Official website: https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/narukami/en.html
how did you get the alert for this release? WOOF! looks absolutely incredible-- Kondo has some new competition, and so does Sennheiser. They aren't putting the fancy writing on the headphones anymore, but I'm thinking they still want recognition in the uber wealthy classical sphere. I am guessing Sennheiser still has the cultural preference there. A-T has had the most outrageous anniversary gear this year, but what about some fresh wood for the people? its over 9000 hahah

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #332 of 483
how did you get the alert for this release? WOOF! looks absolutely incredible-- Kondo has some new competition, and so does Sennheiser. They aren't putting the fancy writing on the headphones anymore, but I'm thinking they still want recognition in the uber wealthy classical sphere. I am guessing Sennheiser still has the cultural preference there. A-T has had the most outrageous anniversary gear this year, but what about some fresh wood for the people? its over 9000 hahah
That was because Msing created a dedicated thread for the new amp here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-technica-narukami-tube-amp-preamp.969340/

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #333 of 483
Yes it is indeed Kurogaki.

There are 100 units produced -

90 standard units

10 bundled with every amp purchase including a more luxurious cable and other package changes

Hopefully I get to hear it myself...! Most of them are going to remain in Asia.
Dang, 90 units? I can already tell it's going to be like 5 in NA and out of my reach. Hope you get to hear one and if you can, tell us how it sounds. Very curious to see how they tune a headphone that is meant to be a package headphone for their new 300B tube amp.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #334 of 483
Here is how it looks like in real life. 50KG one huge monster. But seriously I would rather spend 80k on something else instead tbh haha

Attachments

• afcc168cddd736b4f960dd0f9b2615d1.jpeg
    afcc168cddd736b4f960dd0f9b2615d1.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #337 of 483
Keep in mind, these headphones are a threat 80% of the vendors at CanJam, both W2022 and Wb2022. These all in one's will be able to simulate Carnegie Hall and the most intimate chamber setting on the fly.. Its just beginning.
Tyll has one of his final YouTube views on the subject.. 👍 I am still very impressed how well the cross feed circuit works in my AKG-N90Q's...
I wish I could hear the WB2022 or at least see a frequency graph. I just want to know about the sound signature. Some reviewers say it is smooth and warm and some say analytical. Which one is it?

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #339 of 483
smooth and warm and some say analytical
not sure where to hear them

I had them measured but these are the strangest measurements I have seen in all of my collection. Especially in upper mids. They sound rather coherent in the mids but don't look like that on paper, so I decided not to ever publish this.

They are smooth and warm - but with great technicalities, imaging especially, great depth and width, so someone could say they are analytical, as he "sees" all the sounds layered around him. But this is NOT a bright reference neutral analytical type of sound.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #340 of 483
I had them measured but these are the strangest measurements I have seen in all of my collection. Especially in upper mids. They sound rather coherent in the mids but don't look like that on paper, so I decided not to ever publish this.

They are smooth and warm - but with great technicalities, imaging especially, great depth and width, so someone could say they are analytical, as he "sees" all the sounds layered around him. But this is NOT a bright reference neutral analytical type of sound.
Thank you!

Oct 7, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #342 of 483

In my head without ever hearing these they seem to have a sound signature like the AWAS. Is that true? Thanks

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #343 of 483
Hey All, seeing people talk about the foam replacement in the Sony MDR-R10 thread got me thinking I should actually check what the insides of my headphones look like.

I never really did anything like this before, so wanted to ask this forum these questions:

1. If anybody have ever disassembled and reassembled their ATH Woodies? If so, is the process is easy or not.
  2. Step by Step direction or a website link for reference would be appreciated.
  3. If you have any pics of your ATH Woody insides, that would be appreciated as well for reference.
  4. If you replace your ATH woody foam before, what material you used?

Honestly, I think I will most likely only do this with my W10VTG and W1000. Can you even open the L3000 because I don’t even know how the leathering works with that headphone. If anyone ever open their L3000 before and put it back together successfully, any tips on doing that as well will be appreciated.

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #344 of 483
Hey All, seeing people talk about the foam replacement in the Sony MDR-R10 thread got me thinking I should actually check what the insides of my headphones look like.

I never really did anything like this before, so wanted to ask this forum these questions:

1. If anybody have ever disassembled and reassembled their ATH Woodies? If so, is the process is easy or not.
  2. Step by Step direction or a website link for reference would be appreciated.
  3. If you have any pics of your ATH Woody insides, that would be appreciated as well for reference.
  4. If you replace your ATH woody foam before, what material you used?

Honestly, I think I will most likely only do this with my W10VTG and W1000. Can you even open the L3000 because I don’t even know how the leathering works with that headphone. If anyone ever open their L3000 before and put it back together successfully, any tips on doing that as well will be
There is no foam inside the L3000 if I recall correctly. You don’t have to worry about that. You can remove the earpads, loosen those four screws and more screws to get to the driver.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #345 of 483
Thank you very much. That’s actually a huge relief lol. Seeing you guys talk about foam replacement in the MDR-R10 thread got me remembering that my L3000 is almost 20+ years old and my W10VTG is actually almost 30+ years old. I never really did maintenance on it besides applying leather conditioner on the L3000 and wax on the W10VTG. I was worried if I needed to do some maintenance on them in the inside since they are getting pretty old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back