Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Sep 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #196 of 304
According to Mike from Headfonia though monstrously powerful it fares not badly with low impedance headphones, though with some noise; I'd be interested in your impressions of the Dark Star with the W5000 for sure, an unusual combination that might prove very beneficial!

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #197 of 304
Hmmn I didn't realise the Soloist had a high output impedance. What's the output impedance of the Dark Star? I thought it was more suited for high impedance headphones. (edit: above post beat me to it)

I'm generally have it at 8-9 o'clock on the volume wheel with the meier classic amp (0 output impedance). It starts to get really loud above that. 

I still prefer listening acoustic/classical music with the W5000 - compared to other headphones the sound is more in your face, and I find it can sometimes sound slightly 'uneven' in rock music (I don't listen to metal). IMO it is more genre specific than my other cans. YMMV

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #198 of 304
I have W5000 with both HA5000 and WA2 and still with right tubes WA2 sound better than via HA5000. I use AT amp for pure convenience as I have it as part of my computer setup and WA2 works upstairs with main rig. It is not always about pure power but rather something called synergy and I have learned this long time ago. If yo have a chance try it before buy it if not - take the risk and if you do not like ti - sell it. I've really liked W5000 with Single power amp although this particular piece developed some audible hum . Of course we all know what Single power brought in the long rum.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #200 of 304
I do not have photos but there is nothing inside , i mean just wood carved to create kind of resonating chamber , i guess.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #202 of 304
I really enjoyed the AD2000 drivers that I installed in my old Takstar HI2050 so I wanted to try the best of AT's closed line of drivers. Here's the Takstar, it turned out great.

And this is the DT770 that the W5000 drivers are in right now. I have Denon D2000 pads on them too.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #203 of 304
Quote:
I really enjoyed the AD2000 drivers that I installed in my old Takstar HI2050 so I wanted to try the best of AT's closed line of drivers. Here's the Takstar, it turned out great.

And this is the DT770 that the W5000 drivers are in right now. I have Denon D2000 pads on them too.

I should have made clear in previous post that the link thread with the W5000 images was not mine. Someone with better photography skills than me.

Check here for images of W1000X's insides for comparison as well as p.77 of the W1000X thread

I don't trust myself to open my cans up
frown.gif
 But I'd say that the inside chamber of the W5000 is shallower, but over a slightly larger area. The W1000X looks deeper but over a smaller area. That would be my estimate.
----

I do remember going through the thread with the AD2000 build. The AD700X was the first real headphone I owned and I enjoyed them immensely. I would like to try the AD2000X in the future.

I don't know how close your mod will be to the W5000 sound, but I would like to hear your thoughts on them once you've had a good listen. Personally it is my favourite headphone, probably due to its signature suiting particularly well with my preferred music genres. I listen at low levels, as they get loud quick. When too loud they do sound blown out of proportion. I can definitely see why some people will dislike them too.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #204 of 304
I will definitely update you when I'm finished since you've given me all this useful info, I really appreciate it!

Also, if you ever want to upgrade you W1000x's drivers, W5000 drivers only cost $38 each (now let that thought burn a hole in your pocket) plus shipping. Email David at parts@atus.com. PM me if you want them transplanted :wink:

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #205 of 304
Ha I will spare my W1000X for now at least. They've been getting less time than my other headphones recently, but I do enjoy them.

You've probably already enquired yourself, but do AT not sell their wood cups separately? Or their headphone parts for that matter.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #206 of 304
I haven't asked, I'm assuming that's where a lot of the price comes from for these headphones, considering how cheap they sell their drivers for. It wouldn't make sense for them to sell all the parts for less than the complete headphone costs brand new.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #207 of 304
Awesome! I see that you're using the W5000 pads?
Unfortunately, I've not heard the W3000ANV. Speaking of the bass on these cans, I know the weird FR graph shows a steep roll off. But being a closed headphone does give the bass it has quite an impact which my open cans don't. I also find it very well defined and detailed (in general too).

I've been experimenting with resistor adaptors recently, and whereas I found the T1 and the HD650 can sound better with essentially higher amp output impedances, the ATs go the other way, becoming subdued and thin sounding. A 75ohm resistor made the W5000 more polite/subdued at the expense of the timbre. I can see some people liking that signature. Perhaps a lower value resistor may do the trick for them who knows.

What's the sound/headstage like with those? I feel like the sound is inside my head, but in a larger cavernous space.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #208 of 304
I had Denon D2000 pads on them when I took these pictures, but put the stock pleather pads back on them since and it sounds even better.

The sound stage is surprisingly wide, I didn't expect that honestly. I was using them while I was having earlier and the sounds were pretty accurate when it came to positioning players on the map in Halo on Xbox One. The music's sound stage is similar to the D2000 even with the stock pads, so still a good sound stage for a closed headphone. I'm really enjoying them right now, such a good sound for the price paid.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #209 of 304
Gonna take the plunge and get a set of these.  Hoping they will be a nice complement to my Grado RS1i's.  I have a choice of amplification, both quite strong... iFi iDSD Micro, or the headphone output of my Icon Audio Stereo20 PP Integrated.  

Can't wait!  I primarily listen to classical and jazz, so I am not too worried about the mixed reviews regarding bass output.  

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #210 of 304
  Gonna take the plunge and get a set of these.  Hoping they will be a nice complement to my Grado RS1i's.  I have a choice of amplification, both quite strong... iFi iDSD Micro, or the headphone output of my Icon Audio Stereo20 PP Integrated.  

Can't wait!  I primarily listen to classical and jazz, so I am not too worried about the mixed reviews regarding bass output.  

Congratulations! Let us know your impressions once you're ready!

I've not heard the RS1i so can't comment, but out of all my headphones, I enjoy listening to music through the W5000 the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back