Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #31 of 1,104
Any new impressions on this? instead of trying to know all of the different signatures of all the new IEMs Im just gonna get a pair of each different type, next on my list, you guessed it, dual dynamic.  Eric, any impressions of this compared to the m200.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #32 of 1,104
  Any new impressions on this? instead of trying to know all of the different signatures of all the new IEMs Im just gonna get a pair of each different type, next on my list, you guessed it, dual dynamic.  Eric, any impressions of this compared to the m200.

Was just comparing them last night. M200 still wins. It's more refined and an airier sound earphone M200 has a bit of a warmer sound signature. Bass, both go deep in the sub-bass. The Im70s mids are quite forward, more so than the M200 (although the M200 doesn't have recessed mids). Highs are more forward in the Im70 too, but not to harsh. Both have great weight to the notes (IM70 has more weight depending on the tips you use). For under $150 the IM70 is one of the best dual dynamics I've heard (it stays in my ears quite a bit). Still, the M200 holds the spot for best earphone I've heard for $200 or under this year (and one of the best I've ever heard for that price or under). 

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 1,104
Thanks for the impressions Eric, much appreciated.  I do have small ear holes and those m200s look massive and the ear clip things look uncomfortable.  The IM70 looks promising though, with detachable cables, the sound, the price, the form factor (wish they had black), I may still give these a run.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #38 of 1,104
I plan to buy this for my rap and alternative and the TDK IE800s for my R&B and Jazz. Unless, these are also good with soft/relaxing music(euphoric/atmospheric).

I find the IM70's good with all genres due to their fairly balanced presentation. You get the good bass kick and strong vocals for rap, yet for more relaxing music like jazz and piano, the sound is toned down allowing it to excel. Part of this ability is owing to the well controlled treble, its never sibilant, has energy but not too aggressive.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #43 of 1,104
I find the IM70's good with all genres due to their fairly balanced presentation. You get the good bass kick and strong vocals for rap, yet for more relaxing music like jazz and piano, the sound is toned down allowing it to excel. Part of this ability is owing to the well controlled treble, its never sibilant, has energy but not too aggressive.

Excellent, I'll try these out first and if I'm not impressed with it handling soft sounding music than I'll purchase the TDK IE800 as well.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 1,104
My IM70 arrived Tuesday, first impressions are very good
Due to the square profile they will not fit the at-hpp33 case but my Shure SE215 do so I swapped cases
Unfortunately I broke my arm on Monday so the full SE215 vs IM70 contest will have to wait a while
Pre burn in the IM70 beat the SE215 in detail and clarity easily the IM70 is all round a much higher quality sound
I have run them direct from an Ipod classic which powers them easily, through my full triple stack classic-clas-fireyeHD they really lift to a higher level coming close to my Ety er4s
Output impedance does not appear to be an issue I cannot detect any problem areas in the spectrum with the Fireye HD and it has a rated output impedance of 10Ohms
Fit is good the included T500 are a little small but they do not seem to be overly seal sensitive I have some large T500 on the way so will report back on any difference

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #45 of 1,104
Can anyone that owns these make any comparisons to the CKM-500?

That was my next planned AT iem purchase at around $60 SHIPPED from Japan but for roughly 2X the price these seem like a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back